Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OK, what did I do wrong with this paint?
coyoteboy

posted on 27/6/23 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
OK, what did I do wrong with this paint?

Tin-top wing repainted. I flatted down the old paint, fillered a couple of minor holes, and Halfrauds spray painted with primer (maybe the mistake) and paint, then clearcoated it. It looked great for a year or two, but started to look dull. This last 18 months or so it has started to crack everywhere - around the filled holes, all over the upper sun-facing surface, but not on the vertical surfaces. Thoughts on how not to repeat it?

Crackled Paint
Crackled Paint

pewe

posted on 27/6/23 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Looks similar to the bonnet on the hairdressers.
It's either Halfrauds lacquer or a reaction between the colour coat and the residue from polish etc left on the surface when you painted it.
Did you properly de-grease before colour coating?
I'll watch in case someone more knowledgeable comes along.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/6/23 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I properly degreased everything and sanded most of the way through the old lacquer before washing with alcohol wipes and then drying. It's taken a very long time to do this and I'm wondering if it's heat or UV exacerbated, because the bulk of the panel is fine. I think I went a bit thick with base coats but nothing crazy. I then baked it with an IR heater for about 2 hours.
adithorp

posted on 28/6/23 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
I was told many years ago by a very good bodywork guy, that crazing like that, was caused by excessive paint thickness. Usually original paint not rubbed back far enough plus new put on to thick.
coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/23 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
The more I search online, the more I think you're right adithorp. I'm not really sure how I'm going to correct it without starting from scratch or pulling the whole thing back to bare metal to be honest - not a task I wanted to do.
nick205

posted on 28/6/23 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Let's aork on the basis the panel needs to be stripped to bare metal and start from scratch. Symapthise that's a hell of a task and not one many of us would want to take on either.

If it's a front wing, would it be an option to get a new wing, paint it off the car, then fit it?

If it's a rear wing (often welding and more effort required) then that may not be an option.

Alternative - get a couples of bodyshops to price up repainting it for you?

40inches

posted on 28/6/23 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think Adi is correct. I had exactly the same problem on a rear arch.
I sanded it back smooth and put on another coat of base and clear, it was OK for a week but slowly came back
Then I decided to cut it back as is, with G3 Premium. It took a while and was messy, but has been OK for about a year
This was with uPol paint, so not a branding issue.

adithorp

posted on 28/6/23 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Knock it back as far as the original undercoat I think... as long as that's not crazed as well.

Used to see it a lot where people had a cheap respray done. Cheap because they just flatted the old paint.

loggyboy

posted on 28/6/23 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Might get away with a good wet and dry rub back and relacquering?
coyoteboy

posted on 28/6/23 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Eesh I think a weekend of painting is in my future. I might pay someone to sandblast it back as I can't be bothered sanding it all back and while I would normally just whip on a new wing, these aren't available anymore and it has a bloody great snorkel mounting arrangement crafted into it.

The bonnet needs taking back to base too because of lacquer peel and I'm sure I'll cut through the base so I might as well just admit I need to bare metal both. I was hoping this would be a cheap task but when it comes to paint it never is!

nick205

posted on 28/6/23 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Eesh I think a weekend of painting is in my future. I might pay someone to sandblast it back as I can't be bothered sanding it all back and while I would normally just whip on a new wing, these aren't available anymore and it has a bloody great snorkel mounting arrangement crafted into it.

The bonnet needs taking back to base too because of lacquer peel and I'm sure I'll cut through the base so I might as well just admit I need to bare metal both. I was hoping this would be a cheap task but when it comes to paint it never is!

Paint is never cheap to get right.

Hours and hours of prep + hours and hours of painting and curing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.