Board logo

Where can I get a windscreen made?
jabs - 30/10/06 at 01:02 PM

Can anyone recommend a good firm that can make a laminated windscreen in the Harrogate area (just a usual flat screen job)

greggors84 - 30/10/06 at 03:32 PM

Try 0800 805804 cant remember the company name, but they should have a branch near you. The main place in Bristol is where they do they custom glass, but they will pick up from your local branch.

He couldnt give a quote over the phone as they need to see the pattern first. But he said they do Morgan windscreens for around £80-£90 +Vat, a 7 one should be a bit cheaper as it should be less glass.

Edit: Just googled the number and it comes up with '24hr Mobile Windscreen Repair'

[Edited on 30/10/2006 by greggors84]

theconrodkid - 30/10/06 at 03:50 PM

i got one from a fiat panda,they are flat and have a kite mark in the corner,take that to a glass co with a pattern and they should cut it for ya

John Bonnett - 30/10/06 at 05:20 PM

If you have the windscreen frame, Autoglass will cut and fit laminated glass to your frame. If you are using a Caterham frame, or a Tiger frame, they both supply electrically heated screens to suit for about £80 which in my opinion is excellent value and will give you incredible demisting/de-icing.

John

nick205 - 30/10/06 at 05:47 PM

quote:
.......will give you incredible demisting/de-icing.

John

"de-icing" take the tin-top

theconrodkid - 30/10/06 at 06:31 PM

de-icing" take the tin-top

ha,you havnt lived till youve driven through a snowstorm/hail/rain with no heater etc....its character building

jamesg20 - 30/10/06 at 06:56 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread.... but does anyone know where i can get a curved heated rear screen made as one-off?!

I'm guessing it's going to cost...

gttman - 30/10/06 at 08:00 PM

pilkington glass 01795 596100

John Bonnett - 31/10/06 at 04:39 PM

Hi jamesg20

Unless you can source a standard windscreen for a production car, I don't think you will get a curved screen heated or not. I went through this exercise some years ago and had no luck.

However, if anyone can tell me any different, I shall be delighted to hear.

John

stevebubs - 31/10/06 at 11:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jamesg20
Sorry to hijack the thread.... but does anyone know where i can get a curved heated rear screen made as one-off?!

I'm guessing it's going to cost...

The guys below will make custom heated screens - front and rear. IIRC, they have a minimum order of 10, though.

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/

MikeRJ - 1/11/06 at 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
If you have the windscreen frame, Autoglass will cut and fit laminated glass to your frame.

I spoke to my local branch a few months ago and they said they don't offer that service anymore.

scutter - 1/11/06 at 11:28 AM

I got my local household glass supplier to cut my screen, costs so far;

£35 for a tinted panda screen
£18 glass cut to template
£15 Caterham screen surround off Ebay
£3 chassis foam to mount screen into frame.
Total £71

Not bad for a one off.

jamesg20 - 1/11/06 at 01:56 PM

ok, next question.... Can i use a plastic rear screen, and does it need to be heated for SVA?

se7ensport - 2/11/06 at 01:38 PM

you can use anything you like for your rear window and it doesn't need to be headed (the same goes for side windows).

Alex

gttman - 2/11/06 at 03:34 PM

any side or rear glass needs to be safety glass and E marked... only the windscreen should be laminated.

You can use perspex for anything other than the windscreen which would be by far the cheapest option and is what I intend to do on my car unless I can find a glass thats very close.

Pilkington can do you a custom curved E marked windscreen or rear window... but it will be VERY expensive.

jamesg20 - 2/11/06 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gttman

You can use perspex for anything other than the windscreen which would be by far the cheapest option and is what I intend to do on my car unless I can find a glass thats very close.

Oh thank Fooock for that, i thought my new project was about to be shafted before i started. I'm getting a copy of the sva manual pronto to kerb such scares! Anyone know on online version? Rather spend the money on the car....

gttman - 2/11/06 at 08:36 PM

email me and I may be able to sort you out a draft PDF.