Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake line T attachment - must it penetrate all the way through?
ElmrPhD

posted on 12/10/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Brake line T attachment - must it penetrate all the way through?

I read somewhere that someone failed IVA because they attached the brake t to the chassis tube with merely a rivnut or something. The official problem was that all attachments to brake parts must have a locking mechanism. This victim said that he was instructed to drill all the way through both walls of the chassis tube in order to be able to fit a locking nut (or safety wire or something) on the attachment bolt.
Anybody know of a clever way to make the IVA happy without piercing both walls of that chassis tube??? I plan to beat the poo out of this car and would hate to see the chassis crack because some official thought it was safer to damage the tube with a through-bolt.
Thanks for any good ideas!
Steve, in the NLs

me!

posted on 12/10/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Weld a tab on the chassis and bolt it to that?
mikeb

posted on 12/10/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've read the same thing for IVA.

I've got one rivnutted that I'll need to drill through, its only a 6mm hole in the 25mm tube so should be ok

loggyboy

posted on 12/10/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I plan on using threadlock and torque seal paint on mine which are rivnutted:

Mistral Motorsport

ElmrPhD

posted on 12/10/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Loggyboy,

I think the victim/complainer was saying that "I put Loctite on it!" was not sufficient for the IVA dude.

Thanks for the pic though!

SteveE, in the NLs

adithorp

posted on 12/10/12 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
mine are on rivnuts but I went through SVA. Don't recall seeing any failures for this.

You could use a rivnut, screw a stud into the rivnut then secure the T with a nylock nut. Would look like a stud welded to the chassis.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 12/10/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElmrPhD
Hi Loggyboy,

I think the victim/complainer was saying that "I put Loctite on it!" was not sufficient for the IVA dude.

Thanks for the pic though!

SteveE, in the NLs

But I will be taking photos of me loc'ing them and adding the torque paint

Mistral Motorsport

Bluemoon

posted on 12/10/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Used "proper" break-clips rather than P clips as used on a production car?? This is what I did dor the SVA.
theprisioner

posted on 12/10/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Special brake union stud

After reading this thread I was horrified about the thought of drilling the 1" tube all the way through. I am not keen on a welded tab either as my chassis has just been painted with special paint.

However you provoked me into thinking about a solution.

Brake union stud
Brake union stud

Take an M6 set screw, chop off the head and make a stud. Turn down the end of the stud to M3. Rivnut an M6 into the chassis rail. Drill thru the rivnut to the bottom rail at M3. Screw the stud into the rivnut untill it protrudes and becomes tight. Rivit the other side with a hammer.

Comments please?

avagolen

posted on 12/10/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I have done. Not IVA'd yet, but I hope it will be OK.

I made a tabwasher that interlocks with the chassis and has a raised tab with a hole
in for the locking wire to be wrapped to.

The hole in the washer is large enough to sit 'around' the head of the rivnut so it all sits flush.

Rear_Brake_t_locking
Rear_Brake_t_locking

HTH

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

theprisioner

posted on 12/10/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
agent provocateur:

I guess if I was an IVA man and had any experiance with rivnuts I would suggest they can be pulled out. Have you ever buggerd one? They are realy easy to get out all you have to do is punch one into the frame. I usually grind a bit off the head first to minimise the damage to the tube. Alternatively they can come loose and unwind themselves from the bolt. With that clever plate under the union I guess the rivnut could still unwind due to vibration. I dfon't know what the answer is but I am watching this thread like a starving hawk.
avagolen

posted on 12/10/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Just to try and stop the movement of the rivnuts, I use a permanent threadlock.

Yes I have drilled them out, but only in ally so far.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

matt_gsxr

posted on 12/10/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
My experience is as Adi, rivnut not a problem.
Maybe contact the station where you are going to have yours tested in advance, they are very helpful in real life.

theprisioner

posted on 16/10/12 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Chester and Sylva solutions

Sylva

Sylva demo brakes
Sylva demo brakes

Chester

Chester Sports car brakes

Bluemoon

posted on 16/10/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Sylva

Sylva demo brakes
Sylva demo brakes

Chester

Nice solution, but what a load of rubbish, surely if that works then you reliant on the rivets, they don't go all the way through... Can't remember how production cars fix there T's quite sure the is no locking mechanism, just a bolt?

[Edited on 16/10/12 by Bluemoon]

loggyboy

posted on 16/10/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Theres no acctuall stipulation about it penetrating. the wording is simply -
A hydraulic and vacuum component must be of adequate strength so as not to be likely to fail prematurely.

A hydraulic and vacuum component must be made of a material sufficiently durable so that it is unlikely to fail prematurely.

A hydraulic and vacuum component mounting/bracket must be secure to the vehicle structure or other components

A hydraulic and vacuum component mounting/bracket must be of adequate strength so as not to be likely to fail prematurely.

A hydraulic and vacuum component mounting/bracket securing method must be of adequate strength and unlikely to fail prematurely.

So as rivets are generally considered adequate for securing brake lines, theres no reason a Rivnut should not be considered adequate, the method of fixing is identical, even in the unlikely event of of the rivnut becoming loose, as long as the bolt is securely in the rivnut, it couldnt spin as bolt would be holding it in place. (As long as it came loose 'after' it was made tight!)

However its all down to opinion, so its just down to what the inspectors oen opinion of 'adequate' is. As mentioned above, a quick call to your choosen centre should resolve it.

[Edited on 16-10-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

stevegough

posted on 19/10/12 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, whatever you 'read somewhere' is misinformed / incorrect or you simply remembered it wrong. My 2 tees are simply bolted into rivnuts, and mine was IVAd early last year. (Some inventive ideas in this thread, all the same!).

Bottom line is ALWAYS - read the relevant parts of the IVA manual.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

mcerd1

posted on 19/10/12 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Sylva demo brakes
Sylva demo brakes

that's pretty much what I was going to sugggest (although maybe only 2 rivets) that or a bit of angle rivited to the side of the tube (i.e. the T would be offset from the ctr of the chassis rail)

you could even add a blob of PU between the braket and the chassis to be extra safe - if its good enough to hold the floor on alot of these cars then 1 brake union should be no problem

I don't like the idea of drilling right through the rail either, but for a small hole it should be ok depending on how the tube is loaded (even better if its got a welded in sleve to stop the tube getting chrushed)

-

loggyboy

posted on 19/10/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Sorry, whatever you 'read somewhere' is misinformed / incorrect or you simply remembered it wrong. My 2 tees are simply bolted into rivnuts, and mine was IVAd early last year. (Some inventive ideas in this thread, all the same!).

Bottom line is ALWAYS - read the relevant parts of the IVA manual.

Whilst that is good advice, on the reading part. Sadly every examiners opinion will difer slightly, its all down to interpretation. No where does it state that Rivnuts are acceptable, nor does it say that they are not! lol

Mistral Motorsport

ashg

posted on 19/10/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
mine had t's bolted on using riv nuts for iva. they failed it and made me bolt right through. luckily it was on one of my 19mm braces rather than a main chassis tube.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.