Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weber dgms 38 carb issues.
Cluelesstom

posted on 19/5/18 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Weber dgms 38 carb issues.

Hello guys, I’ve just bought a kit car and can’t get it going.. firstly I’ve set the timing roughly, stripped the carb, set the plugs, fresh petrol,
It’s a 2.0 pinto, the engine just does t seem to be pulling any fuel through to the cylinder, although when I give it some from a syringe it tries to fire,
New to this engine so bare with me.

Also I’ve set the timing by getting cylinder one to tdc, then made sure the rotor was pointing a number 1, and held my thumb over the plug to make sure it was the compression stroke. is this the correct way?

Thanks.
[img]http://https://postimg.cc/image/swe7q63d7/[/img]

[Edited on 19/5/18 by Cluelesstom]

RedAvon

posted on 20/5/18 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, check the fuel pump is pulling through fuel, maybe an airlock or electric connection. Pipe off carb into glass jar and turn engine over. Timing accurately was an issue with mine and I had some duff (new) spark plugs that didn't help.

Also, was it running before - anything changed since? Or how long ago. My webbers were gummed up with old fuel and took quite a bit of carb cleaner in trumpets to clean it out.

Worth checking electrical connections all around ignition related components.

Just a couple of ideas to try.

Cheers

Bricoleur

Cluelesstom

posted on 20/5/18 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
hello, I have just gone out a bought 8 new plugs and I have put the pipe off the carb and turned it over and it pumps out fuel, the carb is brand new no dirt or oxidation at all, I did notice that the pistons are covered with ALOT of carbon crud, as the gent who had it before only ran it a few times after having a new head, valves, can and carb, I believe he has ran it very very rich with no proper set up and it’s just absolutely caked, I’m contemplating taking the head off and setting the dizzy to the correct postion, with the crank case, with the dizzy it wouldn’t matter if the actual body is off center? As the rotor arm still points at the correct cylinder.

Thanks for your reply

RedAvon

posted on 21/5/18 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

If it was me, as it had been running previously, I would try and get it started even if it runs rough before stripping the engine.

You can sort out the coking and fine tuning later.

It must be carb setup, running rich as you suggest and/or timing. I set my timing with a strobe just following the Sierra manual, it has twin 45s. Before setting the timing it wouldn't start at all and like yours was running when I bought it. Mine isn't on the road yet and runs lumpy/rich but it's good enough to start it up every few months.

If you can get it running you can then book it in with someone who knows about tuning Webers to get the best setup.

Also try this. http://www.s262612653.websitehome.co.uk/DVAndrews/webers.htm

HTH

Ian

[Edited on 21/5/18 by RedAvon]

Bricoleur

Cluelesstom

posted on 22/5/18 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hello there! I’ve sorted the issue it was water in the fuel tank, Bit embarrassed I didn’t find it sooner to be honest, really appreciate the response, im onto the fast road cam now and setting that up as it’s new to me.

Thanks again.

RedAvon

posted on 22/5/18 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
That's great, glad it was an easy fix in the end. Fault finding is always tricky with so many variables.

All the best.

Bricoleur

Cluelesstom

posted on 23/5/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Another question if you don’t mind, I’ve got a 2.0 pinto with the 38 Weber, fast road cam, electronic dizzy, large valves and ported.
I’m currently really struggling to get it timed correctly, I’ve set the crank to tdc and it seemed the cam was out abit, so I’ve moved it to get a close to tdc as possible although it still isn’t 100% vertical but the notches won’t let me move it inline. I’ve tried many different timing degrees with a strobe and I’m still getting a very flat engine.
What is the best procedure to getting all these components to work together?
Thanks again!
Tom

RedAvon

posted on 26/5/18 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tom,

Apologies for a delayed reply I have been working away.

Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic, just an amateur builder who tries to do as much as possible myself.

If work has been done previously it might be that things were not set up right and leading you down the wrong avenues.

It sounds like there is an issue with the setup and I have even heard of the toothed belt jumping a notch.

It might be best to start another thread on the specific setup issues as there are some really knowledgeable folk on here.

I am sorry I cannot help further but will watch progress with interest for my own build.

All the best.

Ian

Bricoleur

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.