Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Variable Speed camera's
Sporty

posted on 18/12/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Variable Speed camera's

I'm spending a lot of time driving around the motorways in London and through area's covered by the variable speed limit 's with speed camera's.

Do the camera's only operate when the variable speed limit sign is lit at lower than 70 or are they on constantly looking for anyone going over 70.

Ian

yellow melos

posted on 18/12/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
As far as i am aware.. they are constant...

so it's a constant money maker for the goverment

russbost

posted on 18/12/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen others drive thro' at way over 70, never seen one go off. I believe they are only operative when the warning signs are lit for 60 or less. Only IMHO of course!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/12/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Most appear to only work when there is a speed limit up. Never seen them flash otherwise.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

wilkingj

posted on 18/12/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I would assume they are always working, and change with whatever the variable limit is.
Road signs / directions evern temporary ones are now legally binding.

Hence it would be silly not to take notice.

More over, the speeds are reduced for a reason. Exceeding the limits is a BIG safety issue.

We have already had a close death on the list the Xmas.... Lets NOT have any more, especially with the current weather conditions.

Drive safely, and stay within the speed limits set by the signs.

I thought this was all a bit obvious

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dlatch

posted on 18/12/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
i have been through the ones around heathrow and just over what ever limit was posted at least a million times and still to this day never seen them flash once
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 18/12/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
ive 'seen' people go though them at a fair speed when the signes were off, notthing. only on when signs are afaik

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

David Jenkins

posted on 18/12/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Note that the latest cameras don't flash (or, to be exact, you can't see it - infrared, or something).

stevebubs

posted on 18/12/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Note that the latest cameras don't flash (or, to be exact, you can't see it - infrared, or something).

Correct - Infrared. If you look at them late at night, you can see the "flash light" is a constant red beam...

Chippy

posted on 18/12/09 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
If your talking about the M25 then the camera's work all the time, and change to the speed indicated. What you don't know is if there is actually a camera in the position. One reason you see people speed through the areas is they have radar detectors mounted, which tell you if there is a camera operating, how do I know, because I have one in my tin top, and go up that way fairly regularly. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/12/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
If your talking about the M25 then the camera's work all the time, and change to the speed indicated. What you don't know is if there is actually a camera in the position. One reason you see people speed through the areas is they have radar detectors mounted, which tell you if there is a camera operating, how do I know, because I have one in my tin top, and go up that way fairly regularly. Cheers Ray

How does it destinguish between up to 8 cameras in that one location????

Plus if you have a "legal" detector it'll be GPS based so just telling you the locations.

I've been driving on that road for 10+ years and the cameras have always been there. Never have i got a ticket when theres no speed limit shown... (neither when there indicate a speed cos i keep below it) I cant be that lucky !!!

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

morcus

posted on 19/12/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that average speed cameras record everyone and use anpr and the network of cameras to work out average speed, hence if they flashed visably they'd be going off all the time and it would be a distraction. I also thought they were set quite high above the limit when the limit isn't reduced.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/12/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Average cameras are a whole different kettle of fish, and i dont think Sporty was talking about them in the original post

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

MikeRJ

posted on 19/12/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
More over, the speeds are reduced for a reason. Exceeding the limits is a BIG safety issue.

Actually it's a very tiny issue in terms of road deaths, which is why the goverments obsession with speed cameras is so misguided. Putting all your efforts into fixing a problem that is a contributing factor in only a few percent of road deaths is not a good way to have a significant reduction in numbers.

Note I am specificaly talking about exceeding a posted limit which is all that speed cameras can detect. Driving at a speed inappropriate for the conditions (which is very often below the posted limit) kills far more people, and speed cameras are completely useless in this case.

Drive safely at whatever speed is appropriate for the conditions. Don't think that simply sticking to the speed limit makes you a good or safe driver.

[Edited on 19/12/09 by MikeRJ]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 19/12/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Actually it's a very tiny issue in terms of road deaths, which is why the goverments obsession with speed cameras is so misguided. Putting all your efforts into fixing a problem that is a contributing factor in only a few percent of road deaths is not a good way to have a significant reduction in numbers.

Note I am specificaly talking about exceeding a posted limit which is all that speed cameras can detect. Driving at a speed inappropriate for the conditions (which is very often below the posted limit) kills far more people, and speed cameras are completely useless in this case.

Drive safely at whatever speed is appropriate for the conditions. Don't think that simply sticking to the speed limit makes you a good or safe driver.

[Edited on 19/12/09 by MikeRJ]

I agree, just like the old bloke i was behind this morning in the snow and ice. I slowed right down as i could see it was danderous. He carried on at 25mph and skidded straight across the roundabout ahead. Only narrowly avoiding a car and the kurb.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

morcus

posted on 19/12/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I though the variable ones were average speed cameras.

Totally agree with you on driving at a speed suitable for the conditions,especially on a week like this. To be fair I've not seen that much bad driving with regards to the ice and snow. I agree with the reclassifing of some national limit roads for this reason, on my way to tesco is a road where it changes to national limit for about a third of a mile, in that space there are two really sharp turns (One is essentially a hairpin) and the road is narrow and wooded both sides and used by buses. Either side is 30, and with all this I always seem to see people trying to do 60. They accelerate really hard then brake like they're on a track to go round the corner (In the middle of the road).

Unfortunatly its one of those things that people either don't understand or just ignor like round abouts, indicators and multiple lanes.

Chippy

posted on 19/12/09 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
How does it destinguish between up to 8 cameras in that one location????

Plus if you have a "legal" detector it'll be GPS based so just telling you the locations.

I've been driving on that road for 10+ years and the cameras have always been there. Never have i got a ticket when theres no speed limit shown... (neither when there indicate a speed cos i keep below it) I cant be that lucky !!!
quote:

The distance between the camera's is too far for the detector, it picks up the incoming pulse at about 200/300 yds.

It's not a GPS location one, it just reads radar signals, and as far as I am aware not illegal as it doesn't jam the signal like some,

10 years on that road, I feel sorry for you, all I can say is you have been lucky to date, because I can assure you some positions definately do have camera's mounted.Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/12/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
At 200/300 yards those cameras are very close to each other.

Cameras are in most locations, doesnt mean they are active at no posted speeds.

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.