Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: simple communication controller.
paulf

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
simple communication controller.

I have upgraded my PC to windows XP professional, but now have a problem with the modem.The modem is recognised but does not respond when tested, In the device list I have a query against the pci simple communications controller.
Is this a driver that i require for the pCI bus or do I need to upgrade the Bios?.
I managed to find an upgraded bios but am reluctant to try flashing it as it is not something i have done before .
I need to get the modem working to upgrade the other drivers on the PC.
Paul.

N*E*R*D

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
look for an upgraded Driver on the net for your modem the simple controled is a windows default !

so find a new driver for the modem and leave the Bios alone !

Try the manufactuers web site failing that go to http://www.driverguide.com/

[Edited on 27/5/04 by N*E*R*D]

"Good Bad I'm the guy with the gun"

paulf

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
i did actually upgrade the modem driver and the modem is recognised as on the system and working but does not respond when queryied.
In the system manager there is a yellow query mark against the communication controller, I thought that i would be able to find a generic version but so far no luck.
All i got was a load of addware on my system whilst looking on the various driver sites.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by N*E*R*D
look for an upgraded Driver on the net for your modem the simple controled is a windows default !

so find a new driver for the modem and leave the Bios alone !

Try the manufactuers web site failing that go to http://www.driverguide.com/

[Edited on 27/5/04 by N*E*R*D]

N*E*R*D

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
have you upgraded to win xp SP1?
have you tryed deleating the simple comunication port and tryed refreshing the system manager it should refind the controler and re-load it
i would give that a go first

"Good Bad I'm the guy with the gun"

splitrivet

posted on 27/5/04 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
If its an intel v92 modem Ive had this problem before,upgraded to the xp driver that came with the modem but still gave me probs with XP,had to go to the intel site for a new driver.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 27/5/04 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 27/5/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
If it's an old Rockwell or Conexant who I think took them over you may as well sling it now. I fitted an intel ham in place of one for a friend as it never worked under xp. Driverguide as mentioned is the place to go. Check that it's been allocated to the same com port as it was on before as some will only work on Com4. Windows definition is standard modem type, you could try installing it as this instead of using P&P, it will work but not have any special features like fax voice.

[Edited on 27/5/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/04 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Ditch it and use an external modem, now that broadband is taking off it is easy to pick up a decent one for pennies off ebay -- postage usually cost more than the modem.
paulf

posted on 29/5/04 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
That thought had crossed my mind, but now sorted and working.Managed to find a driver that worked and reinstalled modem.
Now just need to run ServicePack1 and set up antivirus etc. Is the built in firewall in XP professional any good?.
I think i will be going for broadband soon but can only get it on cable at present as no bt service in my area yet.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Ditch it and use an external modem, now that broadband is taking off it is easy to pick up a decent one for pennies off ebay -- postage usually cost more than the modem.

britishtrident

posted on 30/5/04 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
The built in firewall on Xp works but by default as it came out the box the Xp firewall left all the ports open --- in effect the firewall didn't block anything even if you turned it on at instalation . A microsoft security update fixes this but on my clients Xp machines I tend to turn the XP firewall off and run Kerio.
Xp needs massive number of mega bytes of security updates downloaded to keep it secure I tell clients its only practical with access to a broadband connection.

[Edited on 30/5/04 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.