Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dzus fasteners
jabbahutt

posted on 19/12/07 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
dzus fasteners

Morning all

Well finally getting there. Decided on Aero catches for the rear of the bonnet and looking at using dzus fasteners for the front as space is more limited.

Anyone used these and particularly interested in what you fit to the car for the fastener to lock into, photos would be great.

Thanks all
Nigel

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/12/07 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
duck tape

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 19/12/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I don't have any pictures, but there are some things to be aware of.
The bit the fastener locks into is an "S" shaped spring which is mounted on the internal panel with a hole so that the outer DZUS passes through the hole and picks up the spring.
This is ok where the panel behind is flat sheet, but where it is box section, you will need to make folded strips of steel formed into a top hat.
This will need 3 holes in the top for the spring ( one in centre for dzus and two either side to pop rivet spring).
Also you will need 2 holes to pop rivet the top hat onto the box section.
Also you will need to make sure that the dzus is the correct length as if it is too long, it will be loose and not lock.
You want it long enough to engage with the spring, but when you turn it, it will pull the spring tightly towards it.
One other word of warning, if you get an overzealous painter who uses lots of filler on your outer panels, then you might end up changing the outer dzus because it does not reach the spring anymore!
Dzus fasteners are not cheap so only buy what you need.

[Edited on 19/12/2007 by nitram38]

jabbahutt

posted on 19/12/07 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for that. It sound a right complex job. Any other types of quater turn fastener that are easier to fit that anyone is aware of?

Thanks again
Nigel

nitram38

posted on 19/12/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I know they sound like hassle, but they are good.
Used on lots of race cars as you can gain access quickly.
One word of advice is to put duct tape over them just in case they turn through vibration.
You can buy cheaper screw fasteners and use rivnuts, but do you really want to be lining up threads etc?

BenB

posted on 19/12/07 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
They're good!!! The only complicated bit is deciding how long a fastener you need... I got it wrong (quite spectacularly) the first time but at least it gave me something to measure so I knew how much shorter I needed....
viatron

posted on 19/12/07 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
demon thieves do some very simple dzus backers, basicallt a u shaped spring clip with the hole in the middle that can slip over a piece of thin plate, they also do several differing lengths of dzus fastener so if you get the placement fractionally wrong you can recover the situation.
HTH

http://www.demontweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=R/P336300190

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
cheers all

Starting to get my head round this whole dzus thing now many thanks to everyone for the info

Nigel

Ricks-9r

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
have you seen this type ? link
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catre f=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=locking+bonnet+pins&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D3&sadis=200&fpos=ME87AL&am p;sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

jabbahutt

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
any chance of a phot as ebay is banned on the work internet?

Cheers

blakep82

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
ok, not a photo, but you weld a square bracket to the chassis.on the back of it there is a spring (the dark grey bit) rivited which the dzus fastener lock into

dzus
dzus

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
locking ones, same similar to your normal bonnet pins, but with a dzus style lock

procomp

posted on 19/12/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi another type of securing latch that is popular these days is this type of slide latch. Picture wont attach but here's a LINK Used in many places where a dzues fastener used to be used. Obviously not able to flush mount but can be another option with some thinking.

Have been using them for the last five years and they are a great bit of kit. No screwdriver required no bits to lose and best of all no more constantly fiddling with dzues fasteners trying to get them to stay together

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 19/12/07 by procomp]

ruskino80

posted on 19/12/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
if you look in my archive at the pic titled

'r1 engine'

you can easily see my dzus brackets for all 4 corners of the bonnet.

they work well and look great but my they can try your patience sometimes!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.