Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone got a really nice (but cheap) out door car cover they use? anyone built a tent type thing to cover their car?
timB

posted on 15/7/23 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
anyone got a really nice (but cheap) out door car cover they use? anyone built a tent type thing to cover their car?

looking a recommendation for a new car cover please. I've gone generic, small car, and it more or less does the job, but I'd like something more snug fitting.
I wondered about putting the car in a small "polly tunnel" on the drive, anyone tried that?

Thanks,

[Edited on 15/7/23 by timB]

JAG

posted on 15/7/23 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbour has one of these on his drive. He works on his old SAAB in it - it looks like a nice bit of kit

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

JoelP

posted on 16/7/23 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I'm looking for a new one too, had to bail the car out last time. Was thinking of the Halfords one at about £55. Garage got converted to a gym lol

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR

posted on 16/7/23 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
I walk past someone restoring a bmw in one of those Halfords tents. It's survived a couple of winters with no obvious damage.
bi22le

posted on 17/7/23 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
When I was considering leaving my car outside for a considerable amount of time (6 months) I was going to just buy a 2nd hand camping tent.

£250 would have got a low use good quality large tent and ground sheet, it was going to be on the grass and I was not intending to work on the car while in there.

Just a thought

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

coyoteboy

posted on 17/7/23 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Bog standard halfords outdoor cover does my tin-top 6 months of the year - lasts about 2 seasons and costs 50 quid.
Cover
Cover

pewe

posted on 17/7/23 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've used two covers on the hairdressers for years with no ill affects.
Next to the paintwork is a soft, non-woven fabric one aka showerproof/tyvek, then on top of that a waterproof one, both fleabay cheappies.
I always park it on a well drained hardstanding and use those crocodile plastic clamps underneath on each corner to stop the covers blowing off and help air circulation by keeping each cover corner above ground.
I did buy a pop-up garage years ago but it blew off at the first sign of gale force winds, so I'd recommend you choose carefully if going down that route.

nick205

posted on 17/7/23 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Guy in my road keeps his weekend soft-top car (drives a work van in the week) under a Halfords car cover. Mainly to protect it from bird poo and tree sap (parks under a tree).

1. The cover regularly blows off and has to be recovered.
2. Each cover lasts about a year and half before splitting at the seams.
3. If you have the space I'd go for the Clarke tent type thing JAG is showing (make sure it's securely tied down).

loggyboy

posted on 17/7/23 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how good they'd would be on a 7esq but Aldi do half decent car covers. They are less than £10 and last about 2 years of UV, longer if you dont use them every day in summer.
nick205

posted on 17/7/23 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Not sure how good they'd would be on a 7esq but Aldi do half decent car covers. They are less than £10 and last about 2 years of UV, longer if you dont use them every day in summer.

Good tip!

An Aldi "Special Buy" from the centre aisle can often be a good buy.

Picked up a 12V car tyre pump from them for £1 a couple of years back. Discounted as it had a torn box, but worns perfectly

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/7/23 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords 'All Season' cover does the job in the paddock, kept the car dry last weekend in the biblical downpours. They're soft-lined (this does absorb some water), very heavy (especially when wet) and come up large. Straps go under the car, the front tucks under the front wing (removing the timing strut required, it bends under the weight otherwise), the rear tucks under the diffuser. Complete coverage.
How good it would be for long-term use, unsure.

[Edited on 17/7/23 by motorcycle_mayhem]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.