Board logo

Matching repair paint
johnH20 - 22/5/21 at 12:51 PM

My car was professionally painted using a stock VW colour ( KLM Blau ). This was 6 or 7 years ago. With the passage of time I have had to do a few minor touch up jobs. The problem is that the repair paint I get made up at my local spares shop is a shade or two darker than the original. I suppose it is possible the original has faded but it is garaged most of the time. I know that professional repairers can match faded paint ( I don't know how exactly ) but how to do that at the DIY aerosol level. Any ideas? TIA.

JeffHs - 22/5/21 at 03:19 PM

VRS in Derby do a match service and also do aerosols. I haven't tried it myself but my local body shop gave me their details when they repaired my wife's car.
https://vrsexpress.co.uk/

indykid - 22/5/21 at 03:42 PM

I'd try a dedicated autopaint shop. It's been a while, but the shop we used to use had a book of colour chip cards with a couple of lighter tints for each base colour to match faded paint.

perksy - 22/5/21 at 06:16 PM

As above

Dedicated paint shop will put a spectrometer on the paintwork and then match it for you

Our local place will then fill an aerosol can or mix a touch up pot

archieedavidson - 24/3/22 at 07:29 AM

I think you should go for a professional paint correction service for your car paint correction service for your car. The kind of quality & benefits you get from this will outweigh a DIY job and I strongly recommend doing it the right way.

cliftyhanger - 24/3/22 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by archieedavidson
I think you should go for a professional paint correction service for your car paint correction service for your car. The kind of quality & benefits you get from this will outweigh a DIY job and I strongly recommend doing it the right way.

For clarity, have you any connections to the company you linked to?

BenB - 24/3/22 at 02:41 PM

I'd bet my leg and my left kidney on it. 1st post, location is same as the business linked.
Not that having a conflict of interest is an issue, just supposed to be divulged.

Mr Whippy - 25/3/22 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
Originally posted by archieedavidson

For clarity, have you any connections to the company you linked to?

tbh it's kinda obvious it is with the same postcode as is in the profile and all... nothing like a bit of free advertising