Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade won't charge battery with lights on
Alez

posted on 20/10/03 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade won't charge battery with lights on

Hi guys,

I've just found that my car has exactly the same problem as some of you have been reporting recently: It will charge the battery with no lights or sidelights but not with dipped headlights or full-beam headlights. My car is a road legal (SVA, so good lights) Locost Fireblade.

I would like to know wether this is just, say, a "feature" of road legal Fireblades, i.e., the standard Fireblade electrics simply can't provide the required higher power or it is that something needs to be fixed in our particular cars. If it is the former, I could probably try to design some electronics that may help.

Cheers,

Alex

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/03 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Alex, think u will prob find its more likely to be the battery, its the original thats on so it will be ready probably, there not expensive.

Alez

posted on 20/10/03 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm.. I'm not sure that a battery in not very good condition would cause the engine to fail charging it.. or try to charge it, that is, put current into it. It is certainly possible that a good battery could power the lights for a good while so you wouldn't notice it is actually not charging..

Anyway, thanks for the info Jon.

Cheers,

Alex

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
n/p, i have seen this b4 though, i'm no electrician but if the battery is on its way out then the BEC engine seems to struggle to charge and run lights, i would check the battery 1st, the voltage reg on there is one of the better ones and fairly new so i would,nt suspect that, i think you will find unlike a normal car if you dissconect the battery once running it will struggle to produce enough power to run the engine and the lights at the same time, when running "lights on" you need a battery in 1st class condition to avoid voltage drop.

I'm sure some one on here who knows a lot more about the subject will either correct me or explain it better.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/10/03 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The blade electrics shouldnt have any problems powering a BEC's electrical requirements, on the bike it has two 60w main beams just as you do in the car, and there is very little extra in a BECs wiring that isnt there on the bike, a fog light and twin brake / rear sidelights are about the only thing I can think of, so a max of about 60w extra draw even if driving along with the brakes on all the time and the fog light on too

Id have a look at the rectifier, battery and possibly alternator (I have a spare if required), the Haynes manual should tell you how to test all these.

Jasper

posted on 20/10/03 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you do need a new battery then there's a good battery supplier I got mine from on the Yahoo BEC list - let me know if you need his details and I'll dig them out, they're about £35 rather than the £50+ from the bike dealers.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/10/03 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper, I assume you're talking about Mike at MDS Battery, and I agree, very cheap and good service.

Chris

[Edited on 20/10/03 by ChrisGamlin]

Alez

posted on 21/10/03 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi guys,

Good stuff, thanks a lot for the info.

Jon, do you have the ref for the regulator, anyway? I'd like to do a quick web search and take the opportunity to learn about it.

Chris, sorry to ask but, what is the Haynes manual? If it's some kind of bible I should have, maybe it's time to order it.

Cheers,

Alex

Jasper

posted on 21/10/03 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yup - Thats the chap Chris.

BTW - had a blinding track day at Bassingbourn on Saturday, great weather, car went like a dream all day, and I've now got my dad into it as well so we can split a few track days between us.

Finally had somebody with lots of 'Seven' experience (one of the instructors) in it who reconned the set-up was spot on and the car handled really well - so I'm a happy chap.

Thinking of doing Goodwood in November with Motorsport Events - weather permitting - interested? Not gonna book it till very near the time incase the weather is sh*t.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez

Chris, sorry to ask but, what is the Haynes manual? If it's some kind of bible I should have, maybe it's time to order it.

Haynes manual is the cheap alternative to a proper manufacturer supplied workshop manual. They arent generally as detailed as a proper workshop manual but only cost about £15 and are usually pretty good for wiring diagrams and diagnostics etc. You can get them from Hlafords amongst other places (in the bike section)

Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper, my engine is still in bits at the mo and I havent got any trackdays planned until after Xmas now, as I want to save a bit of cash and do a few upgrades etc. If its the same event that I am thinking of tho (a Saturday 105db day that Easytrack are also promoting) then I will probably pop down anyway and have a look round as there are a couple of other people going I know

Alez

posted on 21/10/03 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris, no doubt I'll buy a Haynes manual then.

Cheers,

Alex

Jasper

posted on 21/10/03 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
If its the same event that I am thinking of tho (a Saturday 105db day that Easytrack are also promoting) then I will probably pop down anyway and have a look round as there are a couple of other people going I know

Is on November 21st, a Friday, and I think it's just their event. The Easytrack one is the next day. The Motorsport one has a 98Db limit, and is £149. The Easytrack is £179 with a 104 Db limit. I think I'll take my car down there for an accurate noise test this week.

[Edited on 21/10/03 by Jasper]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/10/03 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be lucky to get on at Goodwood on a 98dB day!

Alez

posted on 22/10/03 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good!

I'm using a bike battery, didn't know others were using car batteries (I don't quite understand why you would want to use one anyway).

I'm very very new to this all, got my car 2nd hand very recently (just a couple of weeks ago really) but would like to learn as much as possible now.

I'll be buying the Haynes manual for the Blade this weekend to look for hints on the battery charging issue. Actually, I need to learn how car electrics work at all first, but I'll surely get back to you with any progress.

BTW, is this a problem you are experiencing lately or it has always been there and you probably didn't realize because the battery was new and healthy enough to withstand quite some lights-on time?

I now copy this U2U text and put it in the relevant discussion I started a couple of days ago, as it may be of interest to others.

Cheers,

Alex

quote:
hi.

I posted a similar problem - are you using a car battery or a bike battery?

Get in touch to see if we can both sort our problems ?

matthew@farend.co.uk / www.farend.co.uk

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/10/03 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Most people I know are using a bike battery without any problems.

MK Goldrush

posted on 22/10/03 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Most people I know are using a small car battery without any problems.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/10/03 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well if you dont get any problems with a bike battery, you aint gonna get any problems with a car battery now are ya! The only problem with a car battery might be huge understeer caused by all that extra weight

Alez

posted on 22/10/03 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
We need a front engine, rear battery design now!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/10/03 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
LOL, just in case anyone didnt realise, that was said purely tongue in cheek

Having said that tho, a bike battery is a cheap way of saving weight, a car battery can weigh up near 10kgs or so, yet the bike battery I have is about 2kgs and works fine.

Peteff

posted on 22/10/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
My mate has a Moto Guzzi and the battery on that is as big as a car battery but costs twice as much.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/10/03 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Im not entirely sure of the relevence there Pete, but thanks anyway

My Yuasa 9Ah battery from MDS cost about £22 inc vat, so you wont get a car battery much cheaper. If you speak to Mike Field at MDS (who's an RGB Racer when he's not flogging batteries), and mention the Yahoo BEC list, he'll usually be able to do you a deal thats cheaper than advertised on their website.

Chris

Alez

posted on 22/10/03 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Aaah, good memories this brings! I used to have a BIG Moto Guzzi, 2 x 500cc, a tour bike which I stripped to make it look more like a classic street bike. Pushing it was actually more difficult than pushing a Locost, I remember that well. Still, when it was working, it was a real pleasure to drive, so harsh and rebellious and quite dangerous as well. A couple of pics of the one I had here:
http://212.73.32.211/hosting/0001c/alez/m1.jpg
http://212.73.32.211/hosting/0001c/alez/m2.jpg
Oh and yes, the battery was huge, not to mention the starting motor etc.

Cheers,

Alex

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/10/03 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Which car did you get in the end then Alez, Ive just twigged that you are talking about owning a car

JoelP

posted on 22/10/03 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
he he!!! it said in the first post that he had a locost blade! mr Isons i believe?! lol
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.