Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aluminium Bonnet....Again
Ian Pearson

posted on 5/4/04 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Aluminium Bonnet....Again

Well, having messed up my third "LOCOST" bonnet, I'm thinking long and hard about the next attempt. The third attempt has been the closest fit, but the grade of aluminium that I asked for, (can't remember which, but the advice came from this list) didn't exist according to my supplier. The stuff I got was very hard, and using the tried and tested soap & torch annealing method, did nothing to the hardness of the aluminium, it did produce some very nice undulations though!

So as I turn my mind to spending yet more money on this "Budget" car, can any of you who have actually made their own bonnet out of aluminium, tell me what grade and thickness you used. Also, how did you form the side chanells neatly? I don't have a sheet metal bender.

Many thanks in advance, Ian.

Peteff

posted on 5/4/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Use one of your earlier attempts as a template to get somewhere near the shape. If you use half hard as in the book you don't need to do any annealing. Mark the centre line of the bonnet and the centre of the scuttle and nosecone and line them up. I taped mine with some duct tape to hold it in place. Push the ends down to start the bend and don't let the sheet move off centre, then get your ratchet strap(s) and secure round the bonnet area and wind it in till it touches the side panels. Draw round it and trim off the excess or leave a bit to make a flange, but if you use 16g you don't need one. Mine worked first time like this and we made several more using the same method.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ian Pearson

posted on 5/4/04 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Pete. Will order some 16g half hard ali and see what I can come up with!

Regards, Ian.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.