Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WMA to MP3
zetec

posted on 28/11/04 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
WMA to MP3

Just spent the last week copying CDs to my PC. Thought a great idea then I can store the CDs away. Copyied using Windows Media Player and files stored as .wma.

Have I dropped a ollock? Can I convert the files for use with MP3 kit? I was going to get a wireless thing to allow the files to be played via an amp from the laptop. Also was going to get a CD/MP3 player for the car, can I still burn CDs with MP3?

Yep real newbie questions, thanks in advance.

Hellfire

posted on 28/11/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've always found MP3 to be more generally catered for. Most of the modern DVD players have MP3 compatibility too. However, if you want to do it your way, you could always use THIS but normally I'd rip straight to MP3 (196Kbps minimum) then burn to CD or whatever using Nero as it converts and burns MP3's in one easy go.

Hope this helps.

Smooth Torquer

posted on 28/11/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
iTunes

I would use iTunes to convert wma to mp3, this will work fine so long as 'copy protection' was turned off in Windows Media Player when you imported the songs.

If it was turned on I think it may be impossible to convert them. But atleast you can import them all again with iTunes as mp3s

Get iTunes

Hope it helps

Sam

alister667

posted on 28/11/04 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Going from CD->WMA->MP3 will generally result in lower quality compared to CD -> MP3, as the extra stage will involve re-encoding. You can try a few songs and see if the quality is still acceptable.
Also pay attention what settings you use for MP3 encoding, I like using variable bit rate, it tends to give good quality while still retaining smallish files.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 28/11/04 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

you will find that mst kit now is multy codec so befor you cosider converting/ reripping all the cds check for suport on the kit you buy.

having said that I am not that keen on wma my self I prefre Ogg vorbis as a losy format if you have a half resnoble sterio it is maby worth considering a loss less format i.e. Flacc or others as you will be abol to tell the difrence. fo a good ogg encoding taging program try "Audio graber" or if you have mony to spend lots of pepol seam to like j river meader center.

also if you are looking at the creative wirles meder player thing with the LCD remot read a number of veries befor you comit as ther is conflicting reviwes on them

Hellfire

posted on 29/11/04 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Must agree with ceebmoj, using ogg files are very good (I've heard BBC use them) - I use those on my Mobile Minidisc player (also one in the car). SonicStage is a Sony endorsed program and is very good. You need a 1Mhz+ PC if your using Sonic tho'... it's very CPU intensive.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.