Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle wing stays part 273b
Humbug

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle wing stays part 273b

One of my wing stays broke again today - I think that's about 5 times between the two now.

They are ST items of the traditional type for Cortina hubs, i.e. a triangular plate with 3 holes to bolt to the brake dust cover holes, tubular arms and flat bar to go round the under the wing. First to go was the join between the flat and the tube on one side. I got that welded up with a second 3mm flat welded onto it (and had all the others done). Since then, one or other join between the hollow tube and the mounting plate has broken.

Just wondered if a different design might help, using thicker flat bar from the plate all the way round, rather than having a an extra join.

Any thoughts, e.g.

would it be too flexible?

would the flat steel bar available in lengths from Homebase etc. be OK?

since I can't weld, would bolting the contraption together be OK?

Thanks in advance Rescued attachment Cycle wing stay design.jpg
Rescued attachment Cycle wing stay design.jpg

jonbeedle

posted on 29/10/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine from 3mm flat stock, which is a bit on the thin side really as they wobble a bit. But if you made them or had them made from 6mm flat, they should last and they won't wobble. When they are made from tube the break always occurs at the join between the tube and the flat bit as this is the weakest point.
I must say even though everyone makes fun of my wobbly wing stays, they haven't broken once in 2600 miles
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 30/10/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
My ST wing stays have broken but only where the round tube is welded to the triangular centre.

I put a length of solid rod (a 6" long bolt with the head cut off) inside where the tube had broken and welded them back up. They're solid and so far, touch wood, they've not broken again.

It is a crap design. However bolted stays are no better. MNR bolt thiers and a friends shaked so badly MNR welded them for him

The two joints were the tubes meet the flat areas need better designing. The joints are stress raisers.

I think using tube all the way under the wings would be best. You could crush it and it would be flat but with a smoother transition from round to flat - that would alleviate the stresses at the wing end.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Humbug

posted on 30/10/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
In effect I have done the same as you - jammed threaded rod up the inside of the tube and fixed with Araldite Steel... the ones I have done that to are OK. I think there is one more to go
d8mok

posted on 30/10/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
i had this with mine so i got andy from ab performance to make me some custom ones. They shud be here 2moro so i'll let ya know if there any good.
Humbug

posted on 30/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by d8mok
i had this with mine so i got andy from ab performance to make me some custom ones. They shud be here 2moro so i'll let ya know if there any good.

Yes, please do.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.