Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Cat E1 rear out of line
ADJA77

posted on 31/10/19 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger Cat E1 rear out of line

Hi guys, I’m looking at buying a Tiger Cat E1 but noticed the rear of the body seems to be about an inch out of line so the wheel on the left sticks out from the wheel arch but the other wheel is still inside the arch.

The guy said it was like this when he got the car a good few years ago and said it’s due to the body not the chassis.

Why would this be?
Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

nick205

posted on 31/10/19 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I've not built a Tiger or even ever really looked closely at one myself. I seem to recall other people on here who were building Tiger kits mentioning disparity in the GRP bodywork widths of the rear arches. From memory some people went as far as modifying the GRP bodywork (narrowing the wider side) to even appearance of the finished car.

As said, I've not built one myself or really looked at them so I'm sure other members may post with more detailed experience.

big_wasa

posted on 31/10/19 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Just fo a search on tiger fibre glass.

There will also likely be an inch gap between the chassis rail and bonnet. Ventilation lol

overdriver

posted on 31/10/19 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was an ill fitting rear tub. Mine is a fairly good fit but there is some evidence around the spare wheel holder bracket that the original builder may have had a couple of attempts at lining it up.

As big_wasa says the bonnet shut line is a joke. Also the provision or, rather, lack of for the headlamp bracket in the nosecone gives rise to some imaginative 'sculpture work'. OK it's not got Park Ward or Mulliner coachwork but a Tiger Cat is still good value fun.

big_wasa

posted on 31/10/19 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep it's still a 7. Just balance the condition with price.
belgian2b

posted on 31/10/19 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

i had the same when i built my Tiger Cat E1.

i could make some adjustment by placing a bar into the wheel arch ( see Tiger forum, in the buid manual)

Car was driving fine, wheels in line with the chassis. It 's only the bodywork.

Gerardo

Abe

posted on 31/10/19 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve got a Tiger. The rear tub is pretty good but the bonnet alignment is causing a few headaches, probably cos I’m a perfectionist lol. Have you joined the Tiger owners club? Well worth doing and asking on there as everyone’s really helpful.
ADJA77

posted on 31/10/19 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments guys.

So it sounds like it’s not something that should stop me buying it then

Abe

posted on 31/10/19 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Take a good look underneath the back at the chassis bud to make sure it isn’t bent or looks out of alignment. Obviously check online to see if it’s been in an accident or subject to an insurance claim. I imagine it would drive horribly if the rear was all out of alignment.
ADJA77

posted on 31/10/19 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Done a check online and and all came back ok.

Guys had the car for about 8 years and all the mot’s look good with hardly any advisories through the years so looks good from the online checks.

Bodywork looks good too from the pictures I have seen.

Abe

posted on 31/10/19 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good 👌
nickm

posted on 31/10/19 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I had a Tiger Cat they use the complete sub frame from a Sierra. This is bolted to the chassis under the "pigs ears" in the cockpit on the floor at the back of seats and im sure elsewhere but cant remember the exact details this is why they tend to be a bit heavier than other 7 types. The shocks are another connection point between chassis and subframe if i remember right.
Check it but more than likely to be a combination of poor fitting fibreglass and handbuilt car.

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.