Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting GRP and RAL colours.
James

posted on 16/6/04 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Painting GRP and RAL colours.

Just want to check that what I think is the actually *is* the case before I spend any money.

Would I be right in thinking that the RAL colour system is a UK standard and both paint and GRP gel coat adhears to it?

Therefore if I buy a set of GRP from one manufacturer and a different coloured bonnet bulge from another I can sort it with a matching RAL can of spray paint?

I realise that the finish will be different but the principle is correct- right?

Thanks,

James

locoboy

posted on 16/6/04 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Pantone reference is a similar thng too if its any help.

ATB
Locoboy

wicket

posted on 16/6/04 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
James
RAL colours are German standard, see attached link for colours; BS381C is similar UK chart, also on the attached link.
Although Pantone refs can be used for paint matching it is generally used for printing.

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/ral.html

Peteff

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you take your wing or bonnet to a decent paint supplier they should be able to match it exactly James. I had a 1/2 litre of cellulose mixed to paint my nosecone after I cracked it and it's a good match. Only cost about £20 for paint and thinners. They will put it in an aerosol for you at the same place but I don't know how much that costs.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 16/6/04 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
The Gelcoat colours (pigments) come from a variety of sources. USA, BSI, and a variety of clones from around the globe too boot
Most automotive paint shops can match them though.
Shug.

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/6/04 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Automotive paint shops won't be able to sell you any unless you have an EPA licence, unless you have a mate who can!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

James

posted on 18/6/04 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, should have know it wasn't as simple of getting a matching RAL can of paint from Halfords!

Thanks for the info' everyone!

James

blueshift

posted on 18/6/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've been getting paint from my local factor recently, costs aboot a tenner a can for custom mixed stuff with a proper fan pattern. not sure how much the can holds, 500ml maybe?
Lightning

posted on 18/6/04 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used celulose paint in an airarsehole for the tiger and my old JPS Lotus Elan over etch primer. about £7.50 per can. Red was matched to Mitsubishi, the JPS was black obviously. Both went on a treat and a good finish was acheived with minor cutting back.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.