Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fiberglassing
Stuart_B

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
fiberglassing

hi all, if i were to make some parts up out of fiberglass how would i do it?

i want to make a pair of theses:

1) fiberglass
fiberglass

2) fiberglass 2
fiberglass 2

3) fiberglass 3
fiberglass 3

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

tegwin

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I recently made a nice air duct thing for my car...

Block of pink builders foam....shop, file sand it into shape...

Wraped it in parcel tape, then in cling film and then lay up with three layers of chopped strand matting....

Worked really well..

And amazingly relaxing lol!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

RK

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly, after mucking about with fibreglassing a bit over the last year or so, I can recommend the following:

1. Anything other than a flat piece - don't bother!

2. Do not under any circumstances use poly resin, use epoxy. The smell will kill you.

There are sites dedicated to vacuum moulding though, that don't look too difficult to set up using a regular vacuum cleaner. This was for parts just like you want. Do an internet search on Vacuum Moulding (Molding in the US).

People will come on saying how easy fibreglassing is, but they are usually very equipped and talented people, which I am neither!!

tegwin

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

2. Do not under any circumstances use poly resin, use epoxy. The smell will kill you.

Both rubbish points.... I have no skills and little experience..... I use poly resin wearing a respirator... (epoxy is equally as dangerous just doesnt smell)..

Try it...

just dont use the stuff from halfords..

Get some proper resin from cfsnet.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Stuart_B

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
hi thanks for the quick responce, where would i get the pink foam from? do b&Q sell it?

im would love to give it a go as i want to start making more things out of fiberglass for my jetski and my kit car.

thanks

stuart

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:

Both rubbish points.... I have no skills and little experience..... I use poly resin wearing a respirator... (epoxy is equally as dangerous just doesnt smell)..

Try it...

just dont use the stuff from halfords..

Get some proper resin from cfsnet.net

Epoxy is less smelly, stronger and less likely to crack when flexed. Sanding dust is not good for you at all so wear a mask with any of the resins but epoxy is worse.

Buy it online as it’s a lot cheaper, for that kind of thing I would buy materials from a model or plane boat materials supplier.

yeah pink foam is in sold packs at B&Q in the insulation section, I bought some there not long ago. Built some nice grp/foam r/c plane wings from it

[Edited on 26/9/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 26/9/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
polyurethane foam is better as it isn't attacked by resin.

polyester resin is a bit smelly but not that much. It doesn't stick to epoxy or cellotape, or wax, or release agent.

You can make copies of things by coating the thing in release wax or PVA release agent then sticking fibre glass over it and letting it dry. Separate this mould from the original part and wax then glass the inside. You have then made a duplicate of the original.

Stuart_B

posted on 26/9/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
i have not goot any of them just because thy are £150 each. that is why i want to make some. to save some money.

thanks

stuart

BenB

posted on 26/9/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

polyester resin is a bit smelly but not that much. It doesn't stick to epoxy or cellotape, or wax, or release agent.

You can make copies of things by coating the thing in release wax or PVA release agent then sticking fibre glass over it and letting it dry. Separate this mould from the original part and wax then glass the inside. You have then made a duplicate of the original.

Without wanting to question you- is that definately true? I thought it was eaten by some polyester resins hence people using floral foam.... but I am very prepared to be proved wrong!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Without wanting to question you- is that definately true? I thought it was eaten by some polyester resins hence people using floral foam.... but I am very prepared to be proved wrong!!!

Yeah pink foam disappears with poly resin as well as superglue. Quite good fun to watch, like in the film Alien

When I was a wee kid I had a model spaceshuttle made of white polystyrene foam and I after a while I broke its wing so I got some polystyrene cement (very bad choice of name) glued it up. Came back later and to my horror only the nose was left!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so distraught

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 26/9/08 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently making some bodywork with yellow PU foam. The polyester hasn't eaten the foam at all. The result is surprisingly tough.
RK

posted on 26/9/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
One of my points was that someone has to be "well equipped", meaning HAS A RESPIRATOR when using poly resin. Don't underestimate the process; Nobody is going to come on and say "oh, I can't do it, so neither can you". I am not saying that, I'm saying "get a bunch of equipment, realise the hazards and effort needed, and make your own decision".

One thing that really irritates me about these car building sites is that everyone thinks that because THEY were successful (in their opinion) everyone else can have the same successes. This is simply not true, and often, less than honest. Everything is possible, just not realistic. See R. Champion, "How to Build...."

[Edited on 26/9/08 by RK]

mr henderson

posted on 26/9/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
One of my points was that someone has to be "well equipped", meaning HAS A RESPIRATOR when using poly resin. Don't underestimate the process; Nobody is going to come on and say "oh, I can't do it, so neither can you". I am not saying that, I'm saying "get a bunch of equipment, realise the hazards and effort needed, and make your own decision".

One thing that really irritates me about these car building sites is that everyone thinks that because THEY were successful (in their opinion) everyone else can have the same successes. This is simply not true, and often, less than honest. Everything is possible, just not realistic. See R. Champion, "How to Build...."

[Edited on 26/9/08 by RK]

I think I am inclined to agree with that. Some people are better at some tasks than others. I've done a bit of grp work in the past, and had problems with it. Now I would find another way of achieving what I wanted.

On the other hand, my guitar making is quite good (although I haven't done any for a few years, stopped whn I found out that guitar players don't have any money )

John

[Edited on 26/9/08 by mr henderson]

RK

posted on 26/9/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, even less than kit car builders. But so satisfying isn't it? The best part is that if they get scratched, you just spray some more clear coat on and polish away. When the pickups start to get scratchy, you just resolder without worry. And when you record something with a bunch of other instruments on there and your part is really YOUR part, and nobody believes that you actually made it yourself, you can't beat it!
Bigheppy

posted on 26/9/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Be very careful if you do use epoxy it could kill you. A few years ago I was into building radio controlled planes and oftem moulded cowls etc using epoxy. I was found to have a serious liver problem which was caused by a chemical found in epoxy resin. I cant remember its name, but found out that it is not always listed in the ingredients, its absorbed through the skin and attacks the liver. The best way to avoid this is to wear latex gloves, barrier cream a respirator and protective overalls. This may be overkill if joining a few bits but if you are moulding I would say its a must.
mr henderson

posted on 26/9/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
And when you record something with a bunch of other instruments on there and your part is really YOUR part, and nobody believes that you actually made it yourself, you can't beat it!

That ain't going to happen with me, I can strum a bit and I know all the chords, but my playing is sh!t.

John

mr henderson

posted on 26/9/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bigheppy makes a good point. All these useful chemicals tend to have nasty side issues.

I know a lot of people hate wearing gloves, especially when doing delicate work, but it really is essential.

One thing worth mentioning about epoxy, is to make sure it is warm enough. With most epoxies the viscosity goes down quite a bit as they are warmed, which usually makes them a lot easier (and quicker) to work.

John

RK

posted on 27/9/08 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
I just heard some early pre signing Clash, and the playing wasn't exactly David Gilmour or whatever, if you know what I mean. You can disguise a lot by production and sometimes the supposedly simple playing is best anyways.

And I have been careful to avoid touching epoxy due to it's incredibly sticky nature. I wash it all off with acetone if I get some on my skin by accident (even though I wear vinyl gloves.) But in general, I can't do the very nice work I've seen others do, so personally, I limit things to flat simple pieces or just to coat bondo for a smooth finish. It's all just ridiculously messy in every possible way and deceivingly difficult to do well.

JC

posted on 27/9/08 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen the latest kitcar mag? They have a feature on a new material called Curon - it looks ideal for making small parts. All you do is peel the backing off a sheet of the stuff, push it into the mould, then peel the backing sheet off the other side. It reacts with the UV in the light and hardens. I have no knowledge of it other than the article but they have a website - www.curon.co.uk. The stuff is used for roofing btw!

If anyone has used this, I would be interested to know how they got on

mr henderson

posted on 27/9/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
Have you seen the latest kitcar mag? They have a feature on a new material called Curon - it looks ideal for making small parts. All you do is peel the backing off a sheet of the stuff, push it into the mould, then peel the backing sheet off the other side. It reacts with the UV in the light and hardens. I have no knowledge of it other than the article but they have a website - www.curon.co.uk. The stuff is used for roofing btw!

If anyone has used this, I would be interested to know how they got on

Clickable link
http://www.curon.co.uk/

looks interesting, although looking at the daya sheet, it's only 10-30% glass.

[Edited on 27/9/08 by mr henderson]

Triton

posted on 27/9/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nowt like the smell of poly resin first thing in the morning....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.