Board logo

Mac#1 ZX10R Worx - My first ever build
jonabonospen - 3/10/12 at 02:48 PM

Thought I best come say hello in this part of the forum as I am now a Mac#1 owner....... well sort of...... I have placed my order and now just waiting for the chassis to be fabricated and then I should hopefully be taking delivery of the first few modules mid December.

I have chosen a black chassis, full roll cage all in 38mm tube, green main body, and black arches front and back. It isn't planned that it will stay like that as I want some decals / design laid on to it to finish it off, but it will make a good base for colours.

I really can't wait to get started Already been scouring the t'internet for donor parts like the Freelander diff, sierra uprights and hubs etc. Also been having a real good look at some bikes too as I am considering buying a bike to break myself for the engine, rad, clocks, loom, and Power Commander...... and I love looking at bikes as thats what I have come off in order to start a kit car project.

Anyway that's all for now. Will keep this thread up to date as my build / project progresses

AllWeatherDan - 3/10/12 at 02:55 PM

Hi jonabonospen,

There is a RHOCAR meet at the RED LION INN Todwick, S26 1DJ tonight 19:30 ish there is a lad who comes in a MAC1 every so often.
As your not far it may be woth a trip.

Usually has a few different types there TIGER/MAC1/ROBINHOOD/GBS etc

I will be there Black Tiger Cat E1.

Dan

jonabonospen - 3/10/12 at 02:58 PM

Thanks for that Dan. Unfortunately though tonight I am tied up with other bits and pieces and wont be able to make it. Is it once a month, every week, 1st Wednesday of the month, what?

AllWeatherDan - 3/10/12 at 03:29 PM

First Wed of every month but I think a few winter months are missed.

It was always at FOX HOUSE Hathersage Rd, Longshaw, Sheffield, S11 7TY which was really nice.
But it looks like it has now moved as its closer to the Motorway.

Dan

mac1ZR - 3/10/12 at 05:48 PM

Good choice of kit, you will have no problems with the help of Mark and Collin. A couple of things---- think you might be better buying new uprights from Mac1, and your engine,loom, and clocks from Malc at Yorkshire Engines.

ash_hammond - 3/10/12 at 07:08 PM

Welcome to the club you wont regret it.

Make sure you join M1MOC - will send details via u2u.

Cheers

Ash

jonabonospen - 3/10/12 at 07:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mac1ZR
Good choice of kit, you will have no problems with the help of Mark and Collin. A couple of things---- think you might be better buying new uprights from Mac1, and your engine,loom, and clocks from Malc at Yorkshire Engines.

I was seriously thinking about the brand new uprights but thought if I can get some dead cheap on fleabay then I will stick them on for now and then once the build is complete and on the road I can always swap them out then.

For the engine I have got a price from Malc but am also looking at buying a complete bike and breaking it myself to leave me with an engine, rad, loom, clocks, and power commander hopefully.

rdodger - 3/10/12 at 08:17 PM

Do Mac#1 make replacement sierra uprights? Any more details/pics?

MK9R - 3/10/12 at 10:11 PM

I know of a virtually brand new recon freelander diff with quaife LSD fitted if you are intrested. Its a guy on here I know.

jonabonospen - 7/10/12 at 11:18 PM

So its been a week since I ordered the car. What have I done? Well I got the garage floor painted

And then I bought some Sierra uprights from Fleabay.

Then I started thinking about engines, prices, and availability. Got a guide price from Malc at Yorkshire Engines but then wondered if I could perhaps buy a bike with a good engine in it and break it myself. So I then bought this little beauty:

Its a 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R race bike with a dyno proven 172 bhp at the rear wheel which means its had some tasty work done on it

So that was Friday when I got it. By Saturday evening, after 5 hours of work, it was looking like this:

The bike was laden with upgraded items and also came with a mountain of spares too. All of which are going to be listed for sale very shortly, so if anyone on here wants any ZX10R parts then just send me a message as I probably have whatever it is you are after.

mac1ZR - 8/10/12 at 07:15 AM

Well done, the bike looks almost too good to take apart

franky - 8/10/12 at 08:04 AM

Well done, its the best way to do it instead of buying an overpriced engine.

jonabonospen - 19/10/12 at 11:30 PM

Just set up a blog site for the the build, and also a general one about me and my bike / car history if anyone is interested in going and having a look.

I decided I would blog the progress on there rather than do it all on a thread on here. Will be on here asking questions though still

Here's the link for my kit car build blog:

http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

And here is the link to my personal blog where you can then access my different pages:

http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

jonabonospen - 12/11/12 at 09:16 PM

Well plans have changed a little this week. Looks like we are now going turbo

Picked up this little beauty at the weekend. Its a 2006 ZX10R fitted with uprated internals capable of managing 450 bhp, and then fitted with a little turbo, currently capable of up to 350 bhp supposedly.

The current turbo, manifold, and exhaust are going to be coming off and getting replaced with something specific for the car I think. First off I need to strip the bike down and get the engine out

maccmike - 12/11/12 at 10:01 PM

give me some money mate, youve obviously got far too much

jonabonospen - 27/11/12 at 09:00 PM

Got the first sight of MY actual car this last weekend. There is still more work needed on the chassis to get it finished off, but here she is for now:

maccmike - 27/11/12 at 09:15 PM

stainless?

jonabonospen - 27/11/12 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
stainless?

No it's just bare steel. Will be powder coated black

PAUL FISHER - 27/11/12 at 10:43 PM

Looks a nice project, you will love it when its finished. Here's a video of my old Indy zx10r turbo after Sean "INDY BIRD" on here had sorted it out and got it running well and worked his magic on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqV3ipH-1X0

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

bi22le - 27/11/12 at 11:34 PM

That two really smart looking bikes you have stripped now. Your lucky we all prefer 4 wheels. I dare show this post to some of my mates. They would go mental!!

Good luck with the build.

jonabonospen - 27/11/12 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
That two really smart looking bikes you have stripped now. Your lucky we all prefer 4 wheels. I dare show this post to some of my mates. They would go mental!!

Good luck with the build.

I totally understand what you mean. I am a biker myself. A means to an end though, and all that.

turbo911 - 28/11/12 at 10:01 PM

All the best with your car you won't be disappointed, ive had two, still got one, mark and coll are sound people to deal with ive just bought a atom with a veiw to selling my mac1 just can't bring myself to sell it at the moment it gets loadsa stick on track days and never misses a beat and it holds its own on any track !!!! bloody good car and bloody good guys at the factory !!!!!!!! not sure about turboing it tho !!!!! ouch !!!!!

jonabonospen - 28/11/12 at 10:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by turbo911not sure about turboing it tho !!!!! ouch !!!!!

Why not?

turbo911 - 29/11/12 at 07:06 AM

IMO, the zx10 motor on a NA basis is perfect power output for the size and weight of the car i think mine made 174bhp on the rollers and the drivability of it is awesome especially on track, ie mid corner throttling, getting on the power early ect, i think its ben from up north who built a turbo version he had a build thread on PH stunning build and top bloke he might have different opinion on it ?? i have a couple of mates with r6 bikes and mine is identical on exeleration up through the gears!!!!!

jonabonospen - 17/12/12 at 05:33 PM

Well it looks like tomorrow is the day.................. the day when I pick up my chassis and first few modules for my build

Happy happy joy joy, happy happy joy

jonabonospen - 19/12/12 at 01:15 AM

Well today was the day when I collected the chassis and first few modules of the kit The shock set in as I saw Colin and Mark at Mac#1 filling boxes with numerous bags of nuts and bolts and pipes and rivets and bits and pieces What on earth have I let myself in for.

Well we got the car back together with a small shed / garden cupboard (new flatpack home build one) I bought in order remove some more stuff from the garage to give me a little more space. Spent the hour or two building the shed cupboard, then emptied out the van in to the garage. Surprising how much room the chassis takes up, especially with the roll cage on the top. That's something that I never really accounted for, that I would need to remove the rollcage and store it somewhere while doing the build..... or at least the initial stages of it at least. But it fits. And even with shelving and push bikes and a lawnmowers and stuff, it still goes in the garage and the roll cage will sit on the floor behind it, propped up against the 2 engines in there

So what did I do with my kit on my first day? Well I managed to cut out the floor panels and drill them and rivet them to the underside of the chassis. Got to say that I am very happy that I have got one little part done and am happy with how it has been done and how it looks. A 1st day of successful working on my project has help to put me in a positive mood about it to start with. I always think that if the first day goes well then it puts you in the right frame of mind to move on with the rest of it.

Here are some photos from today:

jonabonospen - 27/12/12 at 06:07 PM

There has been a fair bit of work on the car this week if anyone wants to take a look at the blog and tell me what bits I have done wrong

http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

PAUL FISHER - 27/12/12 at 06:53 PM

You are doing a top quality build there Jon, the MAC1 is a great bit of kit, love the barley grain trim inside, . I am sure you will be please with the result, keep us updated on your progress

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

beaver34 - 27/12/12 at 07:44 PM

nice work!

keep it up

jonabonospen - 12/2/13 at 10:25 PM

Just thought I would give my blog another plug as there has been a few updates since the last plug:

http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

jonabonospen - 23/4/13 at 10:50 PM

Got the wheels on now, car on the ground, and the engine in. Full update on my blog but here is a sneak peek:

brookie - 24/4/13 at 04:36 PM

if u ever need a hand buddy just give me a shout am only down the road well bout 15miles away

TimC - 24/4/13 at 05:00 PM

4 months and you're further on than I am in nearly 4 years, One of us is doing this all wrong. It's unlikely to be you. I have to say it looks great!

TC

jonabonospen - 24/4/13 at 08:03 PM

Cheers to both of you. Thanks for the offer of help, and thanks for the compliment. I really feel I have achieved something just getting to this point

beaver34 - 24/4/13 at 08:19 PM

Looks great,

I can also help if needed I'm just round the corner

jonabonospen - 15/1/15 at 11:08 PM

Well its took some time but here is the latest update on the car.

Since it went to the Mac#1 factory they have fitted all the bodywork and wired up the engine, and then in the last few weeks they have got the custom radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, and pipework and got it now installed. Even had the motor started up today when I went to see them, although only briefly as there is no exhaust for it yet.

Got to say the radiator definitely looks like it will be better equipped for the job of keeping the turbo motor cool compared to the standard ZX10R radiator that is used in these normally. 2nd and 3rd photos show the comparison between thicknesses of the custom rad and the ZX10R rad.

CosKev3 - 16/1/15 at 08:55 AM

Nice to see some movement at last

What's your plans with nose cone/bonnet to get them over your intercooler and get a direct flow of air into cooler?

jonabonospen - 16/1/15 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
What's your plans with nose cone/bonnet to get them over your intercooler and get a direct flow of air into cooler?

As it stands the bonnet and nose cone fit straight over. There is a horizontal plate that sits on top of the chassis, above the rad and in front of the bottom of the ail cooler, which should divide the air flow as it comes in the nose cone and force some to the air cooler. Also probably going to have a couple of ducts fitted in to the upper part of the nose cone to help bring a more direct air flow to the intercooler too.

ash_hammond - 16/1/15 at 10:19 AM

I think the orange car in the back right of the first photo is quite sexy.... :-)

sparkyj83 - 16/1/15 at 05:27 PM

At last lol. Cant wait to see this running
Tell them to clean my car its filthy .

[Edited on 16/1/15 by sparkyj83]

jonabonospen - 16/1/15 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sparkyj83
At last lol. Cant wait to see this running
Tell them to clean my car its filthy .

[Edited on 16/1/15 by sparkyj83]

The one I took the photo of the standard rad on, is that yours Jay?

CosKev3 - 16/1/15 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jonabonospen
quote:

As it stands the bonnet and nose cone fit straight over. There is a horizontal plate that sits on top of the chassis, above the rad and in front of the bottom of the ail cooler, which should divide the air flow as it comes in the nose cone and force some to the air cooler. Also probably going to have a couple of ducts fitted in to the upper part of the nose cone to help bring a more direct air flow to the intercooler too.

Ah right tidy.
Must be the angle of the pic makes the cooler look way too tall!
Its a intercooler with the inlets welded up isn't it the rad?

jonabonospen - 16/1/15 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Its a intercooler with the inlets welded up isn't it the rad?

Err.....................

sparkyj83 - 18/1/15 at 10:41 AM

yup thats mine alright looks like its in a right state .

CosKev3 - 18/3/15 at 08:45 PM

Any updates on this?

jonabonospen - 18/3/15 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Any updates on this?

I'd love to say the car is finished...... but it's not It's till at Mac#1 waiting for them to finish it and get it put through its test.

Last I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago it was just waiting for the exhaust system to be fully welded up and then would be in for its test and that they would be astonished if I didn't have it tested and back with me by the end of this month......... I'm starting to think this is unlikely given there is just short of 2 weeks of this month left now. It's so frustrating!!

nelmo - 11/4/15 at 09:40 AM

Am I right in saying it's been at Mac for almost 2 years?! Is there a reason for that? Just curious....

jonabonospen - 11/4/15 at 09:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
Am I right in saying it's been at Mac for almost 2 years?! Is there a reason for that? Just curious....

Yes. Will be 2 years in August. No reason on my part why it's taking this long. I asked that it be ready for spring last year and clearly it didn't make that date. Then it was due for test mid summer 2014 and it didnt make it. And we are still incomplete some 8 months later from the test they actually had it booked for. I keep chasing them and pushing for it and I keep getting new dates but then these dates keep passing by with it not completed. It's ridiculous!!

40inches - 11/4/15 at 12:08 PM

quote:
quote:

Yes. Will be 2 years in August. No reason on my part why it's taking this long. I asked that it be ready for spring last year and clearly it didn't make that date. Then it was due for test mid summer 2014 and it didnt make it. And we are still incomplete some 8 months later from the test they actually had it booked for. I keep chasing them and pushing for it and I keep getting new dates but then these dates keep passing by with it not completed. It's ridiculous!!

You have far more patience than I have
I would have to say that after 2 years the chances of it being finished are remote

nelmo - 11/4/15 at 12:47 PM

Assuming you're paying them to finish it, have you paid in advance? Presumably not and you'd expect it is in their interest to get it done, so they get paid and clear space in their workshop. Seems strange....

jonabonospen - 11/4/15 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Assuming you're paying them to finish it, have you paid in advance? Presumably not and you'd expect it is in their interest to get it done, so they get paid and clear space in their workshop. Seems strange....

Yes I am paying them to finish it. Paying as they progress. As soon as they tell me they need the bill clearing after its built up a bit then I have paid straight away without issue. I too would think it is in their interest to get it finished and out of the workshop and on the road as soon as possible.

CosKev3 - 17/5/15 at 06:47 PM

Hate to ask,but is it finished yet?

jonabonospen - 17/5/15 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Hate to ask,but is it finished yet?

I'll give you one guess.........

CosKev3 - 18/5/15 at 04:56 AM

Oh dear

IVA'ed?

jonabonospen - 18/5/15 at 06:58 AM

quote:
Oh dear

IVA'ed?

Nope

fridgeracer - 18/5/15 at 08:35 AM

So assuming you owe them no outstanding money (which you've indicated above) that's terrible service.

Why don't you go and collect it and take it elsewhere? Would MK or MNR would finish it?

How about: Scottish Kit Centre

jonabonospen - 18/5/15 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fridgeracer
So assuming you owe them no outstanding money (which you've indicated above) that's terrible service.

Why don't you go and collect it and take it elsewhere? Would MK or MNR would finish it?

How about: Scottish Kit Centre

I dont owe anything. Fully paid up member. I just want them to finish it so I can get it on the road. Taking it away from them and getting someone else to finish it will just lead to more headache and I assume a lot more costs.

jonabonospen - 21/5/15 at 09:46 PM

Spoke with the guys this week and they assure me they are trying to get a test cancellation slot if they can, but worst case scenario is that they have a test date for 22nd July 2015 booked (unfortunately it is necessary I put the year when talking about this so it isn't confused with the test date they had it booked for originally last year).

jonabonospen - 21/6/15 at 10:03 PM

Test date tomorrow afternoon.......... lets just hope they have got the car ready for it

daniel mason - 21/6/15 at 10:08 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath mate! Especially judging from the the rest of the thread ID be amazed it gets taken

jonabonospen - 24/6/15 at 04:39 PM

Car failed its test. Developed a misfire on the "speed test" when taken up to 70mph. This then caused went towards failing emissions test and also the sound test. Back in on 6th July.

OliilO - 26/6/15 at 07:51 PM

Good progress! Hopefully shouldn't be too bad to get sorted. Is yours the car with the turbo'd zx10 engine in it?

jonabonospen - 26/6/15 at 08:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
Good progress! Hopefully shouldn't be too bad to get sorted. Is yours the car with the turbo'd zx10 engine in it?

Yeah that's the one

OliilO - 26/6/15 at 08:17 PM

It looked really tidy last time I visited mac1 - it'll be pretty exciting when it's done...

jonabonospen - 30/6/15 at 09:16 PM

Appears the Power Commander had a firmware fault. Has been sent back to manufacturers who have supposedly fixed it and it is on its way back to Mac#1 now.

jonabonospen - 7/7/15 at 09:37 AM

Well it passed its retest yesterday..... but not without issue. The Power Commander issue for the misfire was solved but then it appears the water temp sensor failed and was making the emissions run far too high all the time as it kept thinking it was running cold start and pumping too much fuel through like auto choke to get it warmed up, even though it was actually warm. Just meant far too much unburnt fuel coming out the exhaust. Mark managed to figure a way to get it sorted and through the test so now its back at Mac#1 for the sensor to be replaced, aero screen and undertray fitted, and a permanent reverse motor installed (unfortunately needed to safely get it in and out of my garage). Then it will be off to be rolling road set up. All while the paperwork / registration is going through.

ash_hammond - 7/7/15 at 09:42 AM

Nice one.

dubzter - 7/7/15 at 11:24 AM

nearly there

bi22le - 7/7/15 at 11:32 AM

This is a mega car, i look forward to having a a good look around it.

Johneturbo - 7/7/15 at 12:47 PM

well done with the pass, you sure have patients of a saint, looking forward to seeing any videos of the rolling road session

CosKev3 - 25/7/15 at 08:25 PM

Any further updates?

OliilO - 25/7/15 at 08:46 PM

Is yours on the road now too Kev?

CosKev3 - 25/7/15 at 08:51 PM

Yeah.
Clocked up about 600miles now,love it!
Mine and zx12rdugs cars today;

Description
Description

[Edited on 25/7/15 by CosKev3]

OliilO - 25/7/15 at 08:55 PM

I've not been out in mine for about a month and missed it loads. Got a week of leave and a track day booked this week though.

You're in a good place for some good roads too!

CosKev3 - 25/7/15 at 09:02 PM

Nice one
Won't do any track days this summer, will next year though.
Which track are you booked at?
yeah some great roads from here heading into Wales

OliilO - 25/7/15 at 09:07 PM

Castle Combe - my first non airfield day, so should be good.

I drove back from Betws-y-Coed down the A5 yesterday in my Seat and have been around a few roads up there, it's great fun. I might be bringing the kit up that way for a few days before an Anglesey day in September. I'll give you a shout if you fancy a bit of a run out, or even better get the day booked...

jonabonospen - 25/7/15 at 09:14 PM

Paperwork been sent of and car being re-prepped for the road rather than the IVA. Hoping to get it in next few weeks.

CosKev3 - 26/7/15 at 10:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
Castle Combe - my first non airfield day, so should be good.

I drove back from Betws-y-Coed down the A5 yesterday in my Seat and have been around a few roads up there, it's great fun. I might be bringing the kit up that way for a few days before an Anglesey day in September. I'll give you a shout if you fancy a bit of a run out, or even better get the day booked...

castle combe is good
Only done 15 minute sessions in my road car but is a great track.
what diff are you running? If its a 3.62 I think you'll be hitting your limiter in 6th gear though.

quote:
Paperwork been sent of and car being re-prepped for the road rather than the IVA. Hoping to get it in next few weeks.

Fingers crossed you get to use it before the end of summer!

jonabonospen - 23/8/15 at 06:31 PM

Well here we are a month on from the paperwork going in and still no car. Off away this coming weekend and was really hoping to got in the Mac1

CosKev3 - 23/8/15 at 07:38 PM

Oh poo

jonabonospen - 29/9/15 at 09:39 PM

Another 5 weeks on since last update, and still waiting. Now it appears the DVLA have to come out to inspect the car which wont be for another 3 weeks or so

CosKev3 - 29/9/15 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Another 5 weeks on since last update, and still waiting. Now it appears the DVLA have to come out to inspect the car which wont be for another 3 weeks or so

Really?have they said why?

Proper wee take now

jonabonospen - 29/9/15 at 09:46 PM

quote:

Really?have they said why?

Proper wee take now

No idea why if I am honest. I'm just totally fed up with the whole thing!! Just got no love for the car right now as every time it comes up in conversation with friends asking me if its done, its just depressing to tell them "no".

sparkyj83 - 30/9/15 at 08:56 PM

I feel your pain pal .

jonabonospen - 3/2/16 at 01:03 AM

Well here we are now in February and lone behold, still no car!! I have been trying to call Mac#1 for the last 2 months and they never answer the phone. They also dont reply to emails that I have sent. Nor to the messages I have resorted to sending to them through ebay. I have had to drive down there twice in the last 2 months just so I can ask what is happening. Its a fecking joke!!

Looks like it will have to be yet another waste of 3 hours of my time to go see whats happening

MsD - 3/2/16 at 08:30 AM

Not good at all! Could you not bring the car back and IVA it yourself or get another company to go it? Or have you already paid mac to do it?
Mark.

gaz_gaz - 3/2/16 at 08:36 AM

Go down with a trailer and pick the car up.
Finish the process yourself or take the car to Danny at MK and let him finish it for you.
I would take a loss on whatever money you've already spent upfront with Mac1 or pursue them through the small claims court.
Your patience is admirable but it's now beginning to look like you're being walked over..

40inches - 3/2/16 at 09:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MsD
Not good at all! Could you not bring the car back and IVA it yourself or get another company to go it? Or have you already paid mac to do it?
Mark.

It passed IVA last July. Mach#1 have had it for the last 7 months "prepping" it for the road Whatever that means?
I drove mine on the road after IVA, while fiddling with it, if it passed IVA it's road worthy!

CosKev3 - 3/2/16 at 12:23 PM

Wow this really is shocking service now

As above,take a trailor and bring it from there.

Certainly can't see anyone that reads this now thinking about purchasing a car from mac1

sparkyj83 - 12/2/16 at 10:01 PM

You have got be kidding i me i started my build after johns and I'm coning up for a year now mines been on the road , this is beyond a joke .

adithorp - 12/2/16 at 10:49 PM

So is the registration done?

jonabonospen - 14/2/16 at 11:31 AM

I keep being told that it is the DVLA that are causing the delay. The tesst have been done and passed, the car has been inspected, but supposedly they just keep asking questions about the engine number, even though they inspected it. I have given copies of the receipts from me buying the bike etc to prove its not a stolen motor but am still waiting. Every time I ask about it though I always get told that they cant get hold of the specific people at DVLA or told they are still looking at it etc. Its ridiculous!

adithorp - 14/2/16 at 12:27 PM

All sounds very strange. I thought DVLA have stopped inspecting cars now and relied on the IVA to have done that. Not being able to get in touch with the person dealing with the application is also odd as I thought they all kit applications went through the same desk, since the local offices were closed and applications dealt with direct by Swansea. Some have chased up applications and had success, I think through the DVLA complaints procedure. Do you have all the details of the application so you could follow it up yourself?

CosKev3 - 14/2/16 at 12:47 PM

quote:
I keep being told that it is the DVLA that are causing the delay. The tesst have been done and passed, the car has been inspected, but supposedly they just keep asking questions about the engine number, even though they inspected it. I have given copies of the receipts from me buying the bike etc to prove its not a stolen motor but am still waiting. Every time I ask about it though I always get told that they cant get hold of the specific people at DVLA or told they are still looking at it etc. Its ridiculous!

As above,they are just using DVLA as an excuse IMO.

They don't inspect cars anymore,as all the local offices have been closed down.

It's all done by mail.

Get a trailer and get it from there

laptoprob - 15/11/16 at 05:25 PM

Hearing that your cars done and IVA'd Jon, whats stopping you putting it on the road now?

jonabonospen - 18/11/16 at 04:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by laptoprob
Hearing that your cars done and IVA'd Jon, whats stopping you putting it on the road now?

Not got DVLA registration still I dont believe, but more importantly we are struggling getting it mapping properly as just running rich all the time. So now the turbo is being removed to be tested. But as always its taking an age to be done!

CosKev3 - 18/11/16 at 04:32 PM

Oh dear

What ECU and injectors are you using?

Why do they think a fueling problem is related to the turbo?

laptoprob - 18/11/16 at 06:27 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by laptoprob

Not got DVLA registration still I dont believe, but more importantly we are struggling getting it mapping properly as just running rich all the time. So now the turbo is being removed to be tested. But as always its taking an age to be done!

Sounds like you are very close now though Jon, best of luck getting it mapped, shouldn't be too hard i'd have thought.

CosKev3 - 10/5/17 at 08:03 PM

Where are you at now with this?

jonabonospen - 10/5/17 at 08:27 PM

quote:

Same fecking place as 3 years ago!!

CosKev3 - 10/5/17 at 09:33 PM

quote:
quote:

Same fecking place as 3 years ago!!

No way

sdh2903 - 10/5/17 at 09:41 PM

Wow

CosKev3 - 10/6/17 at 02:10 PM

Surely we will see it on road this summer?

jonabonospen - 22/6/17 at 07:31 AM

quote:
Surely we will see it on road this summer?

You'd like to think so wouldn't you!!

CosKev3 - 22/6/17 at 12:32 PM

So that means it's still sat there?

jonabonospen - 22/6/17 at 01:51 PM

quote:
So that means it's still sat there?

Yes

sdh2903 - 22/6/17 at 02:58 PM

Someone is taking the Michael.

jonabonospen - 23/8/17 at 02:01 PM

Car should be back in my possession one way or another within the next couple of weeks. From what I understand all that needs doing is the turbo removing and either reconditioning, or replacing. Then its a case of maybe having to put it through another IVA due to the time lapsed since it passed its last test........ but to get to the point.... once its back in my possession I will be looking to sell it. It has dragged on so long that I have lost any love for the car, and with my new business (set up my own motorcycle showroom) the funds would be useful to use elsewhere. So would any of you following this post be interested?

Mac#1 Worx fitted with a 2006 Kawasaki ZX10R turbo engine. BigCC 350hp capable uprated motor. In Kawasaki green and with full rollcage. Also have a Flatshifter Expert which is not fitted to the car but which can come with it for the right price.

I have invested a hell of a lot of money in to this car, and far too much patience. If I get the right offer then I will let it go, but not going to give it away for peanuts just for the sake of it.

PM me if interested.

Open to offers including part ex for other kit cars, road cars, or bikes.

CosKev3 - 23/8/17 at 02:39 PM

Oh no

WTF have they been doing to it all this time?

Just hoping for you it's in the condition it was when you dropped it off,dread to think how much dust will be on it tbh

CosKev3 - 23/8/17 at 02:43 PM

Don't want to kick you whilst you are down but all your photos have gone from this thread due to the new rip off photo bucket set up

jtskips - 23/8/17 at 04:31 PM

I had a look round it last year showroom condition,

CosKev3 - 23/8/17 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jtskips
I had a look round it last year showroom condition,

Good to hear

Looking forward to pics when it gets home

jonabonospen - 24/8/17 at 04:08 PM

20170824_ 144356 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

[img]2017 0824_144328 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr[/img]

[img]2017 0824_144416 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr[/img]

[img]2017 0824_144437 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr[/img]

[img]2017 0824_144441 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr[/img]

[img]2017 0824_144321 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr[/img]

jonabonospen - 7/9/17 at 12:46 PM

Well the car is now back with me thank god!! Luckily Colin at Mac1 has been very helpful in getting the car back to me. We have got it in to our bike showroom now and started having a quick look over it. Seems the issue with the turbo may very well be that the oil return from the turbo back to the sump, is sat too low and there is not the gravity there to get the oil back in the sump, therefore it is pushing through the turbo and out of the exhaust. Further investigation though will determine for certain if this is the cause of the issue.

I have bit my lip all this time about commenting too much about the fiasco, as I haven't wanted to rock the boat and give them reason to slow things down any more for me out of spite from anything I wrote, and as you all know I have been more than patient and amenable over the period of 4 years that they have had it, but now its time to speak the reality.

I have spoken with the DVLA and they tell me that they have absolutely no record of ANY application being done for ANY car registration either using my own postcode or the Mac1 postcode in the last 2 years since the car passed its IVA. So it seems that Mark at Mac1 has just fed me a total bunch of lies over the years about DVLA wanting this that and the other paperwork and about having to come out and inspect the car. All lies. Absolutely no record on any of their systems for any applications, successful application, or any rejected applications in the last 2 years since the car passed its IVA. So all the paperwork that I have (unfortunately Mark has not supplied me with all the invoices he should have when I bought parts and modules) has now been sent off to the DVLA with the application forms and we will see how that goes.

I am absolutely disgusted with the service I have received from Mac#1 from start to finish, and in particular the huge bunch of lies from Mark time after time. Its as if he just couldnt be arsed to finish the work and get paid. Ultimately they have been paying their rent to store my car for free for 4 years. I have the money to get it done and told them so. I had the desire to get it finished ASAP and told them so. But 4 years later on and its still not been finished. If I thought they actually had any money then I would be starting court proceedings about it.

The lies started on day one of ordering the kit. I explained I had no experience car building, just bikes, and asked if there would be some form of instructions with each module / kit I ordered and I was told that "Yes there is, but they are just quite basic, not like the manual you would receive from Westfield if you were building one of their cars, but equally we are not the price of Westfield". I thought thats ok. But I never received ANY instructions or anything at all, for any of the kits. No written instructions. No diagrams. Nothing. The next problem then was the bodywork. I got to the point of needing the bodywork within 2 or 3 months of starting my build and had preempted this when I bought the chassis, yet they didnt have the bodywork. Months went by and I was getting excused of the supplier being too busy, then it was made but not good enough, then made but not really the right colour, at which they then said to just get the suspension and wheels on and carry on with the build and they would have to take it to their workshop when the bodywork arrived and they would remove the wishbones and fit the bodywork. So thats what I did; wheels on and car on the ground, engine in, loom stripped ready, fuel tank and lines in, brakes and brake lines in, pedals in, steering in. I then went to them August 2013 as they had the bodywork. So I told them that as long as it was done and finished and on the road for spring 2014 it would be fine. And here we are coming in to Autumn 2017 and they still haven't finished it and I have had to take it off them. Why my car kept getting put to the bottom of the list and other jobs coming before it I have no idea. You would think when they have a customer with the money there ready to pay they would just get it done, but apparently not. Other peoples cars have come in after mine and gone out years before mine. Jay who bought my original none turbo engine from me and ordered his kit after me, had his finished and registered and its been on the road 2 years or so now! Then they started pushing this cyclecar business idea and put my car to the back because they got orders in for them. But why when they had my car sat in their unit, taking up valuable space, they didn't just get it finished, paid for, and out of the way, I don't know. It then finally got booked in for IVA and they had a date to work to. The week before the test I was told everything would be done and sorted no problem. But then the day before the test when I called to see where I was to meet them, I was told it was absolutely nowhere near ready so would have to be cancelled cos they just hadn't done the work needed on it. Then went for test and failed on emissions. Then tested again and passed July 2015. Then the last 2 years have been full of lies about the DVLA holding up the registration, asking for copies of invoices, wanting to come inspect the car in person (which then Mark told me they did do). However all this seems to be lies as the DVLA say they have absolutely no records of any application being made for the car at all.

The entire thing should have taken them a few months from when they got it to getting it back to me registered and on the road.

Then there are all the times they wouldn't answer the phone when I was chasing them for updates and the excuses I was given about the phone lines being down which would go on for weeks, yet I couldn't get a mobile number to contact them. That just doesn't ring true to me. If you run a business and your phone goes down then you find a solution. I also always had to call them for an update. They would never call me. Mark would never call when he would say "will call you next week". The number of times I had to spend my time driving down to their workshop just to go get an update as they wouldn't answer the phone.

I could go on forever... but I can feel my blood pressure rising so will stop there, although there is so much more I could say also.

I would strongly urge anyone who still needs parts from Mac1 for their build to speak with Colin direct and get them ordered directly from him ASAP. And if you have a car there then speak to Colin about it as he will give you a straight answer on its status.

Otherwise though, the car looks great........

[img]2017 0905_135542 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr[/img]

20170902_ 133422 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133412 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133342 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133324 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133313 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133307 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133253 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

20170902_ 133245 by Jonabonospen, on Flickr

Lets now see how long it takes us to get it sorted out.

CosKev3 - 7/9/17 at 02:46 PM

Looking good

You will need a oil scavenge pump for the turbo oil return, fitted one to mine off ebay.

Daf - 7/9/17 at 03:37 PM

What an absolute nightmare - car looks stunning though. You read stories like this now and again and I just can't understand how a business can let sommething like this happen! If a customer has cash and is willing to hand it over for a service why on earth wouldn't you do it!?

jonabonospen - 7/9/17 at 03:53 PM

I know, and if anything, with it being a special build with the turbo motor it should have been an amazing advertisement for them.

adithorp - 7/9/17 at 04:02 PM

Doesn't sound good. Am I right in understanding that the car has passed IVA in July 2015 and it's still not registered? Isn't there a time limit on how long after IVA you can wait before registering, otherwise you need a new IVA?

Car looks great though.

jonabonospen - 7/9/17 at 04:05 PM

Yeah IVA was July 2015 when it passed. Not sure if there is a time limit or not. If there is though I will definitely be seeing a solicitor.

gaz_gaz - 7/9/17 at 04:21 PM

you're a patient man.

I know you advertised it for sale a while ago but I hope you get it registered and get some use from it.

best of luck

adithorp - 8/9/17 at 07:35 PM

quote:
Yeah IVA was July 2015 when it passed. Not sure if there is a time limit or not. If there is though I will definitely be seeing a solicitor.

I can't find anything that says they do expire. I was getting confused with the time limit that was imposed on SVA MAC certificates when IVA was implemented and they had to be registered within a fixed time or be put through IVA.

CosKev3 - 8/9/17 at 07:44 PM

That will be good then

jonabonospen - 3/10/17 at 03:14 PM

Well I have spoken with the DVLA today to chase up my registration and they have confirmed that they have issued the car a new 67 plate

So all that shite that Mark at Mac1 was spouting about them being awkward and wanting this that and the other, and to inspect the car etc was just an absolute massive pile of bollocks! The guy (Mark @ Mac1 that is - not Colin) is an absolute liar!!

But..... on the good news side of things, we now just need to fit the new AB Performance baffled ally sump, oil pump, rall cage mirror, and replace a few bits of silicone hose, and we should be good to go put it on the road for a trial run before then getting it on a rolling road

CosKev3 - 3/10/17 at 03:21 PM

Excellent news

Did you sort out the turbo return scavenge pump?

jonabonospen - 3/10/17 at 03:27 PM

Got that to do still