Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wasps nest in house
James

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Wasps nest in house

Got a bloomin wasps nest in the back of the house. They're getting in under the vertical tiles on the rear face of the house. Being a timber framed house the cavities are empty and I can imagine the little buggers have got up into the loft too.

Hence I'm terried to go in the loft too!

So, do I attempt to vanquish them myself or get someone in at £30-£40 (I'd guess)???

I really need to hang out some washing but they're going mental at the moment and I'm scared to go in the back garden!!! lol!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

iank

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Look on the bright side they're carnivorous and eat lots of pests.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

flak monkey

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Get someone in to eradicate them. You wouldnt want them to come after you as a swarm!

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Sporty

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
You can get a spray that you spray into the nest worked for me but make sure you've got your running shoes in when you spray it.
David Jenkins

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I had a nest in my loft last year - chickened out, called the local council, who linked us up with a local exterminator. Cost roughly £30 - £40, as you said.

I hugely dislike wasps, so I was more than happy to have someone else do it!

I also had a small nest in my shed, but there I could fling open the door, stand back a few yards, and blast the nest with a long-range spray.

hellbent345

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
get a big stick and stir the nest, that will be fun

seriously though, you can get aerosols and things, which can be sprayed onto them but for the love of god do it at night, they are much less agressive then, also do it now, because in the later months they stop killing insects for thier larvae and start getting pi$$ed on fermented apples and things, a drunk wasp is a proper angry wasp!

Al

James

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
The sadly pathetic thing is that last year an elderly female neighbour of mine climbed up a ladder wearing a carrier bag (with eye holes!) on her head and on each hand, and blasted her one!

Whilst I'm too chicken!

I'm not sure I can get to it with a can of spray as it's up under the tiles. Be damn hard to get my spray to hit the nest!

I'm also concerned that whilst fighting the voracious hordes I'll fall off the ladder!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

blakep82

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
theres a foam spray you can get, its got a good 7ft range on the spray, means you can take aim from a good distance, cover the nest in foam before they even think about coming out, and it kills them all inside. you can then go at the nest with a hoover. think the spray is about £10 (or it was 2 years ago) its good stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Jasongray5

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Get a friend over, the peer pressure will make you erradicate them yourself!!! Worked for me, although they were in a shed, half diesel, half petrol mix, couple of matches, few stings, job done.
The above method for you would be useless as its in your house. So get the spray out!

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

blakep82

posted on 24/6/09 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasongray5
The above method for you would be useless as its in your house. So get the spray out!

though don't rule it out it definitely works lol

[Edited on 24/6/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

b16mts

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
in my agricultural experience, badgers love wasp nests as they find the larvae tasty, alls you need to do is get a badger up there!!

who says you can't drive a kit car when you're 6'5"?

speedyxjs

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Get a friend over, the peer pressure will make you erradicate them yourself!!!

And it works better if that friend is female

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

James

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Get a friend over, the peer pressure will make you erradicate them yourself!!!

And it works better if that friend is female

I've mentioned it to this friend:

wasp
wasp

Sadly she's not volunteered yet!

Cheers,
James

whitestu

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Are you really a Soft Southern Jessie!

We had one in the roof cavity a couple of years ago. I just went up the ladder with a can of wasp killer stuff and squirted it in. They didn't seem to mind too much and were gone the next day.

It was a hot day so my PPE extended to shorts and T shirt!

Stu

Jasongray5

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is an assistant, with a can of deoderant and a lighter to fight off/distract the more aggressive ones, while you fill their home with the spray?

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

theconrodkid

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
you wimp,they are only small.
get a rolled up newspaper and swat them like a man

on second thoughts,get the pro,s in,stings can be deadly

[Edited on 24/6/09 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ashg

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
i had one in the shed once.

blocked up the hole they was getting in through then threw a brick at the nest and shut the door.

3 days later no more wasps.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

f1ngers

posted on 24/6/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I live out in the sticks and we get many wasp and hornet nests every year. I have already done 3 this year. - one in a horse rug, one in an old tractor tyre and one above a bedroom window. Get a can of wasp net destroyer and spray into the the gap in the tiles where they are going in/out. I use Raid wasp nest destroyer which claims to produce a 20ft jet and kills wasps on contact.
Do it late evening when they are all safe in their nest and won't bother you although I did one the other night and a wasp shot straight out at me! Even if it doesn't contact the nest it kills them in a couple of days as they have to pass through the 'poison' and they carry it into nest killing the larvae and others in the nest. It might take a couple of goes if they are using more than one entry/exit.

02GF74

posted on 24/6/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
unless you react badly to stings, then there is no reason to whimp out, what an itsy bitsly ickle wasp gonna do?

what about using antkiller - the stuff that comes in a tube that they eat and pass on the theothers?

kills ants and wasps are in the same family so worth a shot.

place a pint of lager in your garden next to the ant killer stuff on a plate, I mean, you wouldn't want to waste good beer.

iank

posted on 24/6/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
<jumpers for goal posts>
We used to make a wasp trap as kids.

Jam jar 3/4 full of sugar+honey+water mix, bit of tin foil fixed over the top with an elastic band and a pencil hole n the foil.

Leave it at the end of the garden and a few days later and it would be full of wasp bodies.
</jumpers>

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

posted on 24/6/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I believe there's another "James" that posts on here.
He's a real tough cookie, fights in some sort of boxing sport or other.
He's well hard. He'll sort 'em out.

Paul G

Macbeast

posted on 24/6/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
You can get wasp killer as a squirty powder. If you can see where they are going in, load that area with powder and they track it into the nest.

Yes, ONE sting is nothing but 100? 200 ?
Would spoil your entire day

dan__wright

posted on 24/6/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
my advise, just like the 'whats this thing in the groud' thread.............

hit it with a hammer

ashg

posted on 24/6/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
<jumpers for goal posts>
We used to make a wasp trap as kids.

Jam jar 3/4 full of sugar+honey+water mix, bit of tin foil fixed over the top with an elastic band and a pencil hole n the foil.

Leave it at the end of the garden and a few days later and it would be full of wasp bodies.
</jumpers>

dont do this as it can trap honey bee's which are already in very low numbers

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Peteff

posted on 24/6/09 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
wasp
wasp

If she's coming round I'll help you. Get me a garden hose and I'll suck them out through it, that should impress anyone.

Get some vinegar ready for if you get stung, it takes the pain out of them as they are caustic.

[Edited on 24/6/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.