Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sticky stuff
locoboy

posted on 17/9/03 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
sticky stuff

A mate of mine has just built and MK indy With a ZX9 engine in it.
I waw it for the first time on Monday night, and there was something not right about the frint cycle wings, i just couldnt put my finger on it and then..............there are no external bolts hlding them on!

He said Martin K said he can use some of their special bonding stuff to glue them to the support brackets! He also said he can do the rear arches with it too.

When my mate asked what happens if they come off, MK said we will give him some more free of charge.

Anyone else used this stuff, if so what is it called? and have you had any problems?

it seems too good to be true.

Colin

ATB
Locoboy

Simon

posted on 17/9/03 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Colin,

Absolutey no help, but having just made my front arches, the intention is to laminate the bracketry under another couple of layers of f/glass.

ATB

Simon

locoboy

posted on 17/9/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
good idea, you made your arches?, top skills if you have.

col

ATB
Locoboy

Simon

posted on 17/9/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Colin

Arches very simple.

Decided how close I wanted them to be to tyre (1/2" ish). Tyre radius 11.5

Took two pieces of MDF and scribed the shape on, then cut slot into MDF with jigsaw.

Then ally sheet slotted into cuts. The ends needed some bar (used 12mm) to stop them bending out. For the curved sides, I took a piece of 3mm ply and scribed round an aerosol lid, and cut off/sanded that smooth.

In the female buck, I carefully put plaster in the corners and shaped with former.

Greased, gelcoated, matted, demoulded.

Here's a diagram to try and explain better

ATB

Simon Rescued attachment arch female plug.jpg
Rescued attachment arch female plug.jpg

Simon

posted on 17/9/03 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oops

Bit big. Sorry. I a hurry. Going home.

Will try and put up some proper pics soon

ATB

Simon

MK Goldrush

posted on 17/9/03 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Panel Adhesive

Col, the adhesive to which you refer is made my "evo" as in "Evo-stick" as well as a number of other suppliers under various trade names. It is basically a polyurethane adhesive/filler. Guys in the know will be very aware of it's capabilities. The type I have seen is called "Tekflex", I believe there is also one called "Secaflex" prices vary wildly so be careful. There was a stall at Donnington selling it for £7.50 a cartridge. There's a place in Barnsley (where I'm going tomorrow) sells "Evo" for £6 other stuff for £5 per Cartridge. But, I've seen it at £15... it retains elasticity to a degree once set, but requires a pneumatic chisel to remove it! It bonds almost anything to anything.

I'll post the number of the place tomorrow for the rest of you's guys, together with accurate prices.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 17/9/03 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
my web site has a fairly detailed article on making grp up.....congrats to you simon, its not the most wonderful of tasks! I have more coming soon when I do my running boards and front wing sections - about 8ft of grp!

atb

steve

MK Goldrush

posted on 17/9/03 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sticky Stuff

Just found website with info on what you originally wanted...

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue_Texflex_Sealant_131.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 18/9/03 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Polyurethane Adhesive

Isn't the other one called "Sikaflex" or something?

Anyway I got some from Screwfix. They sell it as Rapid Polyurethane Wood Glue. I think it's the same stuff. Very very sticky. If you get it on your skin you'll have to wait until it wears off as it doesn't come off easily. When applied to surfaces it "foams" after a short time and sets within 5 mins.

Screwfix order number 11972 - £5.99 for 310ml cartridge.

Andy

Simon

posted on 18/9/03 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

It's been because of all the useful tips you have on your site that I actually decided to have a go.

As all my shapes are reasonably straightforward, I decided that it would be easier to make "female" bucks, rather than have all the trouble of proper buck, mould then original.

So it's all your fault

Thanks for taking the trouble to write it up.

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 18/9/03 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite the same - the sikaflex stuff (and all the other PU mastics) looks like silicone bath sealant, usually grey or black. Dries to the consistency of hard rubber and sticks like the proverbial to a shovel.

The stuff you're talking about is only a wood glue, albeit a bl**dy strong one!

DJ

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/9/03 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Steve,

It's been because of all the useful tips you have on your site that I actually decided to have a go.

As all my shapes are reasonably straightforward, I decided that it would be easier to make "female" bucks, rather than have all the trouble of proper buck, mould then original.

So it's all your fault

Thanks for taking the trouble to write it up.

ATB

Simon

Nice to know it helped someone - I just bought a book or two, read up on here, and got help from alanB, chrisG and syd bride and others.

I thought id write it cos there didnt seem to be a comprehensive cohesive set of guidelines anywhere.

It was written in some respects to stop people doing what you did! If I could buy the bits i'd hit my credit card and take the pain!

Good on ya for taking the 'did it myself' route.

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 18/9/03 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex is used by coach builders to cover a multitude of sins like panels that drum etc. They just stick a piece of 2x2 timber to the back of the panel with sikaflex. A similar but slightly cheaper alternative is Tiger seal, usually available at body shops.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Stu16v

posted on 18/9/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try here......

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.