Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear suspension
Johneturbo

posted on 22/11/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
rear suspension

hey ho,
I've been trying to work out the rear suspension, as it's changed a little from the manual!
the rear top wishbone isn't offset, but the buttom one is, the only thing is the rear upright isn't the same way around as i've seen elsewhere. ie the curved part is facing forward. don't know it that makes any difference
here's a pic Rescued attachment rear.jpg
Rescued attachment rear.jpg

GeorgeM

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
rear uprights

you have u2u
Agriv8

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
The angled side Should face the rear of the car. IIRC

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

worX

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I know they aren't the same car, as Tim's is the RT+, and the lower wishbone IS handed like the top 'bone. But this is how I did it - and I did put the slanted face of the upright toward the rear, as I don't think the top bone would fit in otherwise!

ETA - Oh, you might want to turn the damper round so the adjustment knob is on the inside, that way you can adjust the settings with the wheels on the car...

Steve

[Edited on 22/11/07 by worX]

coozer

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno if this helps, I had the same opposite offset question when I looked at the build manual.

This picture is looking forward, the camera was resting on the fuel tank.... Rescued attachment P7040004.JPG
Rescued attachment P7040004.JPG

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Johneturbo

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the u2 george.

i've tried it everyway posible but it will only fit the way i have it. the otherway the top doesn't sit inside by only a 1cm if that.
thanks for the pic worX, when you say handed do you mean sided, the top on mine is symetrical, but the buttom isn't.

[Edited on 22/11/07 by Johneturbo]

Johneturbo

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
yep coozer yours is the right way, as the manual
Johneturbo

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
used you pic coozer as its so good!
i've marked where the top wishbone hits if i have it the otherway around. like i said its not much but enough the stop it fitting.

coozer

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I tried mine all ways and tis was the only way it would go to get everything lined up... I was paying attention to where the brake cylinder went.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

GeorgeM

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
uprights

Hi,
thats the problem I had, I think you'll find it's the upright at fault, as I said, speak to mark.
George

marc n

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
yep can confirm we have a couple of rogue sets of uprights out there, on the new cars the seatbelt rear panel is slightly further back to allow the seat to move back an extra 15mm for taller people, this means a slightly different offset on top wishbone which in turn causes a different shock location, we have unfortunately sent out 8 kits with old style uprights with the new style chassis, we have identified by chassis no most but a couple have slipped through the net ( as they where on or just before the official switchover date )
we are powder coating the next batch of uprights tomorrow so should be with people onwednesday next week

appologies

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
also forgot to add
the caliper does now sit at the front of the upright ( new chassis only ) to allow the handbrake cable a more gentle sweep round to its location point above the diff
i am currently building two turnkey cars as we speak so i have taken pics etc so we can provide an update, everything else is per manual if in any doubt just send me an email

cheers

marc

[Edited on 22/11/07 by marc n]

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GeorgeM

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Marc,

as always from MNR, when there is a problem,
you sort it!
thanks

GeorgeM

Johneturbo

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know i'm not going mad then!
pics would be good Marc

Davey D

posted on 2/12/07 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
i have just come across this problem too

the top bones are symetrical. i.e they are the same no matter which side, or which way round you put them. as it is the rose joint sits in the centre of the hole ive cut.

The bottom bones are not handed, but not symetrical. if i fit it one way it sits central in the hole. if it sit it the other way it sits forward of the hole. i presume it wants to be central.

When it comes to fitting the upright it sits like this:

this is with the upright having the slant cutont towards the rear. can anyone offer any ideas? im going to mail this to MNR, and see if ive done something wrong, or if i have the wrong part

[Edited on 2/12/07 by Davey D]

Johneturbo

posted on 2/12/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Davey, same problem i had.
you've got the old uprights, so you'll need to new replacements ones.

i've found a new problem thou, my top bones even thou they are symmetrical, one has an offset, even if i swap them around in the chassis. ie oneside sits dead central in the new uprights, and the other is slightly offset, but even if i swap the tops around i still get the same result.
are both your top bones sat dead central?
cheers
john

[Edited on 2/12/07 by Johneturbo]

GeorgeM

posted on 2/12/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

fitted my new uprights today.
they are much better. The shocker fits
in front of the upper wishbone, and the
callipers on the front.

George

Johneturbo

posted on 3/12/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ok my problem was me! i assumed the top bones are symectrical, they are very slighty offset, when you stand them up back to back, it's plain as day! thanks to Marc for the tip
gr8ging

posted on 3/12/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Been reading this thread with interest as I am also a little confused by the similarities of the wishbones.

Joneturbo, now you have sorted yours, don't suppose you can enlighten us to the slight difference in the two bones and which one goes where?

Thanks
Steve

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

Johneturbo

posted on 4/12/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well the only way i could tell what went where was trial and error.
with the top bones, if it sits in the middle of the upright it's correct, if it sits a bit forward then just turn it over. my problem was i just swapped them around rather than turn them over.
hope that kinda helps

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.