Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to fit Stuart Taylor rear arches
MikeR

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
how to fit Stuart Taylor rear arches

i've just picked up some second hand stuart taylor rear arches and i'm confused.

They come with the rear circular section moulded in. I was expecting this to be a snug fit to the steel (minus the rounded bit ron tells you to weld in).

Tried to hold them up to my car tonight and, well the rounded bit doesn't fit by a country mile. Are you supposed to make slots 1" wide for the tubes to go in?

Does anyone have photos of fitting their arches?

richardlee237

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really hoping you'll get a reply (other than mine)

As I have the same question.

richard

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

nib1980

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
can you post some pics of what you mean? I have ST, and can take some comparison pictures if you need?
twybrow

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I am itching to see/know too. I have searched plenty, but the ST seems a different design to most.

paulf

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got ST rear arches and foundthat they fitted straight onto a book chassis with no arched sections added.The problem I had was that the rear section didnt fit to the rear body work as the arches seemed to have about a 12mm run out from the top to the rear bottom edge which I had to build up with layers of mating.I think I did cut a small amount from the lip by your elbow area to get them to seat against the chassis, the arches now fit against the roll bar mount and onto the top face of the side tube.
Im not sure if there are any photos in my archive that show them.
Paul

Michael

posted on 3/10/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat.

Just finished my rear panel, so was eager to fit the arches (they have been on and off the car as have captive holes in the arched steel next to the seats)

Mine fit flush from front to about a quarter past the half way point then a gap appears. Nearside is worse.

BenB

posted on 3/10/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
can you post some pics of what you mean? I have ST, and can take some comparison pictures if you need?

Ditto. Can't imagine where the problem is from that description. Show us yours and the STM massif can show you ours

Wadders

posted on 3/10/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had to trim them with a grinder to get a half decent fit over the chassis tubes.
You will find over time they crack from the corners of the cut out,, bit of a design flaw really.

Al.

MikeR

posted on 4/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Right, i've got a picture,

This is off the drivers side arch.

ST Rear Arch Problem
ST Rear Arch Problem

Basically the black lines are approximately where the steel in the chassis is. If i want to fit the arch i need to trim the GRP to cut a channel so it can fit over the chassis.

At the moment it looks like this,
how it is now
how it is now

So i think i need to cut it like this,
what i think i need to cut
what i think i need to cut

(its not the complete channel i need to cut as its over 1 inch wide hence as i've done it).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.