Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Screen Size
Avoneer

posted on 13/2/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Screen Size

Hi,
Just formatted my sisters comp and updated it with Win 2k pro.
Anyone know why my screen size will only go to 800 x 600??? (when you right click on the desktop and go to properties etc.)
Cheers,
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 13/2/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Wrong video driver or the scan rate is to high for the monitor -- 2K and NT don't have as good hardware detection as 98se/Me/Xp

Also not sure about 2k but with NT4 the latest service pack had to be installed for high resolution screen settings to work.

[Edited on 13/2/05 by britishtrident]

Avoneer

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea what to do then. My comp is Win2k Pro SP4 and is fine on the same monitor?
Cheers,
Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Chances are that it's the Gfx drivers. what Gfx card is in there?

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Avoneer

posted on 13/2/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
No idea.
But it went higher on her monitor at home - possibly just missing some kind of driver?
Cheers,
Pat...

flak monkey

posted on 13/2/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Defo the graphics card driver, windows 2k built in drivers support upto 800x600 in 16bit colour. (I never had any trouble running in 1600x1200 in win 2k with the proper drivers though). If you upgraded from win9x then its possible the driver wont be compatable with win2k. Just go to your graphics card manufacturers website and download the 2k drivers.

David

[Edited on 13/2/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 13/2/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Use this to look what card you have.

lavalys It lists your hardware and is handy if you use stuff like I do to build computers, unknown origins and all that. Handy for finding drivers and stuff for bits you acquire from fairs and carboots.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 14/2/05 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Pat

You need a superior graphics card to get a higher resolution.

Check on the motherboards graphics card connections - most are now AGP 8X, some of the older MB may be different.

Avoneer

posted on 14/2/05 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not my comp so not changing owt. Worked fine on her monitor before I cleaned ssytem. Got screen sorted now - needed some SiS 600 drivers. Just got question marks on the PCI stuff now and ethernet adaptor.
Cheers,
Pat...

britishtrident

posted on 14/2/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
If the graphics is onboard SIS and the lan card is on board it is likely to be SIS as well.
Avoneer

posted on 14/2/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Right,
Downloaded loads of SiS drivers, got the screen size a bit smaller, but colours still basic and PCI device and PCI parallel port still got a question mark in device manager.
I really don't know what to do or where to look etc...
Pat...

flak monkey

posted on 14/2/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
If its an old 14" monitor it may only display upto 1024x768. Most 17" monitors go upto 1280x1024 on a GOOD graphics card. You should however be able to run in 32 bit colour with the right drivers. Try running that software Pete posted. Sounds like it will list the exact hardware in the computer.

What does it say the PCI device is? If it says 'simple communications controller' then thats the modem. And the drivers for those are notorious...

Dont know about the PCI parallel adapter, could be anything. The last ditch attempt is to remove the case and find out what the bits are. (Usually on a sticker on the component).

The moral of the story is...before reformatting make sure you have all the drivers/discs for your pc... of course if you have the discs with the old drivers on you can just use them to determine what the hardware is, then just dl the new ones....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Avoneer

posted on 14/2/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
PCI device says "device is not configured properly, please re-install driver" but I don't know what the device is.
Don't know exactly what I am looking for in "everest" to help me.
I had this computer working fine on my new TFT monitor a while back so know it is just a driver problem.
Pat...

Peteff

posted on 14/2/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked in Control panel /system/hardware/device manager to see what has a yellow "!". If it needs drivers it should be showing in there. Look in everest under computer summary or devices to see what it is and see if it gives a site for the drivers.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.