Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windows bye bye going single boot Linux
britishtrident

posted on 20/5/04 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Windows bye bye going single boot Linux

The week past I have spent my time clearing virues out other peoples computers-- invariably running either XP and/or running Kazza, one computer had 13,000 infected files due to the kaza and other worms.
My machine at home was dual boot NT4 & Linux and has been relatively safe and well protected but an AVG sweep turned up one file infected with good old Nestsky-B, easy to terminate and cleared out with a couple of clicks but the final straw So I have taken the plunge and went single boot Mandrake 9.1.

So far everthing works I don't miss NT4, but it will take tinkering to get Spamassasin mail filtering to work as well as K9 did it on the NT box and I will miss some of the handy network tools I accumulated.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/04 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have dual-boot, but Windoze has been set up so this doesn't have any knowledge of the outside world - no modem set up, no browser or mail tools, and Zone Alarm blocking every program from dialling out anyway.

I use Linux for everything to do with internet access.

I still get viruses arriving, but now they're meaningless and I just delete their e-mail 'carrier'.

David

Noodle

posted on 20/5/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I use Mandrake 9.2 on a laptop and on my security camera server and surf on them with Mozilla 1.6. Couldn't get it to talk to my Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem though so they all conect to the 'net via a Win2000 machine with ZoneAlarm.

'spose a hardware ADSL/Firewall/Router/Switch thing will do the job.

I think 9.1 came with Mozilla 1.4, but the upgrade's free. The only issue I've had so far is being able to get Real Player working on Linux so I can listen to Radio 4 on my laptop. I know, I know, I need to get out more, but I think it's solved now.

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/04 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth getting Mandrake 10 (plus update disk!) as it's less buggy than 9.2.

Cheapest place is Budget Linux CDs, at 2$ per disk - a friend's bought a lot of stuff from this place without any problems. I know it's priced in USD, but it's in France or somewhere - they only charge for the cost of the media itself.

David

Noodle

posted on 20/5/04 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
David,

I thought ISO's could be downloaded freely for Mandrake 10 or has that changed?

Cheers,

Neil.

p.s. Anyone tried Fedora?

[Edited on 20/5/04 by Noodle]

Your sort make me sick

David Jenkins

posted on 20/5/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - if you want to download 1Gbytes or so!

David

britishtrident

posted on 20/5/04 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I tried Mandrake 9.2 I also found it buggy so I was reluctant to try Mandrake 10. I found Suse 9 buggy too I got it to work but never quite got rid of all the error mesages, itvery much depends on the motherboard, sound and video cards. One of the other PCs in the house with a cheap Elite K7SOM all onbaord Duron motherboard will run just about any Linux distro without any niggles.

For browser I upagrded to Mozilla 1.7 and also Firebird 0.7 --- but for various reasons I can't get the latest version Firefox 0.8 to install.

The worst thing I find with Mandrake Linux is the RPM system -- its better than using the make command but not much. I have Debian Woody installed on another machine from a Knoppix CD and find the Debian system for installing software much better, but for some reason Knoppix won't do an HD install on this particular PC although it runs Knoppix nicely fro the CD.

There is an easy install tool availble now for the Speedtouch but to be honest the Speedtouch aint't worth the agro it causes, After going broadband I went over very quickly to a cheap Conexant Router much superior under Windows and instant connection under Linux.

[Edited on 20/5/04 by britishtrident]

N*E*R*D

posted on 20/5/04 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I Quite like Redhat 9
but just an opinion !
i use a ADSLmodem/Firewall/Router/WiFi point
from netgear and a IDS on my local Network

[Edited on 20/5/04 by N*E*R*D]

"Good Bad I'm the guy with the gun"

britishtrident

posted on 20/5/04 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Never took to Rehats version of Gnome --- not keen on Gnome anyway preffer the more solid look & feel of KDE.
Router-Firewall is the way to go for anybody going broadband, not brave enough to go Wfi to many security problems in anycase my house is pretty well wired up cat 5 in all the rooms that might need it..

Noodle

posted on 20/5/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Never took to Rehats version of Gnome --- not keen on Gnome anyway preffer the more solid look & feel of KDE.
Router-Firewall is the way to go for anybody going broadband, not brave enough to go Wfi to many security problems in anycase my house is pretty well wired up cat 5 in all the rooms that might need it..

Cat 5 my house too as a bundle of wire appeared on my doorstep one day in payment for a favour

I feel hurt though. I like Gnome

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Peteff

posted on 20/5/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not a problem but

We've got 2 computers running 2000 pro and connect through a speedtouch usb modem and internet connection sharing so we have to have one on to connect the other. I would like a router with built in firewall but which one is easiest to set up?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 21/5/04 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I feel hurt though. I like Gnome

Cheers,

Neil.

I ain't got no gnome to go to

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.