Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to sort this out - its bent!
locoboy

posted on 4/8/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
how to sort this out - its bent!

Hi fellas, I have bought a bit of light salvage to repair and i have stripped it down to get a good look at whats been damaged in the frontal impact.

Its a 206 and the worst bit of damage is on the offside front 'leg' that holds the bumper and is the radiator side support.

As you can see it has been pushed back and will miss align all bumper etc if its not straightened.

It is a hollow structure made up of folded and spot welded sheet steel.

As you can see it has deformed one of the impact absorbing ribs in the front member as it has bent back.

pug 206 front leg repair
pug 206 front leg repair

206 front leg repair
206 front leg repair

I think i need to pull it out somehow.

Any bright ideas on how to do this with regular home mechanic tools and equipment?

ATB
Locoboy

eznfrank

posted on 4/8/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Got another car? Preferably a Landy, oh and a good handbrake
Howlor

posted on 4/8/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Right here goes, home straightning expert at hand.

Either just tow rope round it then round a tree or other suitable imovable object and just push the car back by hand and see if it gives.

The other way I have done it is if you can get a screw jack in somewhere with a block of wood and push it out.

Or just cut and reweld back in place straight.

Mobile jigging guys arn't too expensive though but like me you obviously don't want it to beat you!

Steve

locoboy

posted on 4/8/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
Got another car? Preferably a Landy, oh and a good handbrake

No thanks!

I dismantle land rovers all day long and given some of the post accident states I have seen them in I wouldnt want a prang in one.

I cant think of another car that can go from factory finnish to chassis resembling a doily in 12 years.Tthay even give old fords a run for their money in the rust growth stakes!

ATB
Locoboy

Danozeman

posted on 4/8/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Aslong as theres somewhere to hook onto id wrap a ratchet strap round a tree or a good solid fence post and pull it straight with that. Nice and controllable that way.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

nib1980

posted on 4/8/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
thats a crush member designed to distort in a crash, it can be pulled out if your happy to sell and pre crushed crumple bar to a person thats fine, but they are designed for one use only.

just my two penneth, as I design them.

locoboy

posted on 4/8/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
thats a crush member designed to distort in a crash, it can be pulled out if your happy to sell and pre crushed crumple bar to a person thats fine, but they are designed for one use only.

just my two penneth, as I design them.

I thought thats what ther were, thay cant be replaced though by the look of it and such light impact (no airbag deploymnet) surely cant write a car off can it?

Im happy to straighten it out and sell it on, theres another 2 behind that one! how many more do you need

ATB
Locoboy

rodriguez

posted on 4/8/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
as said above, find something solid and use a big ratchet strap. Done this with many a rally car over the years. fine adjustments can be made with a sensitive adjuster (hammer)

get it lit

skodaman

posted on 4/8/08 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
'I cant think of another car that can go from factory finnish to chassis resembling a doily in 12 years.Tthay even give old fords a run for their money in the rust growth stakes!'

Try an old FIAT Panda. Mot fail for mine resembled an engineering dissertation and was probably longer.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 4/8/08 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
My Clio was like that, I cut it then jacked it out with a scissor jack and 3"x2" block against a solid bit of bodywork and welded it back up. We ran it for 5 years and then it was stolen.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tootall

posted on 4/8/08 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
im a pannel beater and paintsprayer i would just do as others say and put a rope round lower part of damage and tie it to another car or tree and role it back under its own waight then when its nearly where u want it keep rope under tention and tap the crumple zone about with pannle hamer.
if u realy wanted u can buy chassie leg sections and cut and weld in but that is so minor damage its not worth doing .
good thing is these french cars are made of tin foil so should move really easy

[Edited on 4/8/08 by tootall]

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
French cars are soft as soft stuff as has already been metioned. This will easily pull out. Loop the rope through a strong point and attach to the chassis by a fabricated bracket bolted to the existing captive bolt holes in the chassis end plate.

Put an axle stand 2 foot ahead of the chassis to vector the pull upwards and put a piece of 2x2 in the loop and tension by twisting (spanish windlass)

A bit of a bodge, but the best way of emulating professional equipment with materials available at home.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.