Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD/CAM model or susp coordinates?
ffrgtm

posted on 4/3/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
CAD/CAM model or susp coordinates?

Has anyone ever made a 3d model of the chassis (solidsworks or similar)? Also, has anyone ever measured the suspension coordinates for use in a geometry program?

I would assume MNR would never give this info out.

Just want to check that it has never been done before I go through all the trouble of doing it... I'll be happy to share my results here unless it's some kind of breach with MNR (I will ask them first... but I still don't even have the chassis yet).

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/3/11 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
There are a few CadCam models of chassis available online if you search/ask about them...

Even though it goes against what they'd actually WANT to do willingly, I guess it would be in their interest to share their chassis Dims, because if you went to the effort of measuring it, I guess that "you" would want to get it to as many people as possible if you went to that sort of trouble!!

It's not exactly a secret mind, as I've seen people running a tape measure over the MNR chcassis at more than one KitCar show! (same as MK and Aeries ALSO!!!)

As for making a genuine 3D Model of the Chassis, it's been started by Several people but never continued because people either run out of impotus with the chassis or run out of inspiration with kitcars as "modelling" the chassis is pretty pointless...

[Edited on 5/3/11 by Steve Hignett]

ffrgtm

posted on 5/3/11 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, I have sent mnr a request just to see what they say. I was denied the information by the maker of my previous kit car (factory five racing gtm) and was lucky enough to have a community member do all the work and make the model available.

Why do you say that modelling the chassis is pointless?

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/3/11 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ffrgtm
Why do you say that modelling the chassis is pointless?

Do you intend to modify the chassis?

ffrgtm

posted on 5/3/11 at 02:16 AM Reply With Quote
Oh no I mostly just want to model the suspension to run in carsim. I like playing with shock valving ever since my difeq class.
ffrgtm

posted on 15/3/11 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Well one of my issues is I can't get my tire compound in the sizes used by mnr and I want to understand what a diameter change will do to the geometry. I also plan on making the move to bias ply slicks and I'm sure the car is set up for radial slip angles.

I did ask mnr and they told me that there was no cad model. Looks like I'll be doing my best to make my own model, could be a useful experience to reverse engineer a chassis.

ffrgtm

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've recently been given an opportunity to digitize the vortx chassis with a $140,000 faro laser scanner. I'll be analyzing the suspension geometry, chassis rigidity (and testing improvements), and doing lap simulations with a multibody physics package (adams/car and patran).

I've asked MNR what they are comfortable with me sharing... obviously I'll be sharing all the results of my analysis, but I'll abide by MNR's decision regarding sharing my actual model files.

Pretty amazing piece of kit.... it has an accuracy of 0.002" within a 400ft range!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.