Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Current PU/adhesive recommendations
jps

posted on 17/1/24 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Current PU/adhesive recommendations

Am looking at rivetting/bonding some brackets/alu strips to my chassis. I won't use a full tube of sealant so don't want to fork out for something like Sikaflex if there is a reasonably good budget alternative (or something available in smaller than the 'full size' tubes that seem common.

I know this has been well covered in the past, but products do change, so hoping for some recommendations from recent experience. Thinking maybe Puraflex 40 PU Sealant & Adhesive 300ml Black (current Toolstation product) - at £8 a tube.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/1/24 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
PU40 is good stuff. But as always depends on prep.
There are loads of "new" sealant/adhesives around. I use a lot of "Fix All" but not tried it for bonding brackets. I prefer mechanical fixings where possible.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/1/24 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Am looking at rivetting/bonding some brackets/alu strips to my chassis. I won't use a full tube of sealant so don't want to fork out for something like Sikaflex if there is a reasonably good budget alternative (or something available in smaller than the 'full size' tubes that seem common.

I know this has been well covered in the past, but products do change, so hoping for some recommendations from recent experience. Thinking maybe Puraflex 40 PU Sealant & Adhesive 300ml Black (current Toolstation product) - at £8 a tube.

I used that for my Dalek (attaching plywood to plastic) as I could not get Tiger seal locally when I needed it and Tool Station is just up the road. Seems fine but remains a bit softer than Tiger Seal when cured, possibly was slower to cure also. Horrible to get off your hands though, wear gloves. I have not tried to remove it or the parts but they seem very well attached. Used in addition with some rivets that would be great for brackets.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 17/1/24 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by jps

I used that for my Dalek (attaching plywood to plastic) as I could not get Tiger seal locally when I needed it and Tool Station is just up the road. Seems fine but remains a bit softer than Tiger Seal when cured, possibly was slower to cure also. Horrible to get off your hands though, wear gloves. I have not tried to remove it or the parts but they seem very well attached. Used in addition with some rivets that would be great for brackets.

I use cheap baby wipes to get sealants off my hands. They actually work. Just as well as the expensive mechanics/builders wipes (but smaller)
I think PU40 will clean up with white spirit too, but that may be me getting confused.

Slimy38

posted on 17/1/24 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was about to suggest eurocarparts is good for tigerseal, they often have it on the shelf. But it's quite expensive just on it's own (£9.49), and their current 'offer' isn't applicable.

If you wait to see what their next offer is, you could do a click and collect for a decent price.

jps

posted on 17/1/24 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I was about to suggest eurocarparts is good for tigerseal, they often have it on the shelf. But it's quite expensive just on it's own (£9.49), and their current 'offer' isn't applicable.

If you wait to see what their next offer is, you could do a click and collect for a decent price.

Cheers - had it in my mind that TigerSeal was pretty cheap (compared to Sika).

Basically trying to avoid throwing away half a tube of perfectly good sealant - but also need to get some bits bonded on before I can get onto the next step (fitting the hardline fuel and brake lines - once they go into the tunnel they can't just be popped in and out...)...

[Edited on 17/1/24 by jps]

Slimy38

posted on 17/1/24 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Cheers - had it in my mind that TigerSeal was pretty cheap (compared to Sika).

Basically trying to avoid throwing away half a tube of perfectly good sealant - but also need to get some bits bonded on before I can get onto the next step (fitting the hardline fuel and brake lines - once they go into the tunnel they can't just be popped in and out...)...

I've resigned myself to getting through several half-tubes of sealant. I thought I could get everything lined up before making a start, but I just can't get a sequence of events that can be done in a weekend let alone a few hours. And having to bin half a tube of adhesive is going to be infinitely better than trying to use a full tube and making a hash of it.

I think Tigerseal used to be cheap and just went up with inflation, but then so did Sika. Depending on which one you choose it's up to £20 on Amazon.

Myke 2463

posted on 18/1/24 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger seal @ Halfords £ 9.79 without trade card.

Be Lucky Mike.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/1/24 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463

One thing I've found with Tiger seal is that is goes of really quickly once opened, I've never got more than a couple of days out a tube even if I seal the end again. Apart from that it's Grrrreat! sorry

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Myke 2463

posted on 19/1/24 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463

One thing I've found with Tiger seal is that is goes of really quickly once opened, I've never got more than a couple of days out a tube even if I seal the end again. Apart from that it's Grrrreat! sorry

I always remove the nozzle and cover the end of the tube with a silicon glove and then replace the nozzle after i have cleaned it out. Give it a try, what's to loose.

Be Lucky Mike.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.