Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions and thoughts!
JC

posted on 22/6/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions and thoughts!

I am getting to the stage where I have to seriously consider the bodywork for my car! On my original idea, the upper side rails were covered full length with a fibreglass moulding. I had thought of using 'Curon' pre-preg fibreglass for this as it gave a good finish without the need for a buck/mould/panel three stage process.

It seems Curon is no longer available. I must confess, I find the idea of fibreglassing quite daunting - it would also be very messy = anti-social in the domestic garage! A compromise I came up with a while ago was to use simple flat/single curvature panels at the rear and the modified Beetle Bonnet (!) and the front - suitably fillered of course!

So, my question to the collective is this: Original Fibreglass plan - Expensive, time consuming, messy but best looking (if I get it right....) or simple panels - compromise on looks but much easier to do!

Here are some pictures to help!:

Original Plan:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Simple panels:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Description
Description

[img] Description
Description
[/img]
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 22/6/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you decide to go for fibreglass consider glass over foam - much less skill and time and effort and money compared with building a buck and then pulling a panel.

Something like this http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_112926/article.html

Since 90% of the effort is sanding down foam blocks it's a lot less antisocial compared with the resin bit.
Panels can potentially be lighter as well which is a win

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JC

posted on 22/6/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of glass over foam - there were some negative comments on here about the toxicity of epoxy resin that were putting me off - any thoughts appreciated (likewise anyone in the Lincoln-Newark-Grantham area who can help me )
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 22/6/13 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the right foam (polyurethane I think) then you can use polyester resin which is much safer if not as highly performing. I'd talk to one of the material suppliers about compatibility and safety e.g.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/
or
http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/

It's the method they use to make surfboards so worth a poke around the web to see how they do it.
Also at ECS they have a surfboard course which could be applicable if you're into courses.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ettore bugatti

posted on 22/6/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
pre-preg carbonfiber?

or

vacuumformed pieces (PC)

JC

posted on 22/6/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
It was pre preg fibre glass that came on a roll, already with a smooth finish. You peeled one side of plastic wrap off, formed it, and then when you peeled the blue wrap off the other side, it cured with uv light. I has some samples and it was pretty good!
Schrodinger

posted on 23/6/13 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Prepreg_7781_E_Glass_3100

Is this what you are after?

Keith
Aviemore

JC

posted on 23/6/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
That's similar, the Curon cured at room temperature on exposure to UV light though, rather than in an oven!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.