Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daylight, at last!!!
Dunc

posted on 2/9/02 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Daylight, at last!!!

After what I thought would be a 2 week job turned out to be 5 months and 5 50m lengths of sandpaper later and I have emerged from my darkened hole and just realised I have practically missed summer,D'oh!

I have just completed the buck for my scuttle bonnt nosecone and all that is left is to polish it, fibreglass it and then make the real thing, another 5 months maybe?

To anyone contemplating making their own nosecone I'd say 'don't' unless you are a 16th century italian sculpter. Next time I'd buy one and make the chassis fit around that! Anyway, I've taken a couple of pics and posted them in my archive bit for anyone interested.

James

posted on 2/9/02 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome back to the light Dunc!

Nose cone looks fantastic! after 5 months I hope you think so too!

Cheers,

James

scutter

posted on 2/9/02 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry wasn't much of a summer this year anyway.

Outstanding job on the nose cone.

Later Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 2/9/02 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Top job! Well done, looks great

Now imagine my heartache doing a full body
I'd definitely agree with the advice, unless you have very good reasons for doing your own moulds DONT. It's very long and hard work, with no or little incremental reward.

Dunc, would you do it again?

BTW, the mould making and part making is relatively quick by comparison.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dunc

posted on 2/9/02 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would do it again, I learnt a lot of what to do and what not to do. I would probably do similar to you Alan with the hardboard to make most of the surfaces and I'd cut down on the compound curves.

I did it because I was planning to make a few cars for family and friends to take to track days as well as pleasure driving and wanted to use as many sierra parts as possible, including the radiator, which is wide and tall and so are the engines, hence the higher curve round about where the cam covers are. Any power bulges that may be required will only be subtle.

It is quite a bit taller and wider than standard bonnets and nosecones but doesn't really look it and will blend in with the wider track of the sierra.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.