Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin injectors on Zetec
plentywahalla

posted on 30/8/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Twin injectors on Zetec

Hi All

My engine build is getting on. A brand new Zetec 1.8 lump which has been Titan dry sumped. I have an ST170 stump manifold modified to match GSXR tb's. Also fitted is a four branch to one all stainless manifold and full flow catalyst and a lightened flywheel.

I have just obtained a Dunnell Race Modified head, ported, balanced and polished with wild cams and vernier pulleys.

All bolted together with ARP bolts this set-up should deliver 200 - 220 bhp.

Problem comes with the injectors. I have both the original ford injectors and the Suzi ones plus fuel rails etc. As I understand neither set will deliver enough fuel so I need bigger ones, Bosch 701's or equivalent.

OR ... I use both, as was suggested to me in an earlier thread. I searched under twin injectors and found a discussion back in 2007 which concluded that it was probably feasible using an Emerald ECU Which I was planning to use anyway.

Has anybody actually done it successfully? If so ... Questions are:

Can the emerald control 2 sets of injectors if they are of different makes and possibly different operating voltages?

Can both sets operate off one pressure regulator i.e. a common fuel rail?

And finally of course ... is there any real advantage?

I am planning to use the car for road and track. Its an all new parts build so will need to pass current emission regs.

I understand the emerald has a facility for three switchable base maps. I was foreseeing setting up one for road use, one for track, and the third for test when the inner injectors only were used to keep emissions to the minimum.

Your opinions / experiences will be welcome

big_wasa

posted on 30/8/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
One problem you may have is the ford inj will be low Z and the bike inj high Z

Some bikes now run a second set of injectors in the air box. Loads cheap on ebay.

I still think it will be hard work to map.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/8/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
and the third for test when the inner injectors only were used to keep emissions to the minimum.

If you know that these injectors are not big enough then this seems like an incredibly bad idea.

If the injector impedances are mixed then I suspect you won't be able to drive them all directly from the Emerald ECU. You might get away with ballast resstors for the low impedance ones, but considering how easy it is to find a suitable set of injectors I think this is a complex solution to a simple problem.

[Edited on 30/8/09 by MikeRJ]

big-vee-twin

posted on 30/8/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
INJECTORS

Just block up the suzuki injector pockets and use proper injectors.

You have invested a lot of money so far so why not keep up the good work.

Something like this linky

Should be up to the job. Also look at this linky2

[Edited on 30/8/09 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

flak monkey

posted on 30/8/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
A set of the right injectors should be about £150 from the states. I imported a set of blue ford racing injectors (440cc min) a few months back.

They will be a bit on the big side for your needs.

Have a search for bosch EV6 injectors on ebay.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

rusty nuts

posted on 30/8/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
According to Dave Walker (Mr Emerald himself) "Double injectors are the best compromise on injector position , giving the best of both worlds " (Taken from his book on Engine management ), well worth getting if you don't already have it. As for running different injectors / impedance Emerald can also supply resistor packs for use with low impedance injectors. Give Emerald a ring , always found Dave to be very helpful .
plentywahalla

posted on 30/8/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rusty Nuts

Thats the best idea.

I understand that on production engines the injectors are placed as close to the head as possible to minimise emissions, but as air velocity increases this becomes less efficient and the injectors need to be moved away to ensure proper atomisation and to maximise power.

On some racing engines even triple injectors with progressive metering are used.

I am after peak performance AND minimal emissions and as Dave Walker apparently says twin injectors are the ideal solution.

Its logical that I talk to him as I am a potential customer.

lsdweb

posted on 30/8/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald will run double injectors and as said above Dave recommends it in his book - take it to him for mapping would be my recommendation!

Buy the book if you want a good read (my car is pictured in it too :-) )

Wyn

locost@mintynet.com

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
The ST170 standard injectors are meant to be 330cc/min. I cant remember where I found this information. I have a similar setup on my 1800 Supercat, but not put the GSXR injectors on yet (that is if I ever do) as I have only just got it running on Megasquirt in the last few days.

[Edited on 30/8/09 by locost@mintynet.com]

big-vee-twin

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
INJECTORS

ST170 Injectors will give you 200-210 BHP
at 330 cc

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

plentywahalla

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
The Ford injectors I have came with the engine which was a stock 1.8 Focus.

I think they are only good for 160 bhp max

madteg

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Might help

I have drilled my th/bodies and fitted some 360cc injectors out of a 760 turbo vovlo, which are the same as a cosworth (BOSCH GREEN 360CC) also fitted the resistor pack as well. They coped with 250 BHP but now running over 300 BHP all i Had to do was turn the fuel pressure up and all good now. Bye the way injectors and resisters cost 20 pounds from scrappie.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.