Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Orbital sander for bodywork
number-1

posted on 7/6/22 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Orbital sander for bodywork

I need to repair a motorcycle top fairing after a little spill on a trackday. Can anyone recommend a mains powered orbital sander that can handle curves in the bodywork?

Its ABS plastic so I plan to V groove the crack back and front, fill with JB weld, sand back and use body filler then resand and paint

Cheers

N1

roadrunner

posted on 7/6/22 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would be tempted to use a sanding pad with different grit papers and of course some elbow grease
roadrunner

posted on 7/6/22 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this.
Can't imagine it being a big job.

eBay Item
Item No 174402363705

[Edited on 7/6/22 by roadrunner]

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/6/22 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a 5" metabo DA sander. It works well, velco discs are cheap enough too.
But curved surfaces are always difficult, very easy to end up with flat spots. And any sander will be flat. So hand sanding may be the best solution?

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/6/22 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hand sanding with a wooden block. Just as fast and a lot more controllable. Start with 80 grit wet&dry, then 120, 400, 600 prime, 1200, paint, 1500, rubbing compound, leave a month & polish.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 8/6/22 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
As stated above, you have to be careful with power tools on curves.

It's not a big part, just do it by hand.

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

r1_pete

posted on 8/6/22 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I do a lot of bike fairing repair and re painting..

Hate to say, a V and JB weld won't last 2 minutes, your best by far is to find someone who does plastic welding to re structure it for you.

As for sanding, by hand is best, if you do use power tools, they need to run slowly, fast sanding abs will cause localised melting, even then, with an orbital it is still very easy to leave rings which can be seen through the finish despite filling and primer filler.

There are some very good car bumper fillers on the market now, they retain some flexibility, and bond better to the plastic, than regular fillers.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.