Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: scanners.....
spunky

posted on 21/6/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
scanners.....

I need to send off some documents via e-mail (bank statements, gas bill etc)
Scanned said documents and attach to e-mail ok, but when printing the attachment the quality so poor they a virtually illegible.
Scanned using OCR also converted to BMP image rather than JPEG. Increased resolution. Tried copy/pasting to various other programs but still cack.
Is there a way of doing this, or is it just one of them things that screws a PC since it treats a simple text doc. the same as a hi-res photo?
Any one help... BTW I'm a hairy arsed engineer, not an IT boffin, so nothing to complicated.
Oh yeah, I can't fax direct, I don't have a land line.

Cheers
John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Hellfire

posted on 21/6/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I depends on the resolution of your scanner - it sounds like you're scanning resolution is 72dpi which is the dpi that screens display in. To print in a reasonable quality 200dpi is normally acceptable, set colour to black/white (not colour or greyscale as filesize is quite large).

Hope this helps.

flak monkey

posted on 21/6/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Scan them using something like photoshop. Scan at a resolution of about 250-300dpi and use grey scale. Thats how i scan documents, they are easily readable and the files are still pretty small.

(Dont bother with OCR unless the page is just plain text like in a book. It gets too confused with forms, small text and logos.)

Hope that helps,
David

[damn beaten to it ]

[Edited on 21/6/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

spunky

posted on 21/6/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,
Been scanning at 300dpi, which is overkill.
I'll try Photoshop.

Cheers
John

Note to Flatmonkey,
have you tried typing "the shocker" into google. It explains what the young lady in your avatar is suggesting....

[Edited on 21/6/04 by spunky]

SteveO

posted on 21/6/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
If you scanned using OCR you should be able to save it in word which will be clear to fax. do not save as .bmp or jpg

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 22/6/04 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Depends a lot on the scanner and software some scanners don't work well with standard twain drivers. OCR I have always found a waste of time unless you are scanning a lot of almost identical documents.

Try scanning at 150 to 200 DPI in black and white -- Microsoft Imaginging gives lousey results so I use Paint Shop Pro for this.

Tip not connected directly with original question --- anyone buying a scanner for home/SOHO use look at a Hewlett-Packard all in one printer-scanners much better than the oposition - very reliable, decent scans and copies and faster than most other printers-scanners at the same price only downside is cost of cartridges.

Another tip for normal use remove any OCR software from a PC as even sitting as a stub waiting to be called it uses a lot of system resources.

[Edited on 22/6/04 by britishtrident]

spunky

posted on 22/6/04 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
sorted.

Reckon I've cracked it. Scanned at 200dpi using Photosuite in B&W. Much of the quality of the print out seems to depend on the program used at the other end. Opened and printed using Windows fax viewer and the quality is shocking, use a photo specific program and it's pretty good.
Now got to send copies of passport and driving licence...! all this to get a new car for the girlfriend, MX5 so should be worth it. Yes she is a hairdresser

Thanks all for the help
John

pbura

posted on 22/6/04 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Tip not connected directly with original question --- anyone buying a scanner for home/SOHO use look at a Hewlett-Packard all in one printer-scanners much better than the oposition - very reliable, decent scans and copies and faster than most other printers-scanners at the same price only downside is cost of cartridges.

I have one of these (an 1100A), and can endorse BT's comments. I use it as a fax machine and small-scale copier. It comes with a desktop utility that's very handy for editing and sorting scanned pages, adding annotations, etc.

Another downside is the paper feder mechanism (on the printer portion) is subject to wear and wants to grab multiple sheets if the paper tray is not full.

Re: OCR - Flawlessly accurate with numbers but weak with letters, even if spacing is fixed. I use it for converting long printed lists and reports to Excel spreadsheets, and it's indispensable for that purpose.

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.