Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt map & zetec hesitating
RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Megajolt map & zetec hesitating

OK gang I need some help from the megajolt map experts, never had a problem with the megajolt on the pinto it just worked! However with the zetec if I floor the throttle its not too bad upto 3k then starts to coughs, judder and hesitates quite severely but if I slowley raise the revs it seems a lot better and will gradually get up to 5.5k

My map is available here Linky to map

So far I've rejetted from 1.55 to 1.75, tried the original plugs, tried the original coil pack with old ht leads, removed the air box and left the Honda cb600 hornet bike carbs open.

Is there a knobheads guide to mapping anywhere, I've looked around the auto sports website for such a thing but to no avail, like how do you work out the load bins, I'm presuming its just equal up to 100 as I'm using tps

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenTyreman

posted on 5/2/11 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like your spark map is upside down. You should have more advance at low throttle openings. Also, the zetec will need less advance than the pinto does. Maximum advance in the region 24 - 28 degrees at WOT. In any case, if there is no issues with the spark quality, then it sounds more like a fuelling issue.

[Edited on 5/2/11 by BenTyreman]

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Meant to unplug it tonight and see what it was like in limp home mode, but forgot and my lad has now emptied the inside of a peugeot 106 onto my drive trying to fit a bass box!

Will try tomorrow, interesting comment about my map being upside down, although was the same when trying a simple 2d map, I understood that the zetec max advance was 32??

Cheers

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenTyreman

posted on 5/2/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Can't comment on the exact values for a Zetec, but I have a copy of the original spark map from an XE. Maximum advance at WOT is 20 degrees.

r1_pete

posted on 5/2/11 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
U2U me your email address and I'll send you the basic zetec map I had with bike carbs on a blacktop.

You'll need to alter the load bin settings, but as said, the advance should decrease as load increases, you've got it increasing.

mookaloid

posted on 5/2/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
the advance should decrease as load increases, you've got it increasing.

In all fairness to Richard, ahem, errrrrrrrrrr I did that

we were trying to get it to run better and I wasn't thinking well - it was my first time with messing about with ignition curves in my defence. thinking about it - it is obvious when you consider how a normal dizzy with a vacuum advance works

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
the advance should decrease as load increases, you've got it increasing.

In all fairness to Richard, ahem, errrrrrrrrrr I did that

we were trying to get it to run better and I wasn't thinking well - it was my first time with messing about with ignition curves in my defence. thinking about it - it is obvious when you consider how a normal dizzy with a vacuum advance works

Think it was more of a team effort that failed tbh

Load bins? how do I find out what mine should be then?

BenTyreman

posted on 5/2/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Load bins? how do I find out what mine should be then?

I have found on my throttle body setup that most of the action happens in the first 30% or so. By 30% at 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM the engine is running at maximum load, so the advance is static from 30% to 100%. Above 4000 RPM you spend virtually no time at anywhere other than full throttle or zero throttle.

Unless you get it dynoed, there are many more load and RPM bins than you will need.

I would use your existing spark map, but run the load bins the other way up. It will be close enough without taking it to a dyno to get it fully dialled in.

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
What like this? Software wouldn't allow me to do it, so did it in notepad instead.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 5/2/11 by RichardK]

SPYDER

posted on 5/2/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich.
I've just knocked this up using my 3SGE table as a base. My engine runs "speed density" so I have changed the load values to suit alpha N.
I have put max advance at WOT to 31.
Ignore all the zero value bins. My map is 12 x 12.
You need the advance at WOT to be "all in" by around 2800 revs.
Cruising conditions ie. low load, should be 8 or 10 degrees higher than WOT.
The large area of 34, 35, 36 should be able to go a little higher. I have played safe.
My engine runs 44 in the cruise area and 34 at WOT.
It should be suitable as a starting point. I'm not guaranteeing it though.
What do you think?

Geoff

[img]http://[/img]

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Geof thats very kind of you , thanks mate, I've stuck those into a new map and will give them a whirl tomorrow, so you disagree that the zetec's max advance is 32?

Cheers

Rich

SPYDER

posted on 5/2/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi rich.
I was just playing safe.
Is it seems OK let us know.

Geoff

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh will do, will also host it for others if it works.

Cheers

Rich

Just switched the bins around as the software didn't like it the other way around, shouldnt make any difference though, should it?

The above megajolt map can be downloaded from HERE

[Edited on 5/2/11 by RichardK]

SPYDER

posted on 5/2/11 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Rich, is it permitted to change the rev bins across the top line?

Geoff

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
yes mate

SPYDER

posted on 5/2/11 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Rich, does MJ have a specified advance setting for cranking or does it use the table all the time.
If so, what is your setting?
If the table seems OK we could change the top line to include a 2800 bin and tweak the cruising values a bit.
But lets not get ahead of ourselves eh?

Geoff.

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Is this what you mean?

and

Haven't a scooby doo what they dooooo!

Cheers

Rich

SPYDER

posted on 5/2/11 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
The settings would suggest that your cranking advance is zero degrees.
Could you possibly put a timing light on it during cranking to confirm this?
If it is zero it might benefit from putting up to 10 degrees or thereabouts.

Ge

RichardK

posted on 5/2/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure as there are no timing marks on a zetec? I think!!

David Jenkins

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
One thing - there is a well-known "issue" with Megajolt - the VR sensor has to be mounted on a very rigid mount. Getting ignition problems around 3000 - 4000 rpm is a recognised symptom of this problem, as the sensor vibrating can mess up the signal to the MJ controller. Beefing up the mount often makes this problem go away.

I called it an "issue", as really it's a problem with people fitting VR sensors where they were never intended to go!

RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Worth mentioning for others but doubt its my problem as I'm using the back of the flywheel using the pre installed ford sensor, but worth thinking about as this sensor wasn't on my old flawless install, so the sensor could be iffy.

Cheers

Rich

RichardK

posted on 6/2/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Ok just been out and put that map on and also tried another map that R1 Pete sent over but sadly its still the same

I also datalogged the session if anybody under stands it, Here is the datalog

Also disconnected the mega jolt and is exactly the same in limp home mode, not sure if this is good or bad!

Connected the megajolt back up and started up the engine and changed some low end settings and the rev dropped and rose as I made changes so that would indicate that the MJ is actually changing the timing.

Thinking about getting another cam shaft sensor???

What does the collective think??

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 6/2/11 by RichardK]

mookaloid

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
time for a trip to bogg brothers?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Given that you originally said it was when you " floored the throttle" can we perhaps also assume that that it may be fuel related. Perhaps not enough enrichment for not long enough resulting in fuel starvation?? I don't know owt about bike carbs mind you but perhaps not enough vacuum signal to keep the fuel flowing at a higher rate for a long enough time. There was an issue with weber carbs when fitted to 16v motors that needed a rework of IIRC extra progression holes from memory. So bearing this in mind perhaps the same sort of scenario is happening here.
Given it rises OK with a steady less vigorous throttle use then maybe the spark is not the issue.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Worth mentioning for others but doubt its my problem as I'm using the back of the flywheel using the pre installed ford sensor, but worth thinking about as this sensor wasn't on my old flawless install, so the sensor could be iffy.

Cheers

Rich

Ah - that'll be quite rigid then!

Are you on bike carbs? When I first fitted mine the main jets were too big, and the engine felt strangled at anything above 3500 - 4000. The plugs were badly fouled as well, all wet and black. After fitting smaller jets (and testing with an AFR meter afterwards) the engine would rev right through the range.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.