Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is this a spoof?
JoelP

posted on 24/5/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
is this a spoof?

this is an email i recieved the other day, but the wording seems a bit familiar to be real.

quote:

Dear eBay member,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.
The login attempt was made from:
IP address: 68.190.191.68
ISP Host: 68-190-191-68.slt-cres.charterpipeline.net

By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site. However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity. Thus, we have established an offline verification system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with. The system is called ebay PowerSafe and it's the most secure eBay wallet so far.

If you are the rightful holder of the account, click on the link below, fill the form and then submit as we will verify your identity and register you to ebay PowerSafe.

Complete eBay Registration By clicking here
To make eBay.com the most secure site to place or bid on your auctions,every user will be registered to PowerSafe.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

* Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Regards, eBay Inc.

heres the header:

Reply-To : "aw-confirm@ebay.com" <aw-confirm@ebay.com>
Sent : 24 May 2004 18:54:30
To : <joel_patrick@hotmail.com>
Subject : TKO Notice: eBay Account Verification

| | | Inbox

MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from smtp.excite.com ([63.236.75.74]) by mc4-f1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713); Mon, 24 May 2004 14:12:35 -0700
Received: from produse_no1@excite.com (port-212-202-224-62.reverse.qsc.de [212.202.224.62])by smtp.excite.com (Postfix) with SMTP id 1185C1957Bfor <joel_patrick@hotmail.com>; Mon, 24 May 2004 14:56:29 -0400 (EDT)
X-Message-Info: 6sSXyD95QpW9bCu2MAVVDySSBnjeaSgw
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-Id: <20040524185629.1185C1957B@smtp.excite.com>
Return-Path: aw-confirm@ebay.com
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 24 May 2004 21:12:36.0262 (UTC) FILETIME=[D64EF460:01C441D3]

can anyone tell if its real? i know someone has tried something bent with my account cos when i changed address it had an american address stored too. but when i ignored the last one like this, my account never got suspended as this one threatens.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Hellfire

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Joel - as a user of ebay. I would login to the account - alter passwords and confirm addresses and other personal details. Sounds like your account has been hacked. When you are in your account make sure the padlock is visible at the bottom right of your screen - also the website extension ends in *.shtml.

Your email doesn't look genuine as the originator is excite in germany.

Course I may be totally wrong!!!!

I love speed :-P

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
try this site

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identitytheft/032804-Security_Measures_SafeHarbor_KMM82003618V76837L0KM-EBAY.php

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
I love speed :-P

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
o and this 1

http://www.lawdiscussion.com/archive/topic/8037-1.html

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gjn200

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Load of balls mate. My aol ip changes at every logon and I also use auction stealer that bids from a different place entirley. Never had an email like that, and why 'ebay member' and not your sign in?

<- Me!

andrew-theasby

posted on 24/5/04 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Id agree too, just change your password through the normal way(dont use the link) just to be sure. I had two similar ones a while ago with the ebay logo etc, and came from the address normal ebay stuff shows up as, but it asked for my ebay password and e-mail password. I sent it to ebay and they said they would never ask for a password over the e-mail.
Surrey Dave

posted on 25/5/04 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Delete It!

I've had these , just delete them and forget it or forward it to ebay.

My account has never been suspended.

JoelP

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
cheers all! i'll change passwords now. damn its hard to remember them all as it is though!

JoelP

posted on 25/5/04 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
When you are in your account make sure the padlock is visible at the bottom right of your screen - also the website extension ends in *.shtml.

theres no .shtml and theres no padlock. There is when i do on line banking though. How do i sort this out?! the bastards...

Peteff

posted on 25/5/04 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Forward it to ebay with headers.

Did you copy and paste it Joel. Too many mistakes for a professional.
system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with.
to temporally suspend. They don't make mistakes like that, grammar and spelling are checked I think. I know people who have received these emails who don't even use ebay so it's obviously someone sending them out on an off-chance of fooling someone.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

richijenkin

posted on 25/5/04 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
http://broadroom.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=55899&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=

JoelP

posted on 25/5/04 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
word for word the same...!

off to send it to spoof@ebay.co.uk now.

someone should get these bastards and stick them in the human recycling machine i once mentioned... B.A.M.Fs.

[Edited on 25/5/04 by JoelP]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/5/04 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I recon your accoutn was always safe. This is someone asking for you to give info about your account so they can hijack it. After all, if its from ebay, they already know your details cos its on their servers!

Ignore it.

atb

steve

Hellfire

posted on 25/5/04 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally quoted by Joelp
i know someone has tried something bent with my account cos when i changed address it had an american address stored too

SteveG - maybe not!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/5/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
does Joel mean a delivery adress in his ebay details OR an american adress in the email header?

If its american in his account adress, they must already have the password to have changed it - if its in the email header, thats a possible indicator of a foreign scam - or that ebay uk is serviced from america

atb
steve

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally quoted by Joelp
i know someone has tried something bent with my account cos when i changed address it had an american address stored too

SteveG - maybe not!

JoelP

posted on 26/5/04 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
i went to the change address section in ebay, and one saved address was in the bad ol' US of A. Might go and have a fiddle now actually...

Hellfire

posted on 26/5/04 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
..... Might go and have a fiddle now actually...

Whooaaa!! Too much information....

JoelP

posted on 26/5/04 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
IM BACK!!!! always good to fiddle..!

gotta say, ebay layout is crap. I havent found how to change passwords yet, even after going to the help section! cretins...

Peteff

posted on 26/5/04 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I can't find the fiddle on ebay.

Sod it I'll stick with my harmonica.
Sign into ebay and go to the "my ebay" section Joel. Then click the preferences tab next to the end one. All the sections are there to change your password etc.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 26/5/04 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, i was using the new version that they bang on about, but they havent upgraded the help section to cover it yet! but i worked it out and temporarily went back to the old version, and there it was...

is anyone else using the beta thingamebob that they're testing?

Peteff

posted on 26/5/04 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
In the version 2 beta

The same sections are down the left hand side under my account, Personal Information. I keep switching from one to the other ready for when they change.

yours, Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.