Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New sidescreens
Humbug

posted on 14/1/07 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
New sidescreens

My first effort at adding wind deflectors didn't improve things much, I think a) because I have a mini screen and b) I couldn't get the deflectors to stay stuck out far enough.

So, I decided to have a go at making some sidescreens. Thanks for all the various inspirations on this site, including Bob/Skidmark, GeoffT and others.

Anyway, my solution was this:

1. Ali sheet (1.5mm?) bent to provide a bit of an armrest outside the side rail. The top view lines up the long side of the sidescreen with the side of the bonnet (if that makes sense?)

2. Lexan sheet cut to sort of blend in with the line of the mini screen

3. dome head allen nuts + washers and nylocs

4. Tifosi nut covers cut down and fixed with a dab of superglus as they were not very tight.

5. clear silicone sealant for the joint between the windows and the ali

6. tintop door seal to go round the edge of the whole thing (off a Seat Marbella, since you ask)

7. fixing strap from self adhesive velcro stuck to a length of self adhesive rubber, riveted to the ali door. Other half of velcro stuck to the side rail and rivetted for good measure

8. hinged to the scuttle side using the piano hinges I had used for the wind deflectors.

Result: they keep the wind off the arms and face, at the expense of a bit of blustering over the sides towards the back - I was limited in how high I could make them because of the height of the mini-screen. Rescued attachment 2007-01-14 11 ST Sidescreen full on.JPG
Rescued attachment 2007-01-14 11 ST Sidescreen full on.JPG

donut

posted on 14/1/07 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Elbow room!!! Pretty smart!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 14/1/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Nice! Might make something similar quite soon
GeoffT

posted on 14/1/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work Simon - as stated, creating an 'elbow hole' is the real secret to stopping these things cramping your style too much.

zetec

posted on 14/1/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Like the seal around the top, doesn't do much but looks good. well done.
trialsman

posted on 14/1/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I like it. I am just starting to do some for my Locost and i think I'll borrow some of your ideas, Russ in the States

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.