Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone raced in 'Magnificent Sevens' series?
StevieB

posted on 23/10/11 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone raced in 'Magnificent Sevens' series?

Morning all!

As per the title really, has anyone ever raced in the Classic Sportscar Club Magnificent Sevens race series?

I'm getting my annual urge to go racing and am in the process of looking at the various race series that are around. I've decided I should have a go at a scratch build this time around and am probably best building something fairly stock (in line with the Ron Champion book). That way I get the satisfaction of building but am still walking a well trodden path if I have any issues along the way.

I've looked at the 750mc Locost series plenty times, which I think is still top of my list. My only real issue is that I like a bit of BEC action and I might miss it (maybe there should be a Locost series for BEC's - say running early CBR1000F engine or something to stick to the ethos of 'cheap' motorsport but still have the high rev thrills)

RGB is also something I like the look of, and I do like a BEC, but it looks a bit expensive to put together a competetive car. Doesn't look like it would suit a BEC locost too well, but I might be wrong.

750mc Kit Car championship just isn't really for me I don't think - same comments as RGB but without the BEC bit that I like.

The only series I've heard little about is the Magnificent Sevens - they have a BEC class and allow any type of se7en to enter. Just wondered if anyone had entered or knows more about what the series is like.

As an aside, I've looked at things like the Caterham Academy and the Westfield equivalent but they're a bit expensive for my tastes.

f750sgr

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
How about this for an idea;
Build whatever you feel like and enter the 750MC Allcomers races. As the name suggests you race anything against anything. I've done this a few times with my Locost as it gets you extra track time at race meetings and you get to try out new set-ups without worrying about where you finish because we don't stand a chance against a lot of the machinery entered.

The CSCC magnificent sevens is a lot like an allcomers, but you do get 40 minutes on track (45-50 laps of Brands Hatch!).

Something to ponder on a lovely Sunday morning

One other thing you may like to consider. As you're of the Northern persuasion, the CSCC will take you to Croft, whereas the 750MC won't. Could swing it.

Sean

[Edited on 23/10/11 by f750sgr]

[Edited on 23/10/11 by f750sgr]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Building a race car from scratch is probably the most expensive way to start racing. If I was you, I would look at what race series you would like to race in and buy a secondhand car that comes up for sale at the end of the year i.e. now.

Over the winter you can strip it, rebuild back up again and go racing in the knowledge that you have a competitive car. After that its up to you and how well you can progress as a driver - thats the hard bit

Personally, I would not start with a locost as the base of a race car unless you are going into a locost based series. It is unlikely to be competitive in any other series unless you drastically modify it from standard.

If you like RGB, I know of several cars that will/are available at prices that will be much lower than a scratch build.

All the best in whatever you decide to do

- Paul

StevieB

posted on 23/10/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Reason for building a car rather than buying is that it stretches the budget over time a bit rather than having to save up and outlay a load of money at once (saving not my strong point ). I might be tempted to buy a base kit from a manufacturer rather than build a chassis from scratch though, especially if discounting a locost design.

One I forgot to look at was the Northern Saloons and Sports Car series - mostly run at Croft which is my closest circuit I think. I suppose over the course of a season, the cost of fuel for transportation (and the additional wear and tear on the tin top in doing all that towing) would soon add up, so that becomnes quite attractive.

eddie99

posted on 23/10/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Im building a car at the moment for Mag sevens next year I'll U2U you later...
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Steve Hignett

posted on 23/10/11 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
Building a race car from scratch is probably the most expensive way to start racing. If I was you, I would look at what race series you would like to race in and buy a secondhand car that comes up for sale at the end of the year i.e. now.

If you like RGB, I know of several cars that will/are available at prices that will be much lower than a scratch build.
- Paul

I know you say that you want to stretch your budget, but I would seriously consider doing a bit of speeadsheet work as a project first. When you weigh up the costs of buying a 2nd hand competitive car compared to starting from scratch you may well change your mind

Also, and I realise that this isn't what you are adoing it for, but if you got the money together (borrowed/saved/loan etc) and bought a race car 2nd hand, then if you do a couple seasons, you can sell it knowing that it is worth a certain amount (prob close to what you paid) and then still build a car in future, when you've got the experience of being on track and experience the variety of classes etc...

Andy D

posted on 23/10/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

One I forgot to look at was the Northern Saloons and Sports Car series - mostly run at Croft which is my closest circuit I think. I suppose over the course of a season, the cost of fuel for transportation (and the additional wear and tear on the tin top in doing all that towing) would soon add up, so that becomnes quite attractive.

You can race pretty much anything in the NSSCC, however last year there were I think, only three BECs, and I'm pretty sure two of them wont be out next year.

One is for sale HERE ... it's a nice car but I suspect more than you're wanting to pay.

If you want cheap racing, a class D tin top is in my opinion, the way to go.

StevieB

posted on 23/10/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah Andy, I looked at the 2011 results and there were only 2 regular BEC's with 3 other cars turning up on occassion. However, the only way the class grid size will improve is if more people like me turn up to race I suppose. Plus, if there's only 2 regular BEC cars then I could score an easy 3rd in class

I guess that car would be about on my budget if I saved up the cash - my R1 Indy cost me about £8k to get on the road so I would expect to spend about that again. Anything I would save by not doing SVA and fitting bits needed for the road would roughly balance out the race prep costs.

MK9R

posted on 23/10/11 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Yeah Andy, I looked at the 2011 results and there were only 2 regular BEC's with 3 other cars turning up on occassion. However, the only way the class grid size will improve is if more people like me turn up to race I suppose. Plus, if there's only 2 regular BEC cars then I could score an easy 3rd in class

I guess that car would be about on my budget if I saved up the cash - my R1 Indy cost me about £8k to get on the road so I would expect to spend about that again. Anything I would save by not doing SVA and fitting bits needed for the road would roughly balance out the race prep costs.

£8k will get you a compeative RGB car, it would cost or 2 or 3 times that to build a competative race car.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
danny keenan

posted on 23/10/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
hi steve

have you had a look at the NW Sports Sloons.i race in it.there is a good mix of cars there are arond 7-8 BEC's and in total around 15 7 type cars.

iv got a second hand Indy-r up for sale at the moment.its got a hayabusa engine in it.there are things that would need doing to get it race ready but its a good starting poit.

if you are intersted send me a u2u

thanks danny

R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/10/11 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Raced in the 2008 Caterham Academy and had a great time. You're right, it's not cheap and has gone up considerably in last couple of years but on the plus side, the re sale value is excellent so really wasn't as costly as I'd expected.

Nearly 3 years since I sold it and the bug is back, time for a new project. Having had 2 Raw Strikers prior to the Caterham, they are a firm favourite of mine. So it looks like a new kit will be ordered in the new year, time to decide on the spec now!

progers

posted on 24/10/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
If you are considering a BEC striker, have a word with Andy Bates as he knows what you need to specify to get a chassis that works (deviates from the standard car chassis). He was their agent for the BEC side of the business for a few years and ran successful RGB cars. The new owners seem pretty clueless when it comes to BECs

Regards

Paul

TimC

posted on 24/10/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
By my reckoning, a new Class F RGB car with a chance of performing well will likely cost c.£15k+. I can send you my spreadsheet if you are interested. The most cost-effective entry I've heard about is actually the MNR - although its real potential will only become apparent when the two excellent 'rookies' currently racing them get more experience. The really nice Class R cars probably start at about £20-22k.

I bought/fettled a mid-pack Locost for c.£4k although I perhaps got a bit lucky - it would've needed another £2k spending to get a front-running car (and about the same again in driver training ) - it really needed an engine rebuild and new dampers as a minimum.

As stated above, RGB cars with a modern 1000cc motor probably start at about £7500; less if you are prepared to do an engine swap - although a couple of the cheaper cars have already been snapped-up.

Andy D

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just been looking at the CSCC Magnificent sevens results at Snetterton HERE .. it looks like a magnificent Caterham race! .. all Cats and one Striker.
StevieB

posted on 24/10/11 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I did worry the magnificent sevens might be a bit too caterham-ish. Suppose it's a good place to run an ex academy car though.

The more I think about it the more the NSSCC series makes sense.

What I really need to do is sort a new build shed out and get cracking with something

Andy D

posted on 24/10/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I did worry the magnificent sevens might be a bit too caterham-ish. Suppose it's a good place to run an ex academy car though.

The more I think about it the more the NSSCC series makes sense.

What I really need to do is sort a new build shed out and get cracking with something

This year's NSSCC champion is from York, Mike Cutt BMW M3? .. Agree with others though, buying a race ready car is the cheapest way in.

procomp

posted on 24/10/11 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

For sure a book locost chassis won't be competitive in the Mag sevens. You need a fine handling car and a min off 200Bhp. But will a STD book chassis handle 200 Bhp No. Again if you look at other championships where Westfields and Caterhams are already running you'll find the same problems. Unless you are intending to build a complete one off with all the extra added bits it will be a bit disappointing in comparison.

However you say Locost was top off your list. Well that is the one place where a home built book chassis will be competitive. Having helped many who have taken this route it will fulfill all your criteria except being high revving BEC as the crossflows only rev to 7500. However if you look at the championship it is still the top championship in the Uk for close competitive racing at all levels within the championship And is one off the championships where you will learn the art off race driving and carrying speed as in karting. Also has to be one off the cheapest formulas to run is as the costs per round are 1/2 the cost off other 750 championships due to the large grid sizes we get heat and final races compared to say Kits and RGB who are on smaller grid sizes IE 1/2 price. Whilst on the subjects of cost it's worth pointing out that a brands new ready to race AND win car can be built for 8.5K even when using our Procomp chassis kit which is regarded as being a bit dearer than some others so a home build chassis will come in at say 6-7K.

The other thing with the locost champ is that there is all the advice you could possibly need FOC, every mod needed for the chassis to be a front runner and everything from driver training and setup help is all FOC at the circuit from myself ( there are those who will try and charge you ) Also there's resale value, with the championship cars in demand the price off the good cars holds up very well IE Scott mittell's Procomp LA cost 8.5 K to build he's won the 2010 and 2011 championships and just sold the car for 7.5K
Lap times are on par with the more powerful Caterham Academy cars due to the fact that we can play with dampers springs ARB's and general setup unlike the Caterhams.

Anyhow that's my rambling come to an end. If your interested we are doing a few test days in a month or so, Give me a shout and we can get you out in a car for an experience etc.

Cheers Matt

TimC

posted on 24/10/11 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
In support of the above, I can't tell you how much help Matt was to me. It has to be said, Locosts are amazing fun too!

steveiow

posted on 24/10/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just to support what Matt has said.

As a newbie to racing, I entered Locosts last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. An absolutely outstanding bunch of boys (and girls) and competitive racing right from the back to the front of the grid. Procomp have been fully supportive and we have fettled with our car (luego chassis) to make improvements, and I have learned a massive amount in a small space of time with copious amounts of help and support from everyone else in the paddock.

Anyone who overlooks the Locost series is passing up a real opportunity to have the most cost effective close racing you can have in the uk.

I am completely hooked - I would suggest yoiu take Matt up on his offer to have a go, and you will be too.

2012 Locost Race Car #12 - for everything Locost Racing: www.SEWC.co.uk

Andy D

posted on 24/10/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with all thats been said re Locosts, .... but, the big problem for anyone in the North of England is the travelling. Every single round would incur big fuel bills and additional overnight expenses.

NSSCC is mainly Croft based with a few away rounds at Cadwell, Oulton, Knockhill etc.

steveiow

posted on 24/10/11 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I was in the North of England. You should try it from the Isle of Wight and having an hour ferry journey and the expense that entails before you even get onto the big Island.

Andy D

posted on 24/10/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steveiow
I wish I was in the North of England. You should try it from the Isle of Wight and having an hour ferry journey and the expense that entails before you even get onto the big Island.

Once you get off the ferry, the mainland is your playground! I remember talking to you at Cadwell, March 09, you'd just bought the Locost, and had a moment or two in Hall bends??

steveiow

posted on 24/10/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, thats right - span it first lap first session on that track day, and the wifey in the passenger seat was not amused! I think there is even a video of it on my youtube channel. What a small world!

StevieB

posted on 24/10/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

For sure a book locost chassis won't be competitive in the Mag sevens. You need a fine handling car and a min off 200Bhp. But will a STD book chassis handle 200 Bhp No. Again if you look at other championships where Westfields and Caterhams are already running you'll find the same problems. Unless you are intending to build a complete one off with all the extra added bits it will be a bit disappointing in comparison.

However you say Locost was top off your list. Well that is the one place where a home built book chassis will be competitive. Having helped many who have taken this route it will fulfill all your criteria except being high revving BEC as the crossflows only rev to 7500. However if you look at the championship it is still the top championship in the Uk for close competitive racing at all levels within the championship And is one off the championships where you will learn the art off race driving and carrying speed as in karting. Also has to be one off the cheapest formulas to run is as the costs per round are 1/2 the cost off other 750 championships due to the large grid sizes we get heat and final races compared to say Kits and RGB who are on smaller grid sizes IE 1/2 price. Whilst on the subjects of cost it's worth pointing out that a brands new ready to race AND win car can be built for 8.5K even when using our Procomp chassis kit which is regarded as being a bit dearer than some others so a home build chassis will come in at say 6-7K.

The other thing with the locost champ is that there is all the advice you could possibly need FOC, every mod needed for the chassis to be a front runner and everything from driver training and setup help is all FOC at the circuit from myself ( there are those who will try and charge you ) Also there's resale value, with the championship cars in demand the price off the good cars holds up very well IE Scott mittell's Procomp LA cost 8.5 K to build he's won the 2010 and 2011 championships and just sold the car for 7.5K
Lap times are on par with the more powerful Caterham Academy cars due to the fact that we can play with dampers springs ARB's and general setup unlike the Caterhams.

Anyhow that's my rambling come to an end. If your interested we are doing a few test days in a month or so, Give me a shout and we can get you out in a car for an experience etc.

Cheers Matt

I have had a look around a locost race car before and was quite impressed, as I always am when looking around race prep'd cars over standard road cars.

I sold a few bits I knocking around in the garage who had one locost car he was running afor a young lad from the local kart club and was building another for himself (I think his name was Trevor from memory). I spent ages with him in the garage looking over the entire car and listening to what he had to say about it.

One thing he did tell me that's always stuck with me is that it's better to have memories of the things you've done than to have dreams of the things you didn't. Quite profound, even if he did get it from a Christmas cracker or fortune cookie for all I know - but that's why he was building himself a car and also why I reckon I should give it a go myself.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.