Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you recommend me a colour match service you have tried?
Mr Whippy

posted on 1/8/23 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Can you recommend me a colour match service you have tried?

Hi,

I've been trying in vain to find company who can actually manage to match a paint sample accurately! the old car is needing some touch up but whatever colour they used has not been recorded on the spray shop receipt which was the height of stupidity tbh. There are no codes on the body or VIN plate.

Thanks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/8/23 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Can't recommend a colour match service, but is this website any help....?

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1938&manuf= Ford

russbost

posted on 1/8/23 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Any decent paint supplier should be able to offer a range of colour cards you can try against the vehicle, if you have something which can be removed, I know some of the larger suppliers now have the facility where they scan it to determine the colour & can then give a formula for a match, unfortunately any paint supplied is only as accurate as the guys who does the mix. I had 2 batches of paint from a local supplier to the same colour code, but were substantially different.

The smaller the amount they are mixing the less accurate to the genuine mixed colour formulation it's likely to be

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
perksy

posted on 1/8/23 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Decent paint supplier with a spectrometer and colour match cards

BUT as said above it all depends on the skill of the operator/mixer

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/8/23 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ask at some bodyshops who they recommend. They will know the good ones.
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/8/23 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't recommend a colour match service, but is this website any help....?

https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?year=1938&manuf= Ford

Thanks for that, but I'm still not sure if it's even a Ford colour! Somewhat miffed that the painter didn't even write down the code, however up close you can see that it isn't the best quality either, shiny but imperfect so it might just be a small garage job. Funny though, I don't know why so many people think the cars from that time were all black as they clearly weren't.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/8/23 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help, I've emailed a supplier who claims they can analyse a sample and make a match. Funnily enough they've literally just replied, they say anything about the size of my hand would be fine and they will return it with the paint, not given me a cost though. I think there is a bit in the engine bay I could remove and still use the car.

Let that be a lesson when painting your car, pick a common standard colour you can get at any store like Halford.

[Edited on 2/8/23 by Mr Whippy]

jacko

posted on 2/8/23 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
It’s not only the colour it’s the different shades in that colour
Take Ford Arizona gold it has 7 different shades from shade 1 to 7 has a big difference in colour

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.