Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting (old) Mini windscreen
Mave

posted on 28/10/04 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting (old) Mini windscreen

Does anyone have any experience with cutting a slightly bend, laminated windscreen? I'd like to use the screen of a Mini on my Indy, but it would need to be cut on the sides (and maybe a bit lower).

Now I know it is possible, but the companies who can do it warn me that there is a slight chance, that the screen will break, due to internal stresses.

I'd like to know if anyone went this route, and what his experience is.

Thanks,
Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 28/10/04 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mave

I'd like to know if anyone went this route, and what his experience is.

Thanks,
Marcel

So would I as I've been thinking about using a mini screen myself!

James

midlifecrisis

posted on 28/10/04 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I haven't actually cut a mini screen down to fit a Locost ,but I have had a few screens cut over the years to fit roof chopped cars I have built . I think an old screen has a lot more probs when cutting ,due to it may have a small chip etc,which any stress crack would easily 'run to ' if there was a chance .A lot of screen cutters wont even give it a go ,new or old screen ,even if you take the risk. The trick is to lay the screen curve uppermost ,on a blanketed flat surface ,with lots of support under the ends ,but acces to the line from underneath . The cut is done ,by freehand ,along the line you have marked , doing the upper (inner) surface of glass first ,then without turning it over cutt opposite (under side ) meths is then poured into the cut,set alight,which softens the plastic ,and special pliers used to grip the screen to "wiggle " the edge up and down to ease it away from the bit you want .Have had heavily curved screens done this way also.Sorry ,cant describe better ,have a glazier mate who usually does mine ,but even he doesnt like me watching the process,cos its tricky to do .Hope I've been some help . ROD
Mave

posted on 29/10/04 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Whaaa, that sounds scary! Hmm, but still....a slightly curved windscreen looks so much better than a flat one..... So I might give it a go......

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dutchsuperseven
Builder

Posts 105
Registered 28/2/03
Location Born, Holland

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Locost-clone, powered by zetec 1.8, sierra type N9

posted on 5/11/04 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Mave,
I heard about the midlifecrisis-method too. It indeed sounds scary. A automotive-glass supplier of our company told me about this method a few yaers ago, but when i asked him last week if they still used this method he said "no, please not"! Will call you this weekend about my new Mini windshield!
Greetingz, Rob

MikeRJ

posted on 7/11/04 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is there no way of cutting laminated glass with e.g. a high pressure water jet with abrasive grit in it? I know this is used to cut all sorts of other material.
midlifecrisis

posted on 8/11/04 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Y ikes !! Thats a bit advanced fro a locoster!!!!!!!! lol
silex

posted on 11/11/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you have one or can get access - a thin diamond coated slitting wheel in your grinder gets the job done. Takes patience and a steady hand though. Also, make sure you use a mask and gogs.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/11/04 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by midlifecrisis
Y ikes !! Thats a bit advanced fro a locoster!!!!!!!! lol

I didn't mean actually doing it yourself! You can cut really hard stuff with water jet + abrasive grit, there are commercial operations that do this sort of thing.

midlifecrisis

posted on 11/11/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard that it can be done with a diamond cutting wheel too ,but never seen a finished result . P'raps no one has ever got that far cos they've got the 'shakes' and blown the glass!! lol ROD
silex

posted on 12/11/04 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
A diamond wheel is easier on laminated than a toughened screen. The lamination makes the screen less susceptable to the " shakes ".

1.Apply masking tape along the line of cut, as this makes the first cut easier (reduces slipping).

2. Apply a very light cut following the line as close and as straight as possible.

3. Take following cuts using the first lighter cut as a guide. You will eventually split the screen in two.

It is possible to cut through the screen in one pass, but I think it is easier and less damage prone to do it in a number of cuts. At least then if you get tired or shaky you can stop at the end of a cut more quickly.

Also, if you have problems with the blade clogging from the platic, you can cut both glass sides - stopping when you get to plastic (you can feel the difference) and then split the plastic with stanley knife.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.