Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a GRP mould
Thinking about it

posted on 23/11/10 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Making a GRP mould

Most information states to use 2 pack paint to paint the buck, polish it then make the mould from it.
Not having any 2 pack paint and also it not being too friendly. Is it possible to coat the buck in flowcoat, then sand and polish then take the mould from it?

stevebubs

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I just painted it with normal paints from halfords....
tegwin

posted on 23/11/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
You just need a non porous surface that will take polishing..... I have used white emulsion paint designed for outdoor use in the past....
clairetoo

posted on 23/11/10 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I use a polyester based spray filler which don't react with the gloat , and leaves a smooth satin finish.
If you want it shiny , the mold can then easily be polished with a bit of Tcut...

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

alexg1965

posted on 23/11/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Found this website whilst looking for some supplies which has some great "How to" videos.

Link

Triton

posted on 23/11/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have used allsorts in the past with no dramas until earlier this year I painted my kayak plug with celly then 3 or 4 coats of clear laquer. Left it to cure then polished it...waxed the whole thing 6 times and even used pva release as I have done in the past...But the gel coat lifted the paint in places which I would have seen if only I hadn't pigmented it.
Once mould was made and ready for popping it I had a cow of a job to get the plug out only to find the reaction that had taken place, first of all it looked like the mould was buggered but it left laquer in a weird pattern all over both halves of the mould.

I had to resort to 3 solid days of nowt but washing with thinners to get it all off......so don't use celly as summat has changed with that stuff and I'm not the only muppet to find out.

Use durabuild, it's expensive but wow what results as it can be highly polished and unlike paint won't lift.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 23/11/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Durabuild, I'm a complete amateur at this (or was at one stage) and it works for me. I added some blue pigment to it.

Cheers

Fred W B

pattern feb 10 - 06
pattern feb 10 - 06

[Edited on 23/11/10 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 23/11/10 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.