Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel filler...... Back or top load ?
bob

posted on 26/2/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel filler...... Back or top load ?

I'm about to fit a boot box so i'm going to need to move my fuel filler, i fancy the aero cap on the back but i've heard there are issues with re-fueling and air locking.
Has anyone else had any problems with the fuel filler on the rear ? If i fixed the aero cap on the top near the boot i could then have the problem of petrol spill into the boot so has anyone had issues with this fitment as well ?

David Jenkins

posted on 26/2/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I have a filler near the top on the back panel, connected to the tank with a bit of rubber tube bent about 80 degrees,

Yes, I do have problems filling, and can never squeeze the nozzle to full-on without it clicking off again.

David

givemethebighammer

posted on 26/2/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Put it in the top and fill it carefully !

Rescued attachment fuelfiller.jpg
Rescued attachment fuelfiller.jpg

billy

posted on 26/2/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
My filler is on the top, i aint had a problem with spilling it into the boot yet the nossle fits in nicely too

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Humbug

posted on 26/2/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's on the top - like the others, just fill carefully to avoid spillage. I had a Westfield with the filler on the back and it was a nightmare to fill - several times I had the pump time out before it was full.
bigrich

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
my rear mount filler is a little slow but it gives you chance to answer the usual questions in the petrol station
bob

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
After the replies so far its a no brainer, and now i've seen chris's top corner mount i think that'll do for me since i have the same boot box.

I think i know what i will be doing on my next 7 rest days

Hellfire

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Another top filler

[img][/img]

mnr laptop

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
i have done all three, top side and rear quickest filling was top, followed by side mount then rear mount last, also found using the flexible filler pipe from think auto allowed longer shallower bends helping speed filling up, also we have quite large vent pipes on the tanks which helps

i personally prefer the side mount option as the pump hose is not then resting on the bodywork

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
indykid

posted on 27/2/06 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
most people with a rear mounted filler have trouble with the pumps when trying to fill up, either it clicking off or it chucking petrol all over the rear panel

Chris

yes, and yes. the worst is getting it on the carbon effect abs light housings. if you wipe them when wet, it takes some of the pattern off, if you leave it on, it makes them dull.

it looks far better imho though, breaks the flat expanse up.

tom

scutter

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Bob, I'd put in the top panel as mines a pain in the A**E to fill. I really like the way Chris has done his

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 27/2/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love to come down on the side of rear panel, but it's a right royal pain in the ass getting fuelled up!
I do agree with Indykid though, looks better. A bigger vent seemed to improve things, and, hey, it's only a 20 litre tank so filling doesn't take long anyway!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 27/2/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Marcus
What you do down the side of your rear panel is between you and your car, i'll pop down to think automotive thursday and get myself a length of the flexible fuel hose and top load.

Thanks for the input guys its much appreciated

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
If I was putting a filler on the top panel I'd put it in a dish of some sort, with a drain - just in case.

If I was doing my back end again (oooer! ) I would probably put it on top - hindsight is a wonderful thing!

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.