Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: idea for lighter exhaust heat shield?
02GF74

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
idea for lighter exhaust heat shield?

My current exhaust can heat shiled is made from some fairly thick stainless so most likely heavier than it need to be for the purpose.

I was thinking of making a stainless or aluminium frame, perhaps with a couple of windows and have woven wire mesh backing.

Anyone done or seen something like this? Rescued attachment heat shield.JPG
Rescued attachment heat shield.JPG

matt_claydon

posted on 31/3/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Why not just ditch the shield all together? The pipes are far hotter than the can anyway - I've burned myself (or my cover) on the pipe plenty of times but never on the can.
omega0684

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
if you dont want to ditch the heat shield there was a guy on here selling CF ones for about £70, but i have to agree, i would just ditch it, mind you my silencer doesn't get hot enough for you to burn yourself on really i use it to warm my hands when im driving!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 31/3/09 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
My passengers tend to use my can as a hand warmer in traffic. But then I have no heater, so they have no choice really.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

iank

posted on 31/3/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
What about a fairly open wire cage like the one Mark Allanson has on his? Can't weigh much at all.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Humbug

posted on 31/3/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
if you dont want to ditch the heat shield there was a guy on here selling CF ones for about £70, but i have to agree, i would just ditch it, mind you my silencer doesn't get hot enough for you to burn yourself on really i use it to warm my hands when im driving!

Or buy a cheap R1 carbon can, remove the carbon tube and make up some brackets/spacers. Probably cheaper than £70 (I got my carbon can for £30 BIN on the bay)

James

posted on 31/3/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i use it to warm my hands when im driving!

Me too!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.