Board logo

gelcoating
RK - 27/5/09 at 06:54 PM

I have a silly question: I have had no end of trouble trying to paint my nosecone and rear arches. All I want is white enamel, and then clearcoat or wax. Could I gelcoat everything instead, and then just polish?

What is the procedure? I am loathe to spend another $1000 on a paint job, and still need to do a bonnet later on. Right now, I am going to scratch and scuff these things without just mounting them on and being done with it.

Thank you!!

twybrow - 27/5/09 at 07:11 PM

Yeah you can, but getting a good bond to whatever you're gelling is the key.... Abraid (80 grit) and solvent clean, then pait, roller of even better spray the gelcoat onto your parts. You will have a lot of filling and fairing to make it a really good even finish, but it is forgiving.

martyn_16v - 27/5/09 at 08:49 PM

Don't forget to add wax to your gelcoat (to make it flow/topcoat) so it'll cure properly, gelcoat doesn't normally fully cure in the presence of air

Hugh Paterson - 27/5/09 at 09:54 PM

Dont bother unless u use spray gel, even then the refinishing is a pain in the ass, much easier to abrade the surface with 240 grit, prime and paint with two pack or poly, trust me I do this daily.
regards
Shug.

RK - 27/5/09 at 10:23 PM

Sounds like another job for someone else to do. What the hell is another $1000 anyways?

Thanks!