Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting Ally
Wadders

posted on 2/9/02 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Painting Ally

Hi all
has anyone got any advice to give on painting ally panels? I want to spray my side and back panels matt black, but want to use something which is durable and will stick to ally and fiberglass ok. Years ago i sprayed a G.S 750 engine with something called "Groundcoat black" this stuff was virtually indestructable, i think it was meant to be undercoat for coach paint.Only thing is i can't remember who made it (Doh!)and besides it might look crap on flat panels.

Al

merlin

posted on 2/9/02 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was recommended a upoxy etching filler primer for use on just about everything from MDF to ali to GRP. Ready for sanding in 20 mins and ready for top coat in 30!! Superb stuff if you ask me! Try contacting 'the colourmatch centre' in Abercrombe Avenue, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire - they're really helpful!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/9/02 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
absolutely you need to use an ETCHING primer.

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 3/9/02 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just another voice of approval for using etch primer! I know nothing about paintwork but I did know that.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/9/02 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
i did a great job on spraying a metro turbo once with cellulose paint. During the rebuild of the car, which had a lot of panels replaced, i used acrylic - ala halfords spray cans - as an undercoat. This was useful as i could paint bits as i went without them rusting and having to deal with a proper gun.

Great paint job. Lovely.

Until it was knocked a little bit. The paint would just come off in nice flat 'scabs'. It got so I had to sell it cos it was nerve wracking what might come off next.

Acrylic isnt compatable in keying terms with cellulose paint.

DONT make this mistake by not using the right paint and undercoat on alu.

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.