Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I burnt my neck welding - oblig pic
FuryRebuild

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I burnt my neck welding - oblig pic

So, this is what it looks like when you give yourself a partial depth third-degree burn to the neck, whilst welding.

This has been two weeks of healing, using a special one-way membrane dressing to aid healing. For the first week Harrogate hospital weren’t sure if it would heal and if I needed to go to wakefield for skin grafts.

As it stands, it’s going to fully heal and will be red for a while. There was a chance I’d then need a graft for cosmetic reasons, but right now I don’t think I will.

Description
Description

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

steve m

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
We have all done it, ! but that does look angry, and the scab is coming off

worst ive had is forearms , and weld going down my ears when welding upside down

FuryRebuild

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
The red is actually the healed skin after 2.5 weeks of healing. The scab is lifting naturally.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

FuryRebuild

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The red is actually the healed skin after 2.5 weeks of healing. The scab is lifting naturally.

And welding your lugs sounds awful.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Minicooper

posted on 15/8/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
You'll end up with a white scar, I've got about 15 of them, they do fade but thirty years later I can quite clearly see my first welding scar

David

MikeR

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
How the heck did you do that?

I've had a few 'ouch' moments and learnt to accept when i got splatter down my boots (i know - jeans should stop that but sometimes when crouched it didn't). I've never had anything that severe.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/12 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
did give myself major sunburn on my arms again a few weeks ago welding the landy, stupid really

always wear a long sleeve top...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 15/8/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I was welding up the spider I made (see this link). I had the bung and tube in the vice pointing vertically so the bung rested on the tube and gravity held it there.

I welded it, and all was wonderful. I turned it over in the vice to weld the other end, and set everything up, then I dropped the filler rod on the floor.

I bent down to pick it up, and fssssss, brushed my neck on the just-not-quite red hot recently welded end.

I felt very little pain, thanks to it being a 3rd degree burn.

ta-daaaa.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/8/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Makes my little oops, pale into insignifivance.
I only had a blob of molten metal drop down behind my watch, which held it against my wrist.
Small circular burn but the language was choice.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

vanepico

posted on 15/8/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an old set of Futaba overalls my grandad gave me, and the mask covers most of my face, then some nice thick gloves

I was amazed how hot metal can get when it is welded. When I welded up my clutch pedal (still the only part I've made so far ) It was still insanely hot after a couple of minutes, I spat onto it and it sizzled like crazy! It is very strange holding it in welding gloves you feel none of the heat but if you make the mistake of picking it up without them!

Pete

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

owelly

posted on 15/8/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I used to wear a metal-strapped wrist watch. I still have a watch-shaped scar from when the watch strap touched the solenoid contacts on my Minivan. I don't wear watches anymore.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 15/8/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I met a guy with a missing ring finger where he'd shorted it on a high current circuit

That will leave a permanent scar, but it will fade with time.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

rusty nuts

posted on 15/8/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I used to wear a metal-strapped wrist watch. I still have a watch-shaped scar from when the watch strap touched the solenoid contacts on my Minivan. I don't wear watches anymore.

I remember my old foreman when I was an apprentice doing the same thing, nothing smells like burnt flesh. I've never worn a watch for work since

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 15/8/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch, but, good manly scar.
just think how you will be able to impress the grandkids with tales of wrestling crocodiles etc.

pewe

posted on 15/8/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a small but deep scar on my forearm where a blob of red hot, molten weld burnt its way through my overalls and into my flesh when lying on my back welding. Couldn't remove it fast enough as I was a) tight underneath the car and b) welding at arm's length.
Be aware your local welding supplies shop sell forearm length, split leather gauntlets for not much wonga.
Guess what I now wear when welding upwards?
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.