Board logo

2.0ltr pinto and mt75
Nick - 26/12/18 at 08:55 PM

I have the opportunity to get a 2.0ltr pinto and mt75 gearbox from a transit. I know the engine will fit in just a bit concerned about the position of the gear lever on the gearbox.
Any one used one and know if it would be useable

Nick

jps - 26/12/18 at 10:45 PM

I'm sure I have read on here that Transit enginea were low compression and gearbox ratios are lower than car 'boxes so worth doing some research. Wiki has a decent amount on the pinto

big_wasa - 27/12/18 at 07:53 AM

I think the gear stick is in the middle of the box on an early trani'. That would be another challenge to over come.

An mx5 may be a better budget donor.

There are still plenty of t9 boxes about if you want to keep it ford but you would have to step up a bit more on the price.

Nick - 27/12/18 at 08:40 AM

Well I've probably done the dumb thing and bought it.
Not bothered about low comp as engine will be stripped and rebuilt with head being scimmed. But gearbox may be the thing. If it's not any good I will just flog it on and get a t9.

jps - 27/12/18 at 04:33 PM

I think the low compression engines have different pistons too which I guess you'd need to swap out, and a rebore at the same time I guess.

coozer - 28/12/18 at 12:41 AM

My mate is selling a 2.0 pinto and type 9 out of a locost, check FB

mcerd1 - 28/12/18 at 08:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
I think the low compression engines have different pistons too which I guess you'd need to swap out, and a rebore at the same time I guess.

^^ what he said - its the pistons that need changed and the camshaft too I think

both would likely be changed in any decent rebuild anyway

[Edited on 28/12/2018 by mcerd1]