Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making the mould (at last)
stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Making the mould (at last)

As the 2Kw heater dried the PVA pretty quickly, I put the gelcoat on tonight

Originally made up 200ml of gelcoat with about 5ml of hardener

Slapped it on with a brush, but it only covered 1/2 the buck

Made up another 200ml and that did the trick.

Rolled over the whole lot several times using one of the metal rollers from CFS...

Gelcoat for the mould
Gelcoat for the mould

Comments welcome - has got a very stippled surface...

[Edited on 14/1/06 by stevebubs]

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you rolled wetted out matt and not the gel coat?.....don't say you rolled the gel coat please...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
um....gelcoat...is that a numpty moment that fecks everything up?
Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you get the gel coat too thin it might wrinkle and distort, you end up with a wrinkled mould then.

Come on tell me you never rolled the gel coat while it was still wet?....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
(Ahem)....take a look....

[img][/img]

stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I should add that the gelcoat is still pretty thick - only rolled it out to spread it more evenly.... 400ml of gelcoat on 22in x 22in....
Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Let it dry till you can make finger prints in it but not move it about...ie tacky but not...then gel it again
When ready lay up one layer of matt and let it go off...rub it down with course paper then add a couple more layers..let it go off and blah de blah....don't go banging loadsa layers down in one go as it will get too hot and distort.
Take your time and the more layers the stronger the mould will be....add some wood to hold it in shape as well...this will let you sit it on a bench as well without rolling about.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
OK...Was Going to do the glassing with it sat on some plywood on the floor...
stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's about 12 degrees in the garage with the heater on....how long do you reckon for the Gelcoat to go off....presumably be tomorrow now?
Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally the surface of the gel wants to be ripple free so the matt is easier to get down without air pockets....add a layer the roller it to get the air out..
Easier said than done till you get the gist of things.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
How course a paper? 40grit?
stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Ideally the surface of the gel wants to be ripple free so the matt is easier to get down without air pockets....add a layer the roller it to get the air out..
Easier said than done till you get the gist of things.

OK...so second layer of gel tomorrow, and only brush it on...what's the best way to get a ripple-free surface?

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Make a box around the mould then aim the heater at it...not too close though.
All depends on how much squirt you used in the gelcoat as well...has it gone off in the bucket?

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
dont try and spread the gelcoat too thin, a slightly thicker layer should be less prone to rippling. you should be able to see when it gets too thin as it will star to bead into lumps and not be even if that happens just add a little more till it turns into a uniform layer.
Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Gel coating is nowt like painting...hardest part to get your head round i found because you are so tempted to brush it out when you shouldn't.
Thick even coat keeping brush fully loaded, avoiding ripples.
If you are unsure let it dry then pull it off and start again, better to waste a bit of gel than find out the mould is knackered

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Make a box around the mould then aim the heater at it...not too close though.
All depends on how much squirt you used in the gelcoat as well...has it gone off in the bucket?

Dunno - cleaned the bucket out with acetone pronto...

Did a test covering on a tin at the same tim - still very wet.

Ripples on the buck seem to have settled out a bit now....

PS "Squirt" = Hardener?

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass is satisfying but at times sole destroying when a mould you have taken ages to make and spent a fortune on materials sticks or chips when you take it off the plug...
Same goes for the parts you make fromthe mould...you don't know the surface is ok till you have made it and popped it from the mould...........avoid yellow as that's a complete tart!

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Best to let the stuff go off inthe bucket then it breaks out easy

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah sorry squirt = hardner= catalyst..which also works at different rates depending on what make it is. Some take ages others kick quickly.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ahem...

Big Hole For Dellortos
Big Hole For Dellortos

stevebubs

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah sorry squirt = hardner= catalyst..which also works at different rates depending on what make it is. Some take ages others kick quickly.

Everything I have is CFS...

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
CFS are good blokes mate, i use them for all my stuff now i only live round the corner from them.
Trick is to buy the top quality resin, gel coat and matt etc.....cheap resin is hard to use as you can never judge when it will suddnely go pop on you

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
The squirt that cfs supply seems to be slow then all of a sudden it kicks....SG10 is good stuff but kicks quick so you have to work a little quicker

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Avoneer

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

Just to clarify - don't use the roller on the gel.

Just a paint brush and spread it thick - it will settle itself and smooth out.

When the gels tacky (about a day later), cover it in resin, put a sheet of mat on and dab with another brush continually dipping the brush in more resin.

Then put a another sheet of mat on, dab again with a brush and more resin.

Then you can use your metal roller to squeeze out all the air between the gel and the 1st piece of mat and between both sets of mat. But don't press too hard or you'll just drag the fibres around.

Leave it a day and then do the same again with another two layers of mat.

Leave it another day - then crack the buck off the mould.

Anything to add/correct Mr Triton to my interpretation???

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Avoneer

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, and do all your gel and resin in the bottom of plastic milk cartons (cut in half of course).

You can inspect them a bit later to see if what's left has gone off and just chuck them away after use.

Pat...

[Edited on 14/1/06 by Avoneer]

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.