Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear shock mount and column loose
jambo

posted on 23/11/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
rear shock mount and column loose

do you just leave the rosejoint of the shock floating on the top bolt.
also having problems with the steering column at the top through the paddle shift,there seems to be far to much wobble to the pulling of the wheel around.
thanks. Rescued attachment column.jpg
Rescued attachment column.jpg

Pdlewis

posted on 23/11/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
for the rear shock you pack out either side with the special packer washers then normal washers till there is no play and the shock is lined up in the correct position. This allows the shock to rotate but not move from side to side

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

RichieW

posted on 23/11/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
For the steering column could you use larger bolts to take up the slack for side to side movement? Otherwise I would try using spring washers to get a bit more clamping pressure for the nuts and bolts which may stop the movement.
Chippy

posted on 23/11/08 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Your photo is not very clear, would be much better taken further away so that you could see the complete install, BUT, looking at what there is to see, there doesn't seem to be a bottom bearing to support the end on the shaft, or is there??? Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Agriv8

posted on 24/11/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Jambo,

Is the spring in the photo should be under presure?

This presure is supplied by the bottom steering colunm bush and the triangle spring washer thig-a-ma-jig.

If the steering shaft is too far down it wount be pushed into the top bush on the column ( on a tapper iirc ) .

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

jambo

posted on 24/11/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
the shafts position is decided by the top of the shaft fitting tight on the top bearing at the paddle shift tube.
i am wondering if its because my column is of the adjustable ones.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 25/11/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
You are missing the main ally bearing block, short length of steel tube (cut off from the original mounting in the Sierra) that the bearing mounts in, and the bearing itself.

You will also need the nylon lower bearing and rubber mount if you do not have them already.

Sorry, I dont have any pics but could try and do one for you tonight if you wish.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

jambo

posted on 25/11/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
picture would be great.
i have fitted the nylon bush lower down in its mount.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 26/11/08 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Here you go. This is the same set up as yours. The flappy paddle mounting flange butts up against the ally bearing block which buts up against the chassis mounting plates. There is a short piece of steel tube (cut down from the original sierra tube) in which the bearing mounts.

[img][/img]

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

jambo

posted on 26/11/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the picture.
this confirms the adjustable rack is different.
i dont have the alli block, and the welded washer that holds the spring on the column on mine is about 50mm further down the column i think i can file out the mnr paddle tube to take the top part of the bearing in my picture and reweld the washer to the column further up holding the spring under pressure.

jambo

posted on 26/11/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the picture.
this confirms the adjustable rack is different.
i dont have the alli block, and the welded washer that holds the spring on the column on mine is about 50mm further down the column i think i can file out the mnr paddle tube to take the top part of the bearing in my picture and reweld the washer to the column further up holding the spring under pressure.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.