Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Spoiler
Kitlooney1000

posted on 7/4/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Front Spoiler

After driving the car to the chassis inspection last week, noticed that the front was light at speed, just wondered if anyone had any ideas for an fter SVA spoiler that would pin the front down a bit at speed, just an idea
Dave Ashurst

posted on 7/4/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Kitlooney
Depends what sort of speed you mean (!) but it's much more likely to be due to the steering geometry IMO.
Personally I'd start with a check on the tracking and bump steer and sort them out. (If not too far out the latter can be minimised a bit by finding the optimal front ride height.)

Your car isn't that different to mine and that's what mine was like. No probs since the steering/suspension was set up - a DIY day's work max. I'll tell you all about it offline if you want.

regards
Dave

stressy

posted on 8/4/04 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Dave.

Check chassis set up and get some good testing before doing anything crazy. Try and set the front suspension so that the lower arm mounts at the chassis end are at the same level above ground as the centres of the outer end ball joint. DONT set the lower arm parrallel to the ground. It should effectively run downwards to the wheels. set the rear ride height so all four training arms and the panhard rod are parrallel to the ground. I found a large increase in front end grip by adding more rake to the chassis, i.e. front ride height lower than the rear, this stops air pressure build up under the car. Check also that you have your tyre pressures right. I ran mine hard for SVA to give good self centering then knocked them back 10 psi for normal usage, seems ok.
On the topic of the spoiler....Caterham's Sv-R has an optional front spoiler to deal with what the measured as about 100lb of lift at the front axle line at 100mph, however from memory i believe they ended up abondoning for the time being as it created an aerodynamic centre of pressure so far forward that it unloaded the rear wheels and turned in to a wild oversyteering monster. Still in development i believe.......

locost_bryan

posted on 15/4/04 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Stressy,

If I understand you right, we should keep the front lower pivot points parallel to the ground, which means the wishbone itself slopes down to the wheel (by the length of the balljoint pin)?

And if we set up the rear links parallel to the ground, raking the chassis forward would require lowering the front slightly (i.e. raising the inner pivot point slightly to maintain the above geometry)?

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

stressy

posted on 15/4/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with your comment, the best compromise is to try and keep the front lower wishbone looking like its pointing down abit to the wheel and the upper so it pointing up to the wheel.

setting the rear arms parrallel means equal bump steer in left and right turns at the rear. As nuetral as the design will permit.

This gives fairly onsistent handling if nothing else.

Kitlooney1000

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
have looked to see if the car is sloping towards the front, it isnt, there is about 5 mm difference between the front and the back, the back is lower. will that make a difference. the wishbones look fine, bottom pointing down the tops are level.
stressy

posted on 17/4/04 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
alright kitlooney

If as you decribed was my car i would drop the front ride height by say 10mm or a bit more if possible. Keep the lower arms sloping down or level and the upper will start to point up a little, thats fine.

All sevens suffer from front end lift at speed but if the nose starts higher than the tail to begin with then you are effectivly using the air at speed as a wedge to lift the front wheels off the ground, i.e. the steering gets ligher the faster you go.

Turning the wedge the other way around (i.e back higher) creates a better, reduced lift, option.

Happy testing, let me know if it improves

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.