Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: laptop for CAD
86barettaguy

posted on 23/11/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
laptop for CAD

I'm looking into getting a "new" (probably used) computer. More specifically, I'm looking for a laptop computer which will be good enough to run CATIA V5 and ProE.
I'm thinking ProE won't be a problem, at least not with the version I have available at home right now, but how about CATIA? What are the minimum system requirements for running CATIA V5?
Don't tell me I need a 2.4GHz stationary thing with 1GB graphic memory and 2GB RAM to have it running smoothly because I'm quite aware that a faster computer with more memory will make it work better, just tell me what I need to run it smoothly enough not to go crazy (like with ProE where the whole screen would be messed up when rotating your 3D model if your computer wasn't up to the task).
Oh yes, did I mention it HAS to be a laptop? I'm finding it hard to carry my stationary computer (which won't run catia v5 btw) with me when visiting relatives...

Staple balls

posted on 24/11/04 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the CATIA site and requirements, it seems the requirements are pretty modest

pentium 3/4 cpu
256mb ram (512 reccomended)
2Gb free HDD space.
reasonable graphics chip

however, i would lean strongly towards a higher end machine;

2ghz + pentium 4 (or pentium "m" )
768mb+ ram (512 is in reality the minimum to run windows well)
40gb+ HDD
a proper onboard graphics chip, preferably *NOT* using shared memory.

unfortunately, the site appears to be very specific on what you can use, but not what you can't, so don't hold me to those specs.

also, you should take into account that a machine like this will be portable but will probably weigh the wrong side of 8lbs, and last a good 90mins on battery at best.

unfortunately, the way you set your post out has put me off trying to help you any more than that, at least without some specific requirements and a cheers wouldn't go amiss.

[Edited on 24/11/04 by Staple balls]

86barettaguy

posted on 24/11/04 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, I noticed that info on the catia website. They're not very generous with information, are they? Then again, they don't really have to, do they?

2GHz+ is what they use at work, and although I'd love to have that, it's not really worth what you have to pay for it right now. For laptops that is. Stationary is a different matter altogether. Makes me wish that was what I was looking for...

"unfortunately, the way you set your post out has put me off trying to help you any more than that, at least without some specific requirements and a cheers wouldn't go amiss"

Uhm, was I being rude or something? If so, I apologize.
My specific requirements: I need to have a computer to practice CATIA with and which will also run ProE and Photoshop. There are a lot of reasons to try to make it work with a laptop. Battery time is not something I really care about as I will most likely always be able to plug it in. When I don't have that option, I could always do something else, like read a book. I do not feel the need for fancy graphic options. I'm guessing that for large assemblies, you'll need more memory, but just how much memory would be needed for something like a strat trem (30-40 parts)? How about a complete locost chassis with suspension and bodywork?

A guy at work will be lending me copies of CATIA R5 and R7. Hopefully, I will have them this weekend so that I can try to run them on my fathers laptops, just to see how it works. As long as the software isn't altered too much, it shouldn't matter which version I use, right?

Anyway, I hope someone around here is running CATIA V5 on their "old" laptop and is able to tell me what version they're using and the specs of their laptop.

Now I'm off to re-install ProE. Pleasant evening

86barettaguy

posted on 24/11/04 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so I just tried SW2001 on my stationary (500MHz, 184MB RAM and whatever graphics card compaq decided to put in it) and found that it works quite alright this far. A tad slow maybe, but quite alright for creating solids. Just about any laptop I could find should perform way better than this.

Thinking about it, 184MB can't be correct. Anyone know any reasons as to why there would appear to be less RAM than there should be?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.