Board logo

Polishing Aluminium
ChrisS - 24/2/08 at 03:40 PM

Im trying to clean up the aluminium bonnet and side panels ive made for the car, and tbh im having a nightmare. Ive wet and dry sanded with very fine to get out some small scratches, and now im trying to polish it shiny with autosol.

I just can seem to get a consistent finish. It seems to go dark after buffing off autosol, and ive tried some other stuff, and now i almost wish i hadnt started trying.

Any ideas how to get it nice.

Thanks

David Jenkins - 24/2/08 at 03:45 PM

One tip that came from this site...

Polish away until the surface is nice and shiny. Get a clean cloth, dip it into some flour (plain or self-raising!) and rub that over the top.

You'll find that all the old polish is lifted off and the surface is left nice and shiny.

Well - it works for me, anyway!

Confused but excited. - 24/2/08 at 03:53 PM

Autosol recommend their finer polish for a high degree of finish on aluminium, not the 'normal' Autosol.
I just found that out after using ordinary Autosol for forty odd years.

David Jenkins - 24/2/08 at 04:01 PM

Oh - nearly forgot - Meguiars Metal Polysh is very effective, and much easier to clean off. Quite expensive, but my little tub has lasted a couple of years and nowhere near empty yet. Odd smell though!

You can get it in Halfords.

[Edited on 24/2/08 by David Jenkins]

r1_pete - 24/2/08 at 04:05 PM

On the polished cases on my 72 suzuki, I use some stuff called belgom alu, not only polishes but leaves a protective residue behind.

Rgds.
Pete.

r1_pete - 24/2/08 at 04:08 PM

here you go, a pic of the results.... Rescued attachment DSCN0573small.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN0573small.jpg

eccsmk - 24/2/08 at 04:38 PM

http://i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Metal_Polish_Sealant.html
try this stuff i was told about it on detailing world
atb

[Edited on 24/2/08 by eccsmk]

martin1973 - 24/2/08 at 04:59 PM

this works on most thing but never tried a bonnet?

using 2000 grit wet and dry with autosol,using the autosol as the lube.
works wonders on alloy caseing and rocker boxes.

otherwise i used t-cut on my alloy side panels nearly a mirror finish?

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 24/2/08 at 05:05 PM

the tip that dave gave is a good one,but the proper stuff is called hydrogenated lime a very fine powder that removes polish after polishing(does that make sense)ready for (buffing) after polishing

wayno!!

ALEXARAS - 27/2/08 at 04:24 PM

Is anyones using Brasso?
What do you think of it?

rusty nuts - 27/2/08 at 07:17 PM

After trying loads of different types of polish I now use Meguires , easier to use and gives a good shine. Tried the flour trick , works OK

johnjulie - 29/2/08 at 09:41 PM

Get some Belgom Ulu. About £7.00 from Ebay. Brilliant stuff, easy to use, flows easily, gives an excellent shine.
You'll like it!
Cheers John

Trev D - 29/2/08 at 10:35 PM

Hi, I have used alumagic hard work gives good results and leaves a protective coating on the ali and I have also used a polish called mothers which is excellent for giving instant shine not so good for taking out scratches, as the alumagic is. I have also found if you try and polish a local area it will never look an even finish so you will have to go over the whole panel.
ATB and happy polishing Trev