Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying the Sylva - maybe.
zilspeed

posted on 31/10/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Modifying the Sylva - maybe.

I've just bought some Striker bits.

I don't actually have a striker, but that doesn't matter. I bought them with the intention of building a chassis to suit my size - I don't really fit a striker.

Anyway, being curious, I tried the nosecone onto the front of the Leader / Star, call it what you will. I reckon it's a Star because it has allly side panels, but the front section is definitely Leader.

I digress.

The Star chassis is very broad at the front and uses the unmodified Viva crossmember, hence the body shape.

So here's the Striker nosecone on the Star chassis.

Striker Nosecone
Striker Nosecone

As you will see at the NSF, the crossmember and chassis sticks right out, but I have done a quick and dirty job in paint to 'remove' these bits on the OSF.
I have also done some measuring up and extrapolated the chassis shape if it were to continue forwards tapering in and binnig the Viva Xmember and square front chassis section.

The nosecone lines up exactly.

What do we think ?

Get the hacksaw out ?

Guinness

posted on 31/10/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea Zil. Should make it more aerodynamic, save weight and look better.

Are you thinking of buying / making new wishbones / front chassis similar to an Indy / MNR etc?

But, I'm begining to think you don't actually like driving

Mike

zilspeed

posted on 31/10/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Great idea Zil. Should make it more aerodynamic, save weight and look better.

Are you thinking of buying / making new wishbones / front chassis similar to an Indy / MNR etc?

But, I'm begining to think you don't actually like driving

Mike

Mike

I'm just too much of a procrastinator / too skint.

I would be looking at a new front section of the chassis.

Oval section wishbones / pushrods.
I wouldn't see any point in copying someone else's design, especially when using completely different uprights.

It would be a clean sheet front end, so I guess I can do whatever I want to it.

bmseven

posted on 31/10/09 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting food for thought, but we already have 2 leader front ends

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

zilspeed

posted on 31/10/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven

So you think getting the reciprocating saw out is a bad idea then ?

Or is it too good an idea ?

Steve Hignett

posted on 31/10/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Get it chopped off... (said my Rabbi )

D Beddows

posted on 31/10/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Noooooo - I actualy LIKE the shape of the Leader! (and yes I know I'm in a minority ) and imo it'll be far too easy to make something that looks like you've cut and shut a Leader and a Striker rather than made a new model - if you get what I mean

zilspeed

posted on 31/10/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Noooooo - I actualy LIKE the shape of the Leader! (and yes I know I'm in a minority ) and imo it'll be far too easy to make something that looks like you've cut and shut a Leader and a Striker rather than made a new model - if you get what I mean

The scuttle would be unmodified, as would the existing wheelbase, track and side panels.
The standard front would fit back on if required.

The standard front weighs 34kg, the crossmember and wisbones another 25kg.

The Striker nosecone weighs 4kg. The tube to replace the crossmember and bones, 10kg.

So, I get to lose 45kg from the car, which was already quite heavy.

That's 7 stones in old money. Who wouldn't want to lose that kind of weight from their car if they want it to go quick ?

(I've just checked all of these weights.)

I know the wheels will be exposed and there are possibly some aerodynamic disadvantages at higher speed, but I'm talking about relatively low speed events where I don't reckon aerodynamics play a massive part.
Weight certainly does.

bmseven

posted on 31/10/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven

So you think getting the reciprocating saw out is a bad idea then ?

Or is it too good an idea ?

It's your car it will certainly be unique and the weight loss is not to be sniffed at.

I guess its always reversable(ish)

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

D Beddows

posted on 31/10/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I understand exactly why you're thinking of doing it - but you're talking about fairly major modifications so, if you're after something lightweight, may I suggest you might be starting from the wrong place anyway?? I always love seeing the more unusual cars sprinting/hillclimbing and a parade of 7 alikes isn't much fun to watch tbh as one pretty much looks like the next..... a Sylva Leader on the other hand

bmseven

posted on 31/10/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just be very careful with the angle grinder

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

zilspeed

posted on 31/10/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Oh I understand exactly why you're thinking of doing it - but you're talking about fairly major modifications so, if you're after something lightweight, may I suggest you might be starting from the wrong place anyway?? I always love seeing the more unusual cars sprinting/hillclimbing and a parade of 7 alikes isn't much fun to watch tbh as one pretty much looks like the next..... a Sylva Leader on the other hand

Yep you're right.
It's more than probably the wrong starting place, but it's the starting place I'm at.

I'm more than aware of how much all of the leading competitors spend and know that I can't join in that game either.

There's a well known Scottish phrase which I can't repeat in here, suffice to say it goes along the lines of having to make do with what you have

Besides, in these parts, hand knitted one offs are almost traditional.

I give you an S2000 powered Gemini and a spaceframed FWD Reliant Kitten with an Imp engine on top of a mini transmission as examples of Scottish thinking.

Memphis Twin

posted on 3/11/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used to hillclimb and sprint a well sorted Leader. I really do love the shape, but the heavy fibreglass front end was always a hindrance (75lbs!). I managed to source a complete lightweight body (so thin you could see through it) and managed to shave off a massive amount of weight. But even then it still weighed about 600kg....

...so I bought a Striker MK2 complete with crappy 1300 x-flow, transferred all my trick bits onto it (Race 1700 X-Flow, Bullet gearbox, LSD etc) and immediately lost 100kg. Entered 10 events the next season, won 8 and crashed in 2!

I loved the handling, shape and sheer eccenticity of the Leader, and I had some great times with it, but the lighter Striker was a much faster animal.

And the Mallock was even faster....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.